Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Easing Early Game

Many rpg games handle this by having NPCs in towns give hints/instructions.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Yeah, I think the game could definitely use some more in-game information and hints. People could probably stand to tell you a little bit about what is possible by dipping potions. Also, greater identify should tell you more, especially what the effect of blessed/normal/cursed has on an item.

A lot of these useful hints and instructions are hidden in fortune cookies, which are in turn technically available in the Dwarftown inn. I don't know who would be giving out potion advice, either. No NPC I'm aware of fits the bill.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Ruun already tells you if unidentified potions you have are of healing or cure poison. Some hints about alchemy and throwing pots are on fortune cookie messages, as Silfir mentioned.

I agree wholeheartedly on buffing Greater Identify, however. Currently, that has very limited or situational use. For instance, I remember an ID dive where I found the spellbook, and bookcasting the spell offered me some highly useful "free" identification, allowing me to e.g. know which water stack was blessed. But on a regular game, I only use GID to know if that ordinary or emerald ring I just found is a RoDS or ring of elemental mastery, without wasting a blessed scroll of identify. Sadly, a strong buff was turned down because adding all the possible effects for every B/U/C status of every item would be a very taxing task (which it would).
    "And light there be!"

wasn't one of the quickstarter things to make the game moddable? If that happens, I am pretty sure someone will add a mod with this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gosos View Post
    wasn't one of the quickstarter things to make the game moddable? If that happens, I am pretty sure someone will add a mod with this stuff.
    IIRC that was something Thomas and/or Jochen said they would like to do at some point, but it wasn't a specific promise of the kickstarter campaign, so it isn't guaranteed.

I hope they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    A lot of these useful hints and instructions are hidden in fortune cookies, which are in turn technically available in the Dwarftown inn. I don't know who would be giving out potion advice, either. No NPC I'm aware of fits the bill.

I find the hints given by the Fortune Cookies, Yggz the Fool, and the Mad Minstrel to be so opaque even as someone who has spoiled themselves to death. I can figure out what they mean now - most of the time - but I think you'd have to be some kind of over the top super genius to make any use of these tips before the fact.

At least most fortune cookie rumors are true, if somewhat cryptic
    "And light there be!"

if its kept this cryptic it will limit the appeal. they could add an option 'hints' or clues to the early game for people. Hardcore people can leave it off. if it was not for the wiki/guide I would have no idea what to do.

I am still not sure how people figured some stuff out.

This would be more realistic if they add a 'mod' ability to add stuff like this to the game. I think this is the kind of thing the fan base can add.

Well, we figured it out because we tried and got smarter(moving our Le closer to its potential ) in the process. Creating an easy option, would get more ppl playing maybe, but that would remove a big part of the fun of deciphering the clues.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 06-21-2013 at 07:32 AM.