Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saving the sage with raw chaos dipping

Default saving the sage with raw chaos dipping

I never really tried potion of raw chaos dipping, but I just had an idea..

Now that ring dipping has been changed, each potion of exchange gives you a good shot at getting that one wish you need. Each ring gets transformed separately now, so if you have a few stacks of, say, 3-4 rings and you have a few potions of exchange, you're very likely to get a wish.

But potions of exchange are rare. So how to get them? This is where potions of raw chaos can help. If you dip a potion with DL 2 or higher (for example a potion of raw chaos) into a potion of raw chaos and you do it on D:1, you have a decent chance of getting a potion of exchange. I did some very limited experimentation and it seems to be somewhere in the 5%-10% range. As a bonus you might get a PoGA instead. Of course with the ancient scythe you can turn any potion into PoRC, so if you keep doing this you should have a very good chance to succeed pretty quickly.

The drawback is that you will sometimes spill some corrupting fluids when turning potions into PoRC. But if you wear the elemental gauntlets it's not so bad. I converted some 80 potions in my test and received just 1 corruption (I had dex 20).

Dipping a potion of raw chaos into another potion of raw chaos is awkward UI-wise because ADOM thinks you want to dip both of them into something else (if they stack). A workaround is to equip one of them in your melee slot.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Dipping a potion in hopes of turning it into another potion that you will dip rings on to try and get a wish, then said wish would be used to ask for an AoLS. I feel an Inception joke is in order here
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    If you dip a potion with DL 2 or higher (for example a potion of raw chaos) into a potion of raw chaos and you do it on D:1
    So do both potion DL and dungeon DL have an influence on the new potion that you get, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    So do both potion DL and dungeon DL have an influence on the new potion that you get, then?
    The generated potion will be one of the possible for the current DL. You probably know that if you dip an item into a potion of raw chaos and the RNG rolls the same item as generated, you'll get an explosion for significant damage (100+ IIRC) plus a couple of corruptions (again, IIRC). If you dip DL2 items on DL1 you'll never get a DL2 potion removing the possibility of explosion. This actually a common tactic for all types of items (dipping higher metal boots on low-DL areas can give 7lb for example).
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

how do you get these stacks of 19 identical rings? now that pickpocket is nerfed, its harder to get rings. it sounds like you have to really spend alot of time to get an AoLS unless you get lucky. is it really that important? can you win the game iwth out those cure corruption potions?

> how do you get these stacks of 19 identical rings?
    You don't need stacks of 19. A few stacks of 3-4 should be enough.

> it sounds like you have to really spend alot of time to get an AoLS unless you get lucky
    You can use the method above and drain all darkforge pools.

> is it really that important? can you win the game iwth out those cure corruption potions?
    No, you only need to do this if you want an ultra victory. For a normal victory you can just let him die. The unicorn quest, the scrolls from the mystic and the scroll from the HMV give you more than enough corruption removal for a normal win. In case you really want more than that you could get the scrolls from the weird tome reward and / or bugcave. There is much more corruption removal available than you need.

if i dip 3-4 rings in a stack in a potion of exchange it will still be used up. the point to doing 19, is that potions of exchange are not all that common. is that correct?

these have to be blessed right to work?

an ultra ending means going beyond the normal win/loss to do other stuff? Ihavenot made it that far, so I'm not sure about this.

I'm certain you've done the normal loss a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by gosos View Post
    if i dip 3-4 rings in a stack in a potion of exchange it will still be used up. the point to doing 19, is that potions of exchange are not all that common. is that correct?
    Well in 1.1.1 you could set up a wish engine if you dipped 19 but that no longer works. Of course larger stacks still give you better odds now.

these have to be blessed right to work?
    Potions of exchange yes, potions of raw chaos no.

an ultra ending means going beyond the normal win/loss to do other stuff?
    It is a special way to win the game. If you want complete spoilers, see guidebook.

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Dipping a potion in hopes of turning it into another potion that you will dip rings on to try and get a wish, then said wish would be used to ask for an AoLS. I feel an Inception joke is in order here
    AoLS? What's that stand for?