Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Guidebook work

Another item, not content related. How big an issue is it that some stuff doesn't display properly in Firefox 3.x? The <pre> ... </pre> sections flat out don't work in Firefox 3.x. I guess the browser is regarded as the buggiest release to date though.
    ADOM Guidebook: http://adomgb.info/

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    How about adding more info on monsters which of them ignores PV or hits criticals. At least stone ooze and ratling duelist seems to target a vital spot on every hit (= ignores PV?).
    That question mark seems important to me. Do they hit critical every time or ignore PV? Ignore PV implies a "punches through your armor" message, does it not? While hit critical implies a "targets a vital spot" message?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Williams View Post
    Another item, not content related. How big an issue is it that some stuff doesn't display properly in Firefox 3.x? The <pre> ... </pre> sections flat out don't work in Firefox 3.x. I guess the browser is regarded as the buggiest release to date though.
    The what sections? I use Firefox 3.x and have never had trouble viewing the GB (or so I thought). Except now the background seems to be missing D:

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    The what sections? I use Firefox 3.x and have never had trouble viewing the GB (or so I thought). Except now the background seems to be missing D:
    I got sick of looking at the background. I also found it hard to read after really getting into editing it again.

The <pre> problem in Firefox: load Dwarftown 2.5 - does the map display correctly? I was using Firefox on Linux and it definitely did not. Googling showed a lot of other complaints about <pre> tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Williams View Post
    That question mark seems important to me. Do they hit critical every time or ignore PV? Ignore PV implies a "punches through your armor" message, does it not? While hit critical implies a "targets a vital spot" message?
    Ratling duelists punch through armor every hit (or at least, very, very frequently). I don't know about stone ooze.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    > written by me in particular] would not be included in anything
    > that guidebook is trying transform into...

Soirana, I respect you to no end, but don't you think the GB should
    be updated? There are a lot of questions about kinda basic stuff that
    people ask here all the time. How to garden, that kind of stuff just
    wasn't covered in the GB to my knowledge. The GB always gave
    tips and strategy hints in the past, so why not give some more now?
    Is it just the possibility of code-dived stuff that bugs you, or how I
    mentioned getting -petr from gorgon corpse eating? If you notice,
    I didn't mention it in a way so as to represent it as fact, I typed:

"I remember someone once posting on RGRA that eating a gorgon corpse
    while wearing an amulet of petrification resistance grants petrification
    immunity. Never tried it myself though."
    The following code-dived information concerning eating gorgons and petrification resistance is a part of an RGRA post containing tons of code-dived spoilers about corpse effects. It was also (probably) verified through in-game testing by the code-diver.

The spoiler:
    Code:
    If one doesn't already have a form of petrification 
    resistance, there's a very low luck-based chance 
    one will gain it by eating a gorgon corpse instead of 
    getting petrified.

Text included through editing below

In the thread named "piles o stuff and avoiding *crash*":
    Quote Originally Posted by warheart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnedToast View Post
    I seem to remember there is at least one artifact (justifier maybe? I don't remember for sure) that just shows up as a plain item type though.
    Sword of Nonnak, elemental gauntlets, AMW, purifier, Wyrmlance, Far slayer, protector, and probably many more.
    A handy list of artifacts whose unidentified names do not differ from ordinary items might be useful in the guidebook.

In alphabetic order:

ancient mummy wrapping
    axe of the minotaur emperor
    black rune-covered dagger "Needle"
    black rune-covered dagger "Sting"
    black tome of Alsophocus
    elemental gauntlets
    fine leather armor "Nature's Companion"
    heavy crossbow "The Far Slayer"
    medium obsidian shield "Protector"
    rune-covered halberd "Wyrmlance"
    rune-covered heavy mace "Purifier"
    staff of the archmagi
    sword of Nonnak

These come from the original guidebook and the quotation above. I don't think it's complete.
    Last edited by Nezur; 06-20-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Stone oozes does not care about PV too much... http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php?t=1139

It looks like the only difference between taking a vital spot and punching through an armor is that you get the first message when you aren't wearing any armor or wearing some light armor and the second message otherwise (elven chain mail [10s], clothes [40s] and robe [60s] generated the first message every time but nature's companion [120s], leather armor [150s] and dragon scale mails [200-220s] gave the second message).
    Wearing a shield seems to generate the puching through an armor message every time, even with a small eternium shield [24s]. Any boots (including iron boots [120s]) and any normal headgear [4-100s] (didn't try artifacts) seems to give the first message.

The <pre> and </pre> tags have been a basic part of the HTML specifications from the beginning, for God's sake. From the times when you couldn't even have hovered links or table backgrounds.

If they don't work on Firefox 3, I would just advise people to get a decent browser. I mean, one that at least supports HTML.

I had a look at the html files and it seems it's actually the <font> tag that causes problems. When I removed it, the map looked as it should.

Just had a PC who had petrification resistance from wielding Trusted One (or the other sword that gives resistance to everything in the game) and ate a gorgon corpse that I'd previously sold to Waldenbrook, hoping that I'd be able to gain the intrinsic from eating the thing, once I'd found another source. It did NOT grant petrification resistance, neither did it kill me.

EDIT: Sorry, I hadn't thoroughly read everything that's been posted, just the first few pages, and the last few pages, and missed how this had already been signalled.

PS - It's nice to see the ADOM Community so active after TB created this forum ( albeit with a different crowd than the one at RGRA when I was lurking around there), since RGRA was slowly dying out.
    Last edited by Jack the Ripper; 06-20-2009 at 02:35 PM.