Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Guidebook work

There are no ordinary items named "fine leather armor".

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

2.8 The Mad Minstrel

He randomly drops corpses that correspond to the danger level
    of the level he is on. In his own clearing, he will drop mainly
    goblin, orc, and bat corpses. If one leads him a few steps over
    to the BUGWIL level though, he will drop plenty of dragon and
    giant corpses. Pretty safe, but at least one greater bug will
    have to be killed first. That's not difficult though, as any
    offfensive wand will work nicely.
    But how do you get him out of his clearing? I tried it and he won't enter any square 2 or less squares from the borders...

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    There are no ordinary items named "fine leather armor".
    Are you absolutely sure? If that's true, the guidebook lists the unidentified name for that artifact incorrectly.

Andy, do you incorporate ADOMBot-aided research into the guidebook?

It's not possible or it's really unlikely to get petrification resistance by eating gorgon corpse. I tried that with level 1 hurthling bard total of 60 times:
    20 times eating uncursed corpse and wearing blessed amulet of petrification resistance: no natural resistance gained.
    20 times eating blessed corpse and wearing blessed amulet of petrification resistance: no natural resistance gained.
    20 times eating blessed corpse, no petrification resistance from items: 20 deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Moeba View Post
    But how do you get him out of his clearing? I tried it and he won't enter any square 2 or less squares from the borders...
    He is able to enter at least the column and the line that are next to the border in the west and the north. By border I mean the area that you need to walk into in order to leave the area. I tested this.

EDIT: Oh, you mean the Mad Minstrel clearing. Sorry, I don't know why I immediately thought you were talking about the barbarian glade.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    It's not possible or it's really unlikely to get petrification resistance by eating gorgon corpse. I tried that with level 1 hurthling bard total of 60 times:
    20 times eating uncursed corpse and wearing blessed amulet of petrification resistance: no natural resistance gained.
    20 times eating blessed corpse and wearing blessed amulet of petrification resistance: no natural resistance gained.
    20 times eating blessed corpse, no petrification resistance from items: 20 deaths.
    EDIT: Hid the information that refers to the gorgon spoiler because the original spoiler was hidden too...

Code:

If the code-dived info is correct, I think 60 goes is not enough. 
    I may test it later with the aid of automation software.

EDIT: I rechecked the RGRA thread, and the code-diver says the 
    chance is "still really low with all sorts of luckiness".
    Last edited by Nezur; 06-20-2009 at 06:45 PM.

Section 2.5.6 , about Glod. I just had a high-level gnome archer kill him using sulphur spit from the corruption. Teleporting him out of his shop works, btw. I then proceeded to try to make him follow me out of the village, but being invisible was a disadvantage, so I though I could try spitting him. He didn't become hostile towards me, didn't become aware of my location, just died(he did "scream in a rage" at each hit, but that was it.
    Then some muscular dwarves got summoned, but they couldn't see me. The only other notable thing was how Waldenbrook became hostile, so I had to kill him. The villagers, the elder, the priest, none of these were affected by what I'd done. Thundarr even assigned me the final quest, the one to slay the demon, and he later thanked me after saving the game, telling me to go home. :-)

So there you have it, a bit of information related to Glod and something about the spit ability of drakelings and those corrupted properly.

The <pre> problem in Firefox: load Dwarftown 2.5 - does the map display correctly? I was using Firefox on Linux and it definitely did not. Googling showed a lot of other complaints about <pre> tags.
    Hmm, well the reason I've never had problems with the maps seems to be that I've been using a different mirror of the GB or something.

http://derge.net/ADOM/adomgb-2-5.html <-- map works fine
    http://adomgb.info/adomgb-2-5.html <-- map does not

The Guidebook has the unided names of a few artifacts listed wrongly. "Fine leather armour" and "rune-covered heavy mace" are the only two I'm sure of - in the game they will be unidentified as simply "leather armour" and "heavy mace", and won't get those prefixes until fully IDed. NC can only be noticed easily from its odd weight, Purifier cannot be noticed at all (so all heavy maces should be picked up and identified).

I don't know if it's worth noting anywhere about identifying artifacts by their colour on the ground. This is particularly useful if zapping a wand of item detection upon finding out there's a greater vault on the level. Some popular ones are yellow ~ (always bracers of war), green ' (Preserver), black [ shield (protector). In greater vaults you can often guess that a black ( is Executor, a brown [ is NC, green [ is RoR, green = is RoI, etc.

Perhaps of note is that the following are all of the random artifacts in the game, and thus are all of the possible precrowning gifts:

Executor
    Skullcrusher
    Purifier
    Hammer of The Gods
    Staff of the Archmagi
    Soaker
    Scorched Spear
    Long Sting
    Serpent's Bite
    Wyrmlance
    Hammerhead
    Far Slayer
    Whirlwind
    Thunderstroke
    Bracers of War
    Ring of Immunity
    Preserver
    Protector
    Black Tome
    Nature's Companion
    Robes of Resistance
    IronFist
    Crown of Leadership

It should be noted that at least 8 of these 23 would be considered fairly undesirable unless very low level. Thus going for a 2nd precrown after getting a good 1st precrown often leads to disappointment, especially considering the extra effort required. Also the list is even more abysmal for beastfighters, who may prefer not to waste their time on precrowning at all.

Minor GB update: The farmer level 18 class power to pick better herbs actually makes them pick more of the "better" type when farming a dual herb square - more stomafillia than stomacemptia, more pepper than burb, etc. Pretty useless that late in the game, but that's farmers for you.

I must say, I'm so happy that horrible background has finally gone :P Could maybe do with a general light grey colour in its place though (#B0B0B0 or so).
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

With regards to gorgon corpses, if an effect is so low as to be almost completely impossible to reproduce... should it even be listed? There is no practical reason to include it in the Guidebook, especially considering the circumstances required. There is simply no gameplay use to knowing that if you have a way of dealing with gorgons already *and* they drop a corpse *and* you get extremely lucky with it then you can gain an extra resistance which will only help you deal with other gorgons.

Far more useful is the knowledge gained from real gameplay testing: Gorgon breath will not affect you or has an extremely low chance of affecting you if you have high DV (60 or more seems to guarantee that you'll dodge it), meaning coward tactics are a must around them. Gorgon breath also has a range of 2 (always 2 in my experience), and so can be used to help deal with cats or difficult monsters. They also can't see invis or in darkness, and are usually easy enough to outrun if nothing gets in your way.

Regarding acid spit, I suppose I can add a few bits of knowledge about it. Acid spit as it says in the manual does (L/3)d6 + (L/2) damage (with a min of 2d6+2). This makes it extremely effective early game, and it still remains very effective as you level up. However it does not ignore PV, making it fairly useless for DarkForge for example. Still, it can couple nicely with invis (since it acts a bit like a bolt spell, not revealing your position), and can be used especially well on enemies with resistances to other attacks. Doppelgangers, karmic lizards, the black druid, and many other enemies can be taken down easily with a bit of spitting. With a mid level 20s character the ACW fell to 15 acid spits after being stunned. The range of acid spit is dependant on strength, and if you get it high enough (over 60 or so) then you can even outrange the Archmage's spells. Drakelings should never ever forget the power of the spit, and characters who get the breathing sulphur corruption should always keep it in mind too.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    With regards to gorgon corpses, if an effect is so low as to be almost completely impossible to reproduce... should it even be listed? There is no practical reason to include it in the Guidebook, especially considering the circumstances required. There is simply no gameplay use to knowing that if you have a way of dealing with gorgons already *and* they drop a corpse *and* you get extremely lucky with it then you can gain an extra resistance which will only help you deal with other gorgons.
    People seemed to be uncertain so I decided to provide more information. This also helps prevent misinformation from being included in the guidebook.

It already states "Petrification resistance *IF* the PC is wearing an amulet of petrification resistance, otherwise kills the PC by petrification" in the "Monsters" appendix. That is incorrect according to the spoiler I posted.
    Last edited by Nezur; 06-20-2009 at 03:27 PM.