Page 21 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Guidebook work

This is just speculation, but I think a plausible model that could explain these numbers is the following:

* First, after each herb update, you roll a die. We know that TB likes dice. I don't know the kind of die, but let's suppose that it's 1d20, for example. We call the obtained number T, the "checking period" for herb generation.

* Every T turns, there is a check with a given probability P of herbs being updated. On the turn where herbs are updated, we re-roll P for the next generation.

This could account for these patterns in the data, because turns with many divisors in the 1-20 range would be more likely to appear, as they would be checked for more possible values of T (the first roll) than turns with few divisors in that range.
    Last edited by Al-Khwarizmi; 06-24-2009 at 05:00 PM.

The highest value seemed to be always on 0 (mod x) with every x I tried (tried with x = 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 23, 41, 49, 64 and 97).

Hmm, I think what I just said doesn't work because it would apply if the time elapsed from each generation to the next followed this distribution. Not the absolute turn count at each update which is what you have actually collected.

Anyway if with any prime number you get a maximum of 0, even with values as large as 97, it seems to me that probably the random factor here is not additive, it must have some multiplications in it. What puzzles me is that this factor seems to be calculated relative to absolute turn count. It seems strange given that the game only cares about the level you're in.
    Last edited by Al-Khwarizmi; 06-24-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    The highest value seemed to be always on 0 (mod x) with every x I tried (tried with x = 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 23, 41, 49, 64 and 97).
    I made a quick script to check, and 81 is the first one where 0 is not the most common.

Yep... there 0 has 250 hits and 27 happens to have 251.

I think I've figured out how this works now.

Each turn, a random number n is selected from 1 to 1000 inclusive. If the turn count is divisible by n, then the herbs grow.

This gets very close to the overall frequency, as well as the distribution between even and odd turn counts. I haven't checked further than that, but it looks promising. Why it's done in such an overly complicated way, I do not know.

Yeah, your theory sounds perfectly plausible.

As you say, it's overly complicated, but it seems to explain the data, an I think any other theory explaining the data will be more complicated than that (as it has to depend on absolute turn count and have some multiplication or factoring into it at the least).

Quote Originally Posted by furious_styles View Post
    Code:
    ────────────────────────────── uncursed weird tome─────────────────────────────

It is an artifact.

When used in melee combat it grants a +0 bonus to hit and causes 1d2 points of
    damage. When used as a missile it grants a +0 bonus to hit and causes 1d2
    points of damage.
    Not hugely enlightening.
    I finally got it last night and blessed greater ID'd it. My results were the same except -4 bonus to hit. I suppose that could have something to do with the PC.
    ADOM Guidebook: http://adomgb.info/

Something I would like to point out for the GB, as I've done actual testing:

People often believe generating Keethrax at a low level and coming back later is a wise idea because he will stay at whatever level he's at when the PC generated him. This actual isn't true. Starting at clvl 11, Keethrax and Yriggs gain 1 level for every level the PC has. So at clvl 20 they're level 11, clvl 30 level 21, etc. Basically, they adjust in power similar to molochs, but unlike in earlier versions, no message is given for this behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Williams View Post
    Interesting. Yes, I did hold off on that deliberately, because I find the implications startling. Does this mean that if the PC emerges invisible from the BDC without killing Srraxxarrakex that Sharad-Waador allows the PC to walk away unscathed? S-W is so insistent that I had a hard time with that.
    The answer to this, BTW, is "no"; no surprise there. S-W knows if an invisible PC leaves the BDC without killing Srraxxarkex. He's apparently using something other than sight. Although the PC can simply run away if the PC is fast enough and close the door to his room. S-W needs the see invisible intrinsic and the ability to smash doors.
    ADOM Guidebook: http://adomgb.info/