Page 22 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Guidebook work

One strategy that I think is worth mentioning in the guidebook is training strength in Munxip's shop. You don't even have to pay for things that you carry around inside the shop, and picking up something that you haven't paid for puts the shopkeeper at the door, so nobody will disturb you. Waiting for thousands of turns while strained! does use up a lot of food, but the shop is very affordable, especially if you've saved the carpenter.

I've just taken a L1 gnome wizard to HoleInTheWall for his first kill. He killed a mugger, then an outlaw came after him. Took PC to the top-left corner of the map, was adjacent to both the non-hostile Shriek AND the hostile outlaw. Didn't think I would be able to leave, but tried anyway. To my surprise, I managed, and both of them followed me. I thought the outlaw may have become non-hostile, in which case he would've immediately left me ( I know neutral SMC critters do that, exit with you then immediately leave)

So I arrive in Terinyo again, this time with the outlaw and Shriek. I immediately hear a shout of 'Yipyiaieye', whatever Tywat says when he's taken someplace which has outlaws. The outlaw starts killing goodwives, and keeps following me, I run round a building, hoping Tywat will show up to save the day, the outlaw kills another goodwife, I'm between Rynt's room and the house to its left, and, surprise-surprise, Rynt shows up and start bashing the outlaw. Tywat exits the house next to Rynt's hut, and, in-between them, they finish off the outlaw.

I never got to talk to Tywat before the outlaw was dead, to see if he'd give me a 'deputy badge'. I've talked to him now, but he just keeps telling me to stop Kranach. Rynt gives the normal, after-talking-to-druid-first message. Shriek keeps offering keys.Anyway, it was interesting to still leave the location whilst under attack, never got any attack message in the wilderness, and see Rynt exiting his hut. I guess it can now be used as a useful place for item storage, if I have the proper key...

This probably needs more testing before being incorporated in the sections about Terinyo, Holeinthewall, and item storage: 1.2.1. , 1.2.2. and 0.14.8.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    I guess it can now be used as a useful place for item storage, if I have the proper key...
    Not a very useful place, so far away from the CoC.

And before that you usually dont have too many items...
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic View Post
    Not a very useful place, so far away from the CoC.

And before that you usually dont have too many items...
    I was thinking along the lines of using it before going on an ID-(scum)dive, for whatever reason you might be doing that. Looking for wish for AoLS for Khelly, ring of ice for ToEF, Thundarr 1st quest monster ( once got a werewolf lord, and in the CoC it could only show up on levels beneath the dying Khelly, so ID all the way) . If you get loads of stuff and want to hoard them back to the CoC eventually using SoA (but only have limited castings of the thing) then you can just hoard in the elder's hut. Of course, you can always use the exact square you arrive on in both Terinyo and Holeinthewall.

The main bit of the possible update was the NPC's behaviour, which I'd never seen mentioned anywhere before, and being able to leave despite being under attack, yet not losing the outlaw on the way...

I've just taken a L1 gnome wizard to HoleInTheWall for his first kill. He killed a mugger, then an outlaw came after him. Took PC to the top-left corner of the map, was adjacent to both the non-hostile Shriek AND the hostile outlaw. Didn't think I would be able to leave, but tried anyway. To my surprise, I managed, and both of them followed me. I thought the outlaw may have become non-hostile, in which case he would've immediately left me ( I know neutral SMC critters do that, exit with you then immediately leave)

So I arrive in Terinyo again, this time with the outlaw and Shriek. I immediately hear a shout of 'Yipyiaieye', whatever Tywat says when he's taken someplace which has outlaws. The outlaw starts killing goodwives, and keeps following me, I run round a building, hoping Tywat will show up to save the day, the outlaw kills another goodwife, I'm between Rynt's room and the house to its left, and, surprise-surprise, Rynt shows up and start bashing the outlaw. Tywat exits the house next to Rynt's hut, and, in-between them, they finish off the outlaw.

I never got to talk to Tywat before the outlaw was dead, to see if he'd give me a 'deputy badge'. I've talked to him now, but he just keeps telling me to stop Kranach. Rynt gives the normal, after-talking-to-druid-first message. Shriek keeps offering keys.Anyway, it was interesting to still leave the location whilst under attack, never got any attack message in the wilderness, and see Rynt exiting his hut. I guess it can now be used as a useful place for item storage, if I have the proper key...

This probably needs more testing before being incorporated in the sections about Terinyo, Holeinthewall, and item storage: 1.2.1. , 1.2.2. and 0.14.8.
    Something similar happened to me the other week.
    I decided to go to Lawenilothehl for my first kill, but first I thought I'd stop off in Terinyo and read my spellbooks.

I got distracted, and next thing I knew I was in the Druid Dungeon, and a Goblin was whacking me repeatedly with whatever it uses as a weapon.
    I knew you couldn't leave a dungeon with a hostile, but I tried anyway. And managed it...

And what's ever weirder, when I came back to Terinyo the lil guy had vanished.

Confusing...

The main bit of the possible update was the NPC's behaviour, which I'd never seen mentioned anywhere before, and being able to leave despite being under attack, yet not losing the outlaw on the way...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascaron View Post
    Something similar happened to me the other week. ... I knew you couldn't leave a dungeon with a hostile, but I tried anyway. And managed it...
    I agree the bit about leaving a location while under attack is very significant. How to do it reproducibly is the question... ?
    ADOM Guidebook: http://adomgb.info/

Section 1.2.3.2.1

In any case, the bottom of the Unremarkable Dungeon, level 7 or 8, contains two up staircases. One of the staircases leads to the High Mountain Village
    Having done the UD many times now, I feel safe in saying that the upstairs to the HMV is always on UD8, which is always the bottom level.
    ________
    SC2 REPLAYS
    Last edited by sterjs; 02-24-2011 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sterjs View Post
    Having done the UD many times now, I feel safe in saying that the upstairs to the HMV is always on UD8, which is always the bottom level.
    Thanks, that has been changed. Once again, I believe I am caught up on specific changes. Post your update if I'm mistaken. A new compilation has just been uploaded.
    ADOM Guidebook: http://adomgb.info/

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Williams View Post
    I agree the bit about leaving a location while under attack is very significant. How to do it reproducibly is the question... ?
    I've also noticed that you can't leave a wilderness square if a hostile monster is next to you, even if it isn't attacking (because you have plunged the place into darkness-only did this with spell, so far, haven't tried crystals and scrolls, but they should work the same). Monsters tend to nonetheless stick close to a moving PC, and this means you can't exit the place as quickly as you'd like.

Appendix D - Wands: Wand of knocking does not work same way as knock spell. Instead it zaps a "knock bolt" which will knock every door on it's way. The knock bolt doesn't bounce or go through walls and it has finite range.
    Also wand of knocking does not open unlocked doors (but spell does).