Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Guidebook work

> A PC that trains a given skill due to both race and class will be especially
    > proficient with that skill.

This info is highly suspect in ADOM 1.1.1.
    I have, and just did some tests that indicate that this is true. Class+race training will give you a higher skill score. However the increase-dice will be lower, as if you had pumped the skill by levelups.

Did this to illustrate just now:
    Farmer class:
    Human - Cooking : 15, 4d5 dice.
    Hurthling - Cooking: 41, 3d5 dice.
    Grey elf - Cooking:13. 4d5 dice.

Hurthling starts higher skill, but has "used up" the best dice. Grey elf raised cooking to 41, and dice became 3d5 like the hurthlings'.

Re: darkness, I was thinking of compiling a convenient list of things that do see in the dark. Off the top of my head:

* all orcs
    * all dark elves
    * all minotaurs
    * all undead
    * all red dragons
    * great blue wyrm
    * stone golem
    * stone grue
    * stone snake
    * earth elemental
    * greater earth elemental
    * living wall
    * wall beast
    * diamond golem
    * eternium golem
    * steel golem
    * steel horror
    * carrion crawler
    * chaos brother
    * WMoPC
    * master assassin
    * fire demon
    * quickling king
    * quickling queen
    * greater claw bug
    * killer bug
    * least daemon
    * lesser daemon
    * greater daemon
    * jackal demon
    * black unicorn

Doesn't include uniques, and I may have missed some.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Killing certain chaotic beasts draws the PCs alignment towards lawful ... I believe this works all the way up to level 50

The same effect can be experienced by lawfuls using whips, on some occasions.

Poison hands corruption does not prevent the PC from 'U'sing herbs such as spenseweed, or doing alchemy.
    OK, one down and many to go. Killing chaotics pushing towards Law certainly does work for L50 PCs - I'll never forget the time I fell from champion status killing things on D:50. From then on I always kept a blessed amulet of balance handy in that situation.

The only thing I left out was lawfuls and whips. Is this simply not guaranteed? Try it repeatedly and it will eventually work?

I assume successful Alchemy with Poison Hands is regarded as a bug?
    ADOM Guidebook: http://adomgb.info/

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    I think the Guidebook doesn't mention explicitly that Jharod cures sickness.

Also, the SMC blanket always seems to be in one of the farthest squares from the stairs

So if you already have good Le and therefore get decent castings, you train Le more.
    Jharod vs Sickness (and Poisoned) is there. SMC blanket & Le updated.

It may be worth including a section discussing the effects and costs of prayers.
    The IGB page on Piety/alignment is very very useful.
    http://adomgb.sweb.cz/piety.html
    It includes crowning costs, prayer costs and priorities, alignment values, piety values, and effects on alignment changes.

Having said that I am of course not entirely sure of the accuracy of the contents of that page or the method through which the information was acquired - but a similar compilation of piety information would be a good addition to the GB imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Williams View Post
    SMC blanket & Le updated.
    now guidebook started including rumors... will need to revert to IGB...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Williams View Post
    OK, one down and many to go. Killing chaotics pushing towards Law certainly does work for L50 PCs - I'll never forget the time I fell from champion status killing things on D:50. From then on I always kept a blessed amulet of balance handy in that situation.

The only thing I left out was lawfuls and whips. Is this simply not guaranteed? Try it repeatedly and it will eventually work?
    To be honest, I just haven't tested it--I know it happens, but I don't know the specifics. I'll see if I have a lawful character kicking around with some herbs, a whip, and good piety, and will get back to you about this.

[edit]Tested this. It's extremely unreliable. With a crowned character at very close, I whipped the character hundreds of times and had it happen only a few times--I'd guess maybe 1% probability. You get the message "You feel remorse. You feel lifted of the dark spirits devouring your health."

Quote Originally Posted by mike
    Re: darkness, I was thinking of compiling a convenient list of things that do see in the dark. Off the top of my head:
    I can't imagine that molochs and balors don't. [edit]Okay, apparently neither sees in darkness although they will fight back if you attack them first, good to know... I think some chaos monsters might too.. trying to remember what in the Mana Temple can hit in darkness.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 06-17-2009 at 05:28 AM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

> Metallurgy - Essential for weaponsmiths.

Even posted a humerous poem about this one. If there is info on exactly
    what it does, please post it, if not, maybe mention that it's effects
    are currently unknown.
    Thanks gut, all has been incorporated except your remarks on shops and darkness. I'll get to those tomorrow.

I'm sure there's more to it than I know, but what is the mystery about Metallurgy? AFAIK, it does what the ADOM manual says it does. Identifies what metal an object is made from.

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic View Post
    And if they can smash doors.
    The ability to smash doors is in the Misc column at far right. No guarantees it's complete.

>what is the mystery about Metallurgy?

It's just hard to believe that a skill can be THAT weak.
    It's easy to identify ore types on sight, by looking at
    thier wieght. I started wondering if it may also, even
    slightly, increase the chance of generating ore from
    mining. Smithing bores me though, so never had an
    interest in testing.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."