Page 41 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: Guidebook work

First of all, I would like to thank you for creating this guidebook Andy!!

Without it, I would have given up on ADOM in frustration since I'm just not such a good player. Solving puzzles like what altars are good for is something I have no talent for.

Anyway, I have one very minor suggestion to make. In the rumors section, it says:

0. They say that dark elves are especially good in the night.

They see in Darkness.
    Now this suggests to me that dark elves can see monsters after casting darkness, which I don't *think* is what you mean? I'm not even 100% sure about that, as I don't play dark elves usually.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I've heard that if you wear the weapon in your left hand and the shield in your right you get +10 to hit.
    It's +10 to hit and +10 to damage--very good, actually. I don't know if the handedness actually matters or not. I'll see if I have an old save with both that I can dig up to check.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Now this suggests to me that dark elves can see monsters after casting darkness, which I don't *think* is what you mean? I'm not even 100% sure about that, as I don't play dark elves usually.
    NPC orcs and dark elves can see in the dark. PC orcs and dark elves can't.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Now this suggests to me that dark elves can see monsters after casting darkness, which I don't *think* is what you mean?
    I'm not sure where that came from, but PC Dark Elves definitely do not see in Darkness. I've been playing nothing but Dark Elven Rangers for weeks. They do not see in Darkness.
    ADOM Guidebook: http://adomgb.info/

Yeah, it's just enemies - orcs, trolls and dark elves are the main common enemies that can see in the dark and can be quite a nuisance.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

The manual says something about dark elves having better eyesight in dark places like the dungeon, so the rumor might be related to that?

EDIT: pc dark elves, I mean. Here is a quote from the relevant manual section:

They have an excellent perception in the underground. Because of their long absence from the sunlight, they are almost blind when adventuring in the daylight.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 08-20-2009 at 12:56 AM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

It's just there for flavor. Has no real impact on gameplay. I think the manual also states that hurthlings 'would rather enjoy a hot meal' , but that doesn't mean they get any more nutrition from cooked corpses than another race would .

EDIT: Well, I've done a tad more testing regarding 'causing commotion in Dwarftown', and here's what I seem to have noticed, on 2-3 different chars: Waldy is the one who most easily gets hostile, and the only one who can summon muscular dwarves. Waldy becomes hostile if a trap created by the PC kills a dwarf (though the PC doesn't get the credit for it in the kill list) , if the PC kills a dwarf who's been made hostile using ventriloquism and summons muscular dwarves. The rest of the town is all pretty quiet and just watches on as you kill them all. I've also noticed that once Waldy and his musculars are dead, you can keep splattering the other members of the city without anyone even flinching, apart from Thundarr and Ruun.I've even tried out the elite guardians outside Thundarr's, but not while in Thundarr's line of sight. He kept on talking to me, non-hostile, as before. If you attack Thundarr or Ruun, the whole town becomes hostile instantly,but no more muscular dwarves can be summoned if the shopkeeper is dead.
    Last edited by Jack the Ripper; 08-20-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    It's just there for flavor. Has no real impact on gameplay. I think the manual also states that hurthlings 'would rather enjoy a hot meal' , but that doesn't mean they get any more nutrition from cooked corpses than another race would .
    The exact line is, "A hurthling needs six meals a day to be happy." I always thought it would make sense to have hurthlings suffer no penalty when satiated and a smaller one when bloated.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Williams View Post
    I've read that the figures for training with Garth (especially to very high stats) are grossly inaccurate. Anyone confirm/deny?
    I've thought this for a while. I initially used the formula in your guide but soon realised it didn't quite work that way. I don't have a better formula I just pay ridiculous amounts to him for training which seems to do the trick

EDIT: Fantastic guide btw. I don't think I'd of ever gotten as far as I have without it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Double posting is fun!

------------
    0.13.7 Shops

> Shops can be robbed.
    > they can summon hordes of thugs who attack

> invisibility can be used to rob shops without making the shopkeeper
    > hostile

> PC with the Teleportation spell can teleport a shopkeeper out of
    > his shop

> it is impossible to choose the destination of the shopkeeper, this
    > is a dangerous technique

Are all good, but maybe we can add a bit.

Using teleport on the PC to rob a shop results in summoned thugs,
    non-hostile villagers, and AUTOMATIC cursing for all non-chaotic PC's.
    Chaotics never have to worry about cursing or dooming, even if the
    shopkeeper is killed in the most blatant manner possible.

Using the stun ray spell, zaps from wands of paralyzation/stun ray,
    offensive bolt spells, and mindcraft against a shopkeeper in the PC's
    LOS causes thugs to be summoned, and AUTOMATIC cursing for all non-
    chaotic PC's, but no angry villagers.

Using all of those methods while the shopkeeper is out of the PC's LOS
    or while the PC stands in a patch of darkness causes NO thugs, angry
    villagers, or cursing even with a non-chaotic PC, and even when the
    shopkeeper is killed while not in a state of panic. In these cases, the
    villagers actually fight the shopkeeper, which is hilarious.

IMPORTANT: If you kill ANYONE in a village while they are in a state
    of panic for ANY reason, the whole town goes hostile!

Ventriloquism generates no thugs, hostile villagers or cursing, even
    with a non-chaotic PC, and even when the shopkeeper is killed while
    not in a state of panic.

Engaging a shopkeeper in melee with a non-chaotic PC, even while
    standing in a patch of darkness will result in thugs being summoned,
    AUTOMATIC cursing AND dooming for all non-chaotic PC's, and hostile
    villagers.

Using the pick pockets skill on a shopkeeper, even in the dark will
    result in thugs being summoned, AUTOMATIC cursing for non-chaotic
    PC's, and non-hostile villagers.

Digging shop walls and kicking the loot outside is the safest and
    most game-breaking way of robbing a store, as there are no side effects.

It is important to note that shopkeepers can only attack with a coin
    throw once.
    --------------

You can also rob a shop dooming/cursing free by having the unholy aura corruption. The shopkeeper will sometimes (I'm assuming it's worked out from the "the -foo- suddenly seems afraid of you" roll) say something along the lines of "stop scaring my customers away!" and will become hostile and summon thugs.

The same may be true with invisibility although it's been a while since I accidently pissed off a shopkeeper that way.