Thread: Guidebook work

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    The guidebook stat listings don't include changes from character background or the random/questions choice, so of course real results will be higher on average. Overall they are accurate enough as a general comparison between character types, but shouldn't be relied on to predict real stats for chars.
    Again, some of them are pretty far off. A troll barbarian gets ~10-12 points higher To than the predicted values, and a similar amount of St more. In less extreme cases, you still see fairly consistent differences of several points in all stats. An average human fighter starting with an average 17 To instead of a predicted 14 is a fairly significant effect. Also, it's worth pointing out that background and questions should only affect the scatter, not the averages, since some of these will lower your stats, not raise them. The Guidebook values don't predict the averages correctly though--they systematically underestimate the PC's stats.

More to the point, as I've described in the indicated thread, I think that the algorithm used to generate the table is incorrect, and have demonstrated a method that seems to correctly predict the starting stats of a given race/class combination with significantly higher accuracy. Given that we can predict the starting stats with much higher accuracy than the Guidebook table, I don't see any reason not to take advantage of that.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 11-03-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.