Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Guidebook work

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    Obvious proof for that is berserker lords and rust monsters being generated on D:1 eventually.
    I met a moloch once on D:2 and a doppelganger king on D:1.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

I think the Guidebook doesn't mention explicitly that Jharod cures sickness. This is quite useful IMHO, sometimes I have made all the way from CoC:2 or so to VD because I had no means of curing sickness.

Also, the SMC blanket always seems to be in one of the farthest squares from the stairs in the x-axis (not necessarily in the y-axis), and the "paces" specified in the scroll seem to be roughly 1 square = 2 paces (although I don't exactly know the way in which the path is calculated: the 1 square = 2 paces equivalence seems to always give a pretty good approximation to the shortest path but it seems to be off by around +/- 5% most of the time).

Also, I'm pretty sure from playing lots of wizards that Le is easier to train by reading books when it's already decently high (If I roll a wizard with 17 or 18 Le, I typically read my books in Terinyo and Le will go up pretty soon, in the first dungeon I enter. However, if I roll a wizard with 11 or 12 Le, not only I may have problems reading the books, but also Le will not go up). I suspect that the Le training that you get is proportional to the number of castings you get from reading. So if you already have good Le and therefore get decent castings, you train Le more.
    Last edited by Al-Khwarizmi; 06-16-2009 at 10:28 AM.

I am currently going through the GB with a fine-toothed comb,
    and will post hordes in a day or so.

I re-downloaded the GB from the official site just now, and still
    can't find the potion of cure corruption damage info in Appendix E.
    Am I blind?
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I made some tests a while ago about how often herb generations occur (level 50 wizard in UD:1).
    Total of 7889 generations were made (pasting a lot of wait + eat commands in sage and parsing debug log afterwards).

I'm not sure if it's exponentially distributed or not. It looks quite a lot like exponential function and the best correlating function that I could find was exponential function, except that generations in < 5 turns seems to have way too small probability for it to be an exponential (if it were exponential function, 1 turn generations should be most common, 2 turns second most common and so on).
    The lowest number of turns between generations were 1 (occured on consecutive turns) and it happened only 35 times. The highest 5 were 1301, 1276, 1049, 1011 and 999 turns so there doesn't seem to be upper limit.

The average number of turns between 2 generations were 134 turns and median was 92 turns (half of the generations occured in less or equal than 92 turns and half in more or equal than 92 turns).

If someone is interested in looking the data collected, it can be found here: http://www.students.tut.fi/~maki36/a...enerations.txt
    There are only numbers in the file and every number means how many turns it took for next generation to occur.

are these in order of happening?
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    are these in order of happening?
    It was made in 5 games but those are in order where the generations occured within games.
    First 75 numbers are from first game, next 799 from second game, next 1354 from third game, next 3357 from fourth game and last 2304 from the fifth game.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    I
    I re-downloaded the GB from the official site just now, and still
    can't find the potion of cure corruption damage info in Appendix E.
    Am I blind?
    http://www.adomgb.info/adomgb-app-E.html

does list only damage although...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

One thing that confused me in the guidebook when I first played the game was the Darkforge section. It says that you should gain at least five levels killing the initial golems and this clearly isn't the case (unless you go there really early).

Indeed. I manage to go there early enough to gain 2 levels sometimes, but 5? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    I made some tests a while ago about how often herb generations occur (level 50 wizard in UD:1).
    Total of 7889 generations were made (pasting a lot of wait + eat commands in sage and parsing debug log afterwards).

I'm not sure if it's exponentially distributed or not. It looks quite a lot like exponential function and the best correlating function that I could find was exponential function, except that generations in < 5 turns seems to have way too small probability for it to be an exponential (if it were exponential function, 1 turn generations should be most common, 2 turns second most common and so on).
    The lowest number of turns between generations were 1 (occured on consecutive turns) and it happened only 35 times. The highest 5 were 1301, 1276, 1049, 1011 and 999 turns so there doesn't seem to be upper limit.

The average number of turns between 2 generations were 134 turns and median was 92 turns (half of the generations occured in less or equal than 92 turns and half in more or equal than 92 turns).

If someone is interested in looking the data collected, it can be found here: http://www.students.tut.fi/~maki36/a...enerations.txt
    There are only numbers in the file and every number means how many turns it took for next generation to occur.
    I made a graph of the data and it does seem like a geometric distribution (the discrete equivalent to exponential) is the best fit, with p=1/135. The low values at the start can be explained by random variance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg f.jpg (11.1 KB, 46 views)