Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Creator's Day 2013: Multi Roman Republic Game

Default Creator's Day 2013: Multi Roman Republic Game

For those who aren't aware, July 2 is Creator's Day. This is a very special day in Ancardia where all characters are blessed with intrinsic +Fate and +Luck when they are generated. We normally have an annual contest of some kind in honour of this day. I thought it might be crazy/fun to try this year as a giant round of Roman Republic-style games.

A Roman Republic game, for those who haven't played before, is a game where a single character is generated, and players pass around the savegame after a certain number of turns of play, with the goal of ultimately winning the game.

What I'd like to try is something slightly more complicated. Here's the format I was thinking.

-Anyone interested in participating generates a random character on July 2nd. They immediately post the .vlg, and can play the first 2000 turns. Afterward, post the savegame, plus .vlg updating your progress, and a brief description of what you've been up to.

-Any other player can "claim" that character by saying so on the forums. If two players try to claim at the same time, whichever one officially posted first on the board will be given precedence. They will then play that character for 2000 (or maybe 4000?) turns, and repost/report their results. This is entirely first-come-first serve, except that:
    --You can't play the same character twice in a row.
    --You can't claim two characters at once.
    --If I feel that someone is really abusing the system and others aren't getting a fair chance, I may ask you to take a rest for awhile.

-If the character dies, they are simply eliminated from the pool. If a character dies under your watch, you aren't penalized unless:
    --You attempted to deliberately sabotage or murder the character. In this case, you will be removed from the player roster and the character will be regenerated from the previous save.

As far as the version is concerned, I'm thinking pre5 or 1.1.1 to maximize consistency. I don't remember specifically what problems were around in pre5, so I don't remember which one is more playable. Open to recommendations.

Is anyone interested in doing something like this? Questions, comments, concerns?
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

can you change your clock on your pc to july 2nd to do this anytime you want?

Yes. It is generally frowned upon to do so, but there's no reason you can't.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

What is the goal? Just a group effort to get as many characters as possible to win? With so many characters to keep track of it could take a long time, so I wonder if maybe it's better to stick to a single character, or a small number in any case.

Also count me in.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    What is the goal? Just a group effort to get as many characters as possible to win? With so many characters to keep track of it could take a long time, so I wonder if maybe it's better to stick to a single character, or a small number in any case.

Also count me in.
    Goal is to try to get as many winners as possible yes. I liked the idea of having lots of characters precisely because it would be hard to keep track of them and the whole thing would be kind of chaotic (also because it gives people more opportunities to play).

I think it would be chaotic early but many would die off quickly enough. Also we'd have to put up the initial vlg before proper play so that early deaths aren't ignored.

I'm in, sounds fun
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

There should be atleast some pre14 characters along with 1.1.1 ones. Comparing them could be interesting, game changed alot.

Sounds fun, so count me in :-)
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by asdf View Post
    There should be atleast some pre14 characters along with 1.1.1 ones. Comparing them could be interesting, game changed alot.
    We want the game to be accessible to everyone though, and the save games aren't compatible between versions.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    We want the game to be accessible to everyone though, and the save games aren't compatible between versions.
    "some characters", not "all characters".