Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto-explore feature

Default Auto-explore feature

What people think about this?
    I'm talking about similar feature as in Tome4 for example. When you give the command to auto-explore, char moves around level uncovering unknown areas as long as it doesn't encounters something, i.e loot, monster, pool, message etc.

Please elaborate a little, do you click somewhere on the map and the character automatically tries to go there? Stops when it cannot get nearer or when seeing monsters, items, features.

It would be cool I suppose. Well, not so much for uncovering unknown areas, but rather moving to known areas.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 08-26-2013 at 08:03 AM.

I mean character moves around level until everything is visible. Of course it would stop on closed doors also.

It could just be an auto-move feature to go already known parts of the map.
    Last edited by Saracen; 08-26-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Sorry, I edited my first post while you were posting.

Good idea for Adom 2.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Good idea for Adom 2.
    In fact, ADOM 2 already has it!

I wouldn't use this, because I like to be in control of my character instead of letting the machine play for me, even if it only walks around and takes all possible precautions. That's also why I don't use macros, except for testing situations where e.g. a ton of wishes for something must be made.

But I wouldn't mind if it gets added, as long as it can be turned off.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    I wouldn't use this, because I like to be in control of my character instead of letting the machine play for me, even if it only walks around and takes all possible precautions. That's also why I don't use macros, except for testing situations where e.g. a ton of wishes for something must be made.

But I wouldn't mind if it gets added, as long as it can be turned off.
    Same here, I have tried that feature in several roguelikes (including ADOM 2) and I prefer being more in control (like with w+arrows). The autopilot makes me lose some immersion.

I think it's fine that the feature is present for people who wants to use it, though.

I just hold down the button and make lawnmower noises when I run over a mob. I feel the move-waiting thing we have now is good enough.
    P1: This game is so Retired!! How does a wooden ring protect you from becoming bacon??
    P2:
    Just drink Tobasco for the intrinsic you retire!!

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    Same here, I have tried that feature in several roguelikes (including ADOM 2) and I prefer being more in control (like with w+arrows). The autopilot makes me lose some immersion.
    Yeah. That's also why I'm not a big fan of overly big levels. It harms the immersion, and the pacing, too. Especially as there are not yet almost any interesting dungeon features in ADOM II.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].