Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a Posting for 'Death by RNG'?

Default Is there a Posting for 'Death by RNG'?

I see that there are posting drops for 'YAVP' and 'YASD', but is there a posting location for 'VARNG'--"Victim of Adom's Random Number Generator"?

No such thing. All of these go away with experience. Even if your level 2 char will die with a stone-block trap that you couldn't have seen, I will tell you not to wander around dungeons with your health-bar half-empty cause a stone block trap can kill you...

No, I believe all deaths are just stupid.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 08-26-2013 at 03:20 PM.

So my full-health character getting melted by acid in a hallway was YASD?

Quote Originally Posted by kordi82 View Post
    No such thing. All of these go away with experience. Even if your level 2 char will die with a stone-block trap that you couldn't have seen, I will tell you not to wander around dungeons with your health-bar half-empty cause a stone block trap can kill you...
    I mostly agree, but you're taking it a bit far. What if I am playing a mist elf and I do walk around with full health?

Quote Originally Posted by BoloDigby
    If it happens at level 1 by a trap it's fair to blame the RNG. If it happens at level 20 by the breath of an ancient black dragon, it's not, it could reasonably have been prevented.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    I mostly agree, but you're taking it a bit far. What if I am playing a mist elf and I do walk around with full health?

If it happens at level 1 by a trap it's fair to blame the RNG. If it happens at level 20 by the breath of an ancient black dragon, it's not, it could reasonably have been prevented.

Ok... maybe this is a fair approach. But truth be told... compared to the duration of the entire game let's say 20-30 hours... you can blame RNG for the first 20 minutes ;P.

Quote Originally Posted by BoloDigby View Post
    Yes.
    Train and use detect traps skill on every step, several times... Don't have it? Go pickpocket mobs in wilderness until you can learn it from thieves guild. Not enough money? Hunt in wilderness or wait at stairs for mobs to attack you. Lawful? Convert by killing beggars etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Yes.
    Train and use detect traps skill on every step, several times... Don't have it? Go pickpocket mobs in wilderness until you can learn it from thieves guild. Not enough money? Hunt in wilderness or wait at stairs for mobs to attack you. Lawful? Convert by killing beggars etc...
    Something like that...
    But truth is Adom is a little bit like chess at certain point. With experience you can predict situations before they even happen. I really do not remember the last time I died that I could say that RNG was to be blamed. Usually when my chars die is when I get a little bit bored with the game and I take risks that I am aware that exist but I am too lazy to do something about them (although I can). i.e. I fight steel golems with my health at 120 HP which is 70% of healthbar. I have spensweed in my pocket and I tell myself I will kill this one and then I will use spensweed although I am perfectly aware that stell golem can critical hit me for 120 HP....

A char that I somehow cannot forget was a barbarian (around level 15) who was already crowned with vanquisher and absolutely overpowered all around. Back in those days I had never won the game, so I wanted to use every opportunity and made my char sick on purpose in order to train his toughness even higher. Well, this guy was walking around the bottom level of the dwarven graveyard when he suddenly fell into a pit trap and in the very same round got the last fever attack... 100 points of damage ment insta death. I was really disappointed because I thought I would never again get such a good chance to win the game.
    Last edited by GordonOverkill; 08-26-2013 at 04:05 PM.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

So, in Star Trek / Capt. Kirk / Kobayashi Maru parlance, there is no such thing as an 'unwinable' Adom scenario?