Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there a Posting for 'Death by RNG'?

This was very close to "death by rng" (at 25:40 minutes) ;-) My char had intrinsic teleport controll and he had a ring of teleport controll as backup if he should lose it, so usually he should have been well prepared... well, sometimes the rng doesn't care about "usually".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tQEV92ndy8

e: Of course I should have checked my equipment before searching for the door, so I could have killed the one golem with the construct slayers and afterwards wait untill teleportitis kicks in again... still it was kind of nasty behavior of the rng.
    Last edited by GordonOverkill; 08-28-2013 at 09:26 PM.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

It's almost as if both teleports was coded in and not RNGed. Good choice on using the crystal, I wonder whether the program would have not teleported your character away if you had not used it.

Ok, I think I found one.

Ambushed by a grizzly bear two steps out of Terinyo. It started right next to me and had 110 speed. My 104-speed mist elf assassin couldn't fight and couldn't run away.

And apparently "He was lucky."?

Quote Originally Posted by mimhoff View Post
    Ok, I think I found one.

Ambushed by a grizzly bear two steps out of Terinyo. It started right next to me and had 110 speed. My 104-speed mist elf assassin couldn't fight and couldn't run away.

This is still NOT unwinable scenario... unless he was able to one hit you on coward. If in such scenario what I would do is to run away on coward and tried to circle my life to fall below 20% to get coward energy boost. Not sure how accurate bear was and how much damage output it had but remember that you start with a prayer, so you have at least one chance to heal. Another option would be to try to true bersek, but depending on your luck you could be dead before you managed to remove your armor.

Success is not guaranteed but there is still a chance.

If it was a humanoid and not an animal, there is also item drop trick. You drop random items in hopes the chasing moster picks it up and loses one turn. This you can use to leave the map.

Well, assassins also start with potions of poison and thrown potions of poison never miss. Still need some luck on the bear not one hitting your HP to <1 over the next few turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    Well, assassins also start with potions of poison and thrown potions of poison never miss. Still need some luck on the bear not one hitting your HP to <1 over the next few turns.
    I've done that a lot when I meet the raider lord early. Thrown potions of poison never miss... but when I throw poison on Coward they don't poison the target! I think you have to do damage for a successful posioning.

Yeah, I quickly tested this and it seems true, best is probably to defensive and hope for the best. I don't think they'll one hit a mist elf. I did 3 test runs and all three were able to kill the bear this way in coward mind you. The second one did not manage to poison the bear with 2 of the potions. 5PV is fairly safe and all combat damages is halved apparently for mist elves.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 08-30-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mimhoff View Post
    Ok, I think I found one.

You should have taken the Sheriff with you

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    You should have taken the Sheriff with you
    Of course!

I have been thinking of taking him with me to the HMV. Or trying to.
    He'd be a big help to not levelling too much in the SMC...