Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Game progression help.

Mimic hivemind was amazingly bad luck, though. It is perhaps the most dangerous monster in the entire game, at least I'm fairly sure it ranks number one in the list of monsters that killed high level characters.

Even the most strongly voiced opinions of mine don't take on the power of law.
    Wait, they don't?
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

To be honest, when I see a mimic hivemind in the late game, I put on an amulet of free action and charge with whatever I have available. It's a monster that requires preparation and care, but I don't find them so scary as to avoid them, to be honest. But maybe I have just been lucky with rolls.

The late-game monsters I do avoid (at least if I'm not a very good spellcaster) are doppelganger kings and berserker emperors, though. Doppelganger kings are just... brutal.

Well, as the OP learned, they're almost certainly lethal without paralysis resistance.

With it... well, they have decent HP, a powerful melee attack, and are fast enough to run you down with 7lbs (>100 damage per hit against decent PV and 160 speed is typical). I put them on about the same level as werewolf kings. If you try to fight one in melee, you'll very quickly realize this it is an endgame monster and not just something you can mow over. The kind of thing that is probably worth teleporting passed if you find a threat room of them. They're a lot more dangerous than berserker kings, IMHO.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by meekrab View Post
    Yeah, never fight in the arena after becoming the champion, *any* non-unique monster can be generated as an opponent.
    Very wrong piece of advice. The right piece of advice is: "Never enter arena without means of teleportation." If you find something in the arena you cannot deal with, simply teleport away.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    To be honest, when I see a mimic hivemind in the late game, I put on an amulet of free action and charge with whatever I have available. It's a monster that requires preparation and care, but I don't find them so scary as to avoid them
    Of course, but as a mimic you may not see it before it's too late.. that's why I said "most dangerous". (And meeting them in the arena without a way to teleport out or any source of -par is just horrible.)
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Heclapar View Post
    Well, never mind. The character died to a freaking mimic hivemind during an arena rematch that i did to get some gold.The fight went like this "You slightly wound the mimic hivemind.The mimic hivemind hits you.You are paralysed... You died" He dropped me from 200 health to zero
    If you want to make progress and achieve your first win, have one thing very clear. Don't do anything other than the necessary for a regular win, e.g., don't visit other dangerous locations, don't try to clear greater vaults, don't explore the levels deep down the CoC, just find the stairs. If you follow this piece of advice, you'll limit the odds of making a mistake and dying.

My second piece of advice is play a wizard. Being able to kill monsters en masse and from afar, added to utility spells like teleport and invisibility, is *very* valuable.

Cheers!
    1 ULE, 1 UNE, 18 regular endings. Won with every race. Trying to win with every class. Never won with farmer, merchant, mindcrafter and thief.

Offtopic

quik - looking at your footnote. Try mindracfter, for me it's my favorite class by far. Very different from all the other classes, has no penalties that spellcasters have for weapon combat and past level 30 becomes a true monster . Greater Telekinetic Blast for the win! .

Farmer is also very fun class and much better that most people believe it is.

P.S.
    Does anyone know if Mindcraft invoked teleportation cost has been changed in 1.2 in a similar way that teleportation from spells has?

Quote Originally Posted by kordi82 View Post
    Offtopic

quik - looking at your footnote. Try mindracfter, for me it's my favorite class by far. Very different from all the other classes, has no penalties that spellcasters have for weapon combat and past level 30 becomes a true monster . Greater Telekinetic Blast for the win! .

Farmer is also very fun class and much better that most people believe it is.
    I've tried it a couple of times but always died soon in the game. Same with the farmer. It's been a while since I last played ADOM, but when I come back I'll try those. Any suggestions on what races to pick?
    1 ULE, 1 UNE, 18 regular endings. Won with every race. Trying to win with every class. Never won with farmer, merchant, mindcrafter and thief.

I played some merchants for the resurrection anniversary challenge, and I discovered that I love that class. You can start with really great items, and you get double carrying capacity, which is a great ability, at least for my packrat playstyle.

Quote Originally Posted by quik View Post
    I've tried it a couple of times but always died soon in the game. Same with the farmer. It's been a while since I last played ADOM, but when I come back I'll try those. Any suggestions on what races to pick?
    Offtopic

As someone already mentioned on the forum... everything is easy with Drakling . For mindcrafter this is particularly true due to the fact that everything he cannot deal with mindcraft he can deal with acid breath. Food preservation is also nice, also drakelings have high toughness that allows you to survive in the early game. Mindcrafter does not need find weakness as much as other classes so no need to dictate your choice by this skill. As for birthsigns salamander is really nice due to increased PP. Tree IMO is overestimated for mindcrafters since you will be able to raise your Wi with morgia sooner or later.

As for Farmer - orc is a pretty obvious choice due to find weakness skill. Farmers level 6 skill is really nice and allows you to make most of speed talents. With long stride + all the other speed talents and no burden status your farmer will be constantly around 110-115 speed. Nice birthsigns for farmer are sword (stacks with Farmers polearms natural affinity) and especially Raven. If you pick raven, you don't have to invest in speed talents at all opening other options i.e. ranged weapons talents - farmers have archery which opens path for quick and lightning shot. Additionally early Rune Covered trident and farmers natural bonus to polearms will allow you to breeze through mid game.