Thread: [YASD] Cruel Companion Carnival

Default [YASD] Cruel Companion Carnival

Okay, this is by far one of the most ridiculous deaths I've suffered, so naturally I thought I'd share

Was running a Grey Elf bard, great skillset, great potential, nice female Fairy Dragon friend. All I needed for a running start was the healing skill so went for the carpenter quest.
    At D:4 I quickly encounter Jherrod so I feel safe for the moment with my 20HP.
    Just outside of Jherrod's room I fall into a snake pit, vipers spring out. No big deal, fairy dragon starts dwindling their numbers but both of us get poisoned in the process. I'm low on HP at that point.
    Jherrod is 4 squares away, so no problem!

Snakes are out of the way and I go towards Jherrod, my faithful Fairy Dragon right behind me... and every single turn Jerry walks directly away from me...FUUU! Things start to look bad as the poison is working very fast.
    Finally Jherrod stops, annoying little *** that he is. Probably laughing his backside off. I'm two squares away when my poisoned companion drops to low HP and decides to fight in a blind rage.
    I go full Coward, take a step further fearing that she'll claw me to shreds. No need to fear, as my lovely companion stays put and breathes ice instead. Thought that would end my misery, but no, the cruel little *** misses me, and kills Jherrod in one go.

FUUUU!

Without any help in sight poison kills me within two turns, and I take some comfort that the green winged b*ch must have suffered the same fate a few turns later.

I have a really hard time getting bards to level 10 even :|

Lol! That's what happens with good pets yeah

Bards are nice since they start with guaranteed wand of light. One with 12 charges for example is enough to deal with several groups of gremlins in their cave and quickly get to level 7-8.
    At least that used to be my strategy, followed by going to bugwil and taming bugs.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Bards can also calm/tame pit vipers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    Bards can also calm/tame pit vipers.
    So very true, could have tried that although at that level my music skill left much to be desired. I invested into alertness instead, and that wonderful decision probably allowed me to dodge the breath attack :P
    Still, there probably were some ways out of the situation that didn't end in death, and that's why I like ADOM. Sometimes it may feel like the RNG is evil, but most often it's my own mistakes coming back to haunt

LOL. Yes, I've been in that early game situation where

VS

Didn't turn out so well.

Yeah, there's always that one stubborn viper that keeps biting your ankle and that is so very deadly. I hate poison.

Wow, what a chain of events! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    Yeah, there's always that one stubborn viper that keeps biting your ankle and that is so very deadly. I hate poison.
    There's a limit on how many pets you can have at the same time. At one point they start looking at each other "in a strange manner".
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

You can't tame more than 3 on the same level with music. The others will just remain non-hostile or will kill each other.

I hate pit vipers too. Don't know why people always complain about stone blocks--vipers are much more deadly.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Moral: fairy dragons are the worst companions imaginable.
    Seriously:
    1) Oooh, you've fighting a goblin? Let me breathe water right through you! (now with fire, ice, lightning and acid).
    2) I'm going to murder this goblin! But first I'm gonna teleport him to the other side of the map and chase him while my master is fighting that balor!
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.