Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: what new race/classes would you like to see?

What I would really love to see is a space marine class. They would be a bit like fighters, but they would be allowed to use a few new items like titanium suits, laser guns and nuclear handgrenades.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Singbird View Post
    I'd prefer if people thought of ways to make the existing classes more unique instead of devising new classes. If people really are telling newbies "anything works", that's a good sign that something could be improved, in my opinion. Some classes, like beastfighter, stand out nicely because of some unique quirk they have. Would be great if the classes had more pronounced quirks.
    Seconding this.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    What I would really love to see is a space marine class. They would be a bit like fighters, but they would be allowed to use a few new items like titanium suits, laser guns and nuclear handgrenades.
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Would go together well with this idea: http://www.adom.de/adom/report.php3?ident=4679
    See Necklace of the Eye: interface enhancements for ADOM and other roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
    Would go together well with this idea: http://www.adom.de/adom/report.php3?ident=4679
    Only if you can mount rocket launchers or laser cannons on them. That would improve the game by allowing more tactical decisions.

"And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    That roguelike is already made, heck it also has graphics and sound.
    http://doom.chaosforge.org/

Quote Originally Posted by persy View Post
    I would like to see kobolds as a plyable race. Ratling are nice, but I was really waiting for kobolds. Still they can a be a race to be humiliated with - having all stat potentials capped at 10 at the begining.
    Also anyone thought about a race that eats not regular food but some kind of items? Like only gems, or only metallic items.
    Nice idea concerning Kobolds. I second that idea

and maybe Trolls can eat rocks?
    You kick the Troll and slay it. Congratulations! You advance to level 4! (more)

Admin powers at their finest.

I'd prefer if people thought of ways to make the existing classes more unique instead of devising new classes. If people really are telling newbies "anything works", that's a good sign that something could be improved, in my opinion. Some classes, like beastfighter, stand out nicely because of some unique quirk they have. Would be great if the classes had more pronounced quirks.
    I agree, although I think in ADOM there is a quite big difference for the playing style of most classes. I'd only say there are too much fighterlike classes (or they are not specified enough) and some strange classes like merchants could use some interesting tweaks. For the merchants I would vote for the ability to expensively bribe intelligent humanoids to make them companions for a time (there's a skill somewhat like it at lvl 40, but that works for every non-unique monster)

Quote Originally Posted by Moeba View Post
    I agree, although I think in ADOM there is a quite big difference for the playing style of most classes. I'd only say there are too much fighterlike classes (or they are not specified enough) and some strange classes like merchants could use some interesting tweaks. For the merchants I would vote for the ability to expensively bribe intelligent humanoids to make them companions for a time (there's a skill somewhat like it at lvl 40, but that works for every non-unique monster)
    Interesting, as I actually find most classes play exactly alike. There's a spellcaster, who can cast spells, bash in skulls and shoot arrows. There's an archer, who can shoot arrows very good, bash in skulls and cast some spells. Then there's the rest. : ) But maybe this has changed in later prereleases. At least the new classes seem quite different from the others.

The bribing idea would be great, at least on paper. The level 40 class power unfortunately comes way too late for most games. The only thing you'd want off your back for a normal win at that point is Fistanarius. Does it actually work on bosses? : )

only non-unique monsters

Interesting, as I actually find most classes play exactly alike. There's a spellcaster, who can cast spells, bash in skulls and shoot arrows. There's an archer, who can shoot arrows very good, bash in skulls and cast some spells. Then there's the rest. : )
    well, there's the mindcrafter, who doesn't technically cast spells, getting bonuses from other stats and not having to read books. The last thing also goes for elementalists, for whom the damage increases per level etc.
    So yes, basically they're all spellcasters, but beneath that there's a lot of differences which are still pretty big. Same for the shooters and bashers.