Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a weak Race/Class Combo

If you're aiming for a first win, I think it would be better to play a "safe" character more carefully (i.e. don't get overconfident, realize where you're currently failing and try to fix that), rather than picking a hard R/C combo on a Friday the 13th to boot. Once you have done that, you can begin to challenge yourself like this. But that's just my opinion, of course.

Whatever you choose, good luck!
    "And light there be!"

Depending on their skill-set, Bards can start off being very weak - especially considering how bad their starting equipment is. You can always hamstring yourself more with the starting questions, too!

I'll just go ahead and recommend a thief with little toughness as well. Play a dark elven thief for extra low toughness and a wasted Alertness source.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

kinda depends on how you want to spend your time. If you like checking doors for traps and hitting 's' a lot, choose a thief. If you like throwing coins and hovering up dungeon junk, merchant. If you like not being able to kill monsters or defend yourself properly, mindcrafter. Personally, I think that killing monsters and progressing through the game is more fun than trying to scum my character to the point where they can do some damage, so I usually scratch all the weaklings from my list.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I used to play a save file that featured a DE Merch who dropped all his equipment in the first wilderness square and had answered all the questions in such away that he had minimal ST (7) and TO (4).

Also wasted all his talents and had 'abused' and 'seriously ill' as background traits.

It was tough certainly, but as with all characters, once you make it to dwarftown or thereabouts you're usually ok (thanks to the massive TO boost from herbs)

Play a Mist Elf whatever. Getting overconfident is hard with < 100 HP. When I played a Mist Elf for the win, I was way more cautious than usual until I closed the gate.

Or roll a very strong character and attempt the Westside story challenge.

It's fun that you ask for a recommendable weak combo, kinda paradox
    I'd say try a gnome thief or something like that; little strength, hp and fighting skill and no real other way to fight. But if you want another way to fight as well, take a hurthling instead and start throwing rocks. Those work pretty good on hurthlings and are much safer than meleeing. The problem with the gnome would be that sometimes you just wouldn't have a chance (but sometimes, that also means you shouldn't have gone to where you are)

We need a need class: challengist.

Special class advantage: can't pray.
    Skills: woodcraft, haggling
    Booklearning ability: almost as good as mindcrafters.

At level 6 they are doomed.
    At level 12 they lose 6 random skills.
    At level 18, they gain -N to hit and damage with missile and melee attacks, where N equals their level.
    At level 25, all corruption they gain is doubled.
    At level 32 they gain a -8 bonus to toughness.
    At level 40 all positive intrinsics start failing at random.
    At level 50 they become blind.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Moeba View Post
    I'd say try a gnome thief or something like that;
    They are actually decent - a lot of starting equipment that could roll PV bonuses and they start with 2 PV atleast. Not the worst combination even with the low stats.