Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I get to L+ easily?

Default How do I get to L+ easily?

I'd like some advice here!

I've currently got a good High Elven Archer going - level 19, nice gear, and I've done the Dwarven Graveyard (but can't go back thanks to the emperor lich waiting for me there...), Water Temple, Pyramid, and the quests from Terinyo. I'm ready to hit the TotHK and ToEF, but I'd like a crowning before I do it - especially since I stand a pretty good chance of being crowned with Sun's Messenger.

My problem is, I can't seem to get my alignment to L+ for a crowning. I've already pumped something like 140k into an altar (including selling some artifacts for the gold), and I have a blessed Amulet of Order. But my alignment is still sitting on L!!! (I usually crown as a Neutral, but I've stuck with L for this character.)

What can I do to get my alignment up to L+ for a crowning?!? Thanks for your advice.

Giving food to beggars? (I've gone to the Bandit Village to feed beggars. Is it more effective to give them 1 piece of food at a time, or should I give them lots at once? And will crappy herbs work, or do I need to feed them stomafillia?)

Giving candy to dwarven children? (ha ha, they don't accept gnomist candy because it's 'bad for you' - and it is!)

Find a whip and hit myself with it?

What else will do the trick easily?
    Last edited by magpie; 11-28-2013 at 01:56 PM.

If you haven't completed all the lawful quests, you can do those. Making peace with monsters that are afraid helps. You do this by chatting to them, ones that can speak that is. Healing monsters that you did not harm. Also the ones you've mentioned, but I've not done the feeding beggars one before, so don't have an answer there. It does take some time to get from L to L+, I know, but persist and it will happen. Keep wearing that amulet.

P.S. Why is there an Emperor Lich in the GY, digging graves is not going to get you to L+ very fast?
    Last edited by Stingray1; 11-28-2013 at 02:45 PM.

If you have the amulet of order, the most important thing is avoiding any chaotic acts and knowing that saccing alone will never take you all the way to L+, regardless of the amount. So if you want to get crowned wait for your L+ alignment first before saccing all your gold.

I usually just keep the amulet of order equipped, it will do the job eventually.

Of all the other lawful acts you mentioned, in my opinion only self-flagellation is worth the effort. If you remove all your PV and have some herbs, it's just pressing 'u' and occasionally changing your tool slot from whip to spenseweed and back.

Patience and Good Luck with getting the bow!

see my sig

EDIT: my sig isn't very informative, is it?

Seriously, you have to set up an engine and automate it. Trap a monster (hawkslayer is best) where they will continually take damage (water cave), and repeatedly heal them.
    Alternatively, trap a beggar in a room and 'g'ive them burb roots, demon daisies, stomachemptias, or devil's roses (or some other infinite, lightweight food source).
    Last edited by gut; 11-28-2013 at 04:38 PM.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

If you do the beggar thing and you have a big pile of burb roots or something, what is the best way to feed them? One by one, ten at a time, all at once?
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    see my sig

EDIT: my sig isn't very informative, is it?

Seriously, you have to set up an engine and automate it. Trap a monster (hawkslayer is best) where they will continually take damage (water cave), and repeatedly heal them.
    Alternatively, trap a beggar in a room and 'g'ive them burb roots, demon daisies, stomachemptias, or devil's roses (or some other infinite, lightweight food source).
    It's good to know that I can feed them any old crap herbs, and it will still net me a boost to my alignment. I've been using stomafillia, but I'd rather save those for myself - cooked lizards or not.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    It's good to know that I can feed them any old crap herbs, and it will still net me a boost to my alignment. I've been using stomafillia, but I'd rather save those for myself - cooked lizards or not.
    Well, this worked. I fed a beggar a bunch of stomaceptia, demon daisies, etc ... until I got to L+, then went to get crowned. With Thunderstroke ... sigh. It's nice to know that even with a double chance to receive Sun's Messenger, I still got Thunderstroke. I guess it could have been worse ...

20d4 + 38 damage (20d4 + 43 on Berserk) is nice to have, I guess. It will certainly do a lot of damage when I poison it and shoot it at the ACW, and it's nice to know it won't be destroyed on the ground by the heat of the Tower.

PS: I just looked in good old Waldenbrook's shop, and found something I've never seen before. A rabbit knife ... OF MAYHEM! <cue the heavy metal riff> Maybe I have a strange sense of humour, but there is something very funny about that.
    Last edited by magpie; 11-28-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    Well, this worked. I fed a beggar a bunch of stomaceptia, demon daisies, etc ... until I got to L+, then went to get crowned. With Thunderstroke ... sigh. It's nice to know that even with a double chance to receive Sun's Messenger, I still got Thunderstroke. I guess it could have been worse ...
    It's not so meh if it's the returning variety. Used it on the Emperor Moloch to good effect (with Find Weakness, natch)

At lower levels (up to about level 30) wearing a blessed amulet of order and just continuing with the game is likely the easiest way to go.

At any level whipping is also really effective way if you have +regen item(s) or other means to heal you. If I recall correctly whipping gives (51-level)*(damage dealt)*0.2 stones (rounded down) per whipping and damage is determined only by the die (minus your PV) so taking off all items that grants +PV and wearing all items with -PV increases the efficiency significantly. For example whip of slaughtering (1d30+3) with 5PV would deal 1d30-5 damage (or 0 if it's below 0) and give you about 70 stones on average each time.

If you have a healing spell then healing a monster (enemy or friend) that you did not hurt will be extremely effective way. (51-level)*6 stones/healing, no matter how much you heal. So at level 19 it gives as much as 192 stones/healing and getting from N= to L+ would only take about 26 healings!