Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Threat/Tension Room Horror Stories

CoC:
    • Acid vortices either in the water temple or one level before that. Thankfully they couldn't explode in darkness at the time.
    • Threat room of balors somewhere in the deep levels. It took me half an hour of real-world time to wipe them and their summons.
    • Chaos vipers and master thieves, same place. They are very rare but otherwise not particularly dangerous at that point.

DH:
    • Molochs in DH2. Lots of Lightning Bolt did the trick. I had to go upstairs to recharge my power many times. A couple of hulking armors were dropped.
    • Lich kings. I think I managed to clear it by taking on them diagonally one at a time with Burning Hands, and bombarding the others with Magic Missile.
    • Karmic dragons, many years ago. I skipped it at the time, since I was out of Magic Missile castings, but returned later and it was easy with MM plus invisibility.
    • Chaos knights, which dropped a truckload of eternium items.

Others:
    • Doppelganger kings in TF:2. This was with an archer, and after taking the first punch from opening the door, I decided I didn't want to clear it and teleported the hell out.
    • Invisible stalkers somewhere in the ID. Considering they hit pretty hard in melee and I didn't have +SeeI at the time, it was pretty fun.
    • Two threat rooms of giant slugs, one in the TotHK (cavernous level), the other in NDC. The former didn't yield any corpses, the latter did, which completed my set of immunities for that game if I recall correctly.
    "And light there be!"

I think my worst (only been playing roughly 6-12 months in total) was an Ogre room with an Ogre Magus in the mix at about level 10. That took me about 45 minutes to clear.

Greater Molochs on the Mana Temple level. One of them dropped a moloch armor, another one picked it up and it was all over.

Titans in lower CoC are always fun, especially on a no-teleport level. Well, only if you can cast stun ray.

Exclamation

Maybe not the worst, but at least very memorable (layout is not exact but very close to what I actually had once):

Just entered the floor...

Code:
                 ##########.#
                 ...........#
                  ##..@<.####
                   #.....#
                   #######
    So let's see what's left.

Code:
    #######################.#
    #..mixed......@.........#
    #..tension.#####...<.####
    #..room....#   #.....#
    ############   #######

Crap, let's try another direction...

Code:
                         mixed
                         vault
                          #.#
                          #.#
    #######################@#
    #..mixed................#
    #..room....#   #.....#
    ############   #######

I don't like that either... let's dig a new hallway

Code:
       ###########
       #.@@@..@@@#
       #@@..@@@@@#
       #@@@.@@@.@#
       #@.@@@@.@@#
       #@.@@.@.@@#
       #@@.@@@@@.#
       #@@@@.@@.@#
       #######.###
             ##.##
              ##.##      mixed
               ##.##     vault
                ##.##     #.#
                 ##.##    #.#
    ################@######.#
    #..mixed................#
    #..room....#   #.....#
    ############   #######
    Ok... A huge room of doppleganger kings.

that is epic
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by zasvid View Post
    Greater Molochs on the Mana Temple level. One of them dropped a moloch armor, another one picked it up and it was all over.
    had the same, massive room of molochs which i accidently tunneled into. Having molochs chasing you on a non-tp level is not alot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    that is epic
    What he said... I think the message from the RNG was clear in that game
    "And light there be!"

Nowhere near as bad as any of you guys, but once found a large tension room of ghosts in the SMC while playing as an Orc Barbarian. They kept going through walls, so I couldn't run away. They only aged me a few years per hit, but there were about thirty of the bastards. Needless to say, that character did not last long.
    Last edited by The Cold Sailor; 12-19-2014 at 08:13 PM.
    A wizard's natural enemy: Chandeliers.

Greater Karmic Wyrm threaten at a greater vault level. Was kind of tricky, but gave mad loot - multiple RoDS + sun's Messenger. With a Merchant, clearing it was quite fun. Extensive use of Wands of Far Slaying was involved.

Nothing beats an open threat room of quickling queens in the Scintillating Cave near the stairs (about 4 tiles from the nearest queen). An endgame PC with 500+ hp with good DV was near slaughtered from merely TPing on the stairs
    Jesus F**K this kind of stuff. I had a threaten of those in a cavernous level right below Cat Lord, cleared it out -very- slowly by pulling them up and killing with whatever I had, but in the process I lost RoTMC [cave lion got mixed up in the goddamn party]. Rarely ADoM makes me so mad nowadays, but this time it was succesful [especially painful since the previous character who got RotMC was lost to a crash].
    Last edited by plllizzz9; 12-10-2014 at 11:39 PM.

In my last win, I had a threat room of Emperor Liches on one of the UL levels.

One of them summoned balors.

Another werewolf kings.

It was bad.