Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Ancardian Fighting Championship III Final rules and results thread.

Code:
    AFC-Duelist, the drakish duelist, was killed in the arena by a berserker
    king.
    She scored 4177 points and advanced to level 8.

Swords                   5    +3    +2   +1   skilled              33
    I rolled a random race duelist under Candle, got drakeling. Starting talents were Hardy and Quick, and also took 2 PV worth of further talents.
    The trip to the CoC went uneventfully, besides evading a few encounters. I did explore most of the levels above the arena, including a very quick clearing of a kobold vault for some decent gear, including an orcish helmet and mithril sabre, one winged arrow of slaying, a ring of damage, a scroll of uncursing which I used on the same (cursed) ring of damage, and a blessed scroll of identify.

I got to the arena around turn 19xx, barely in time. In between matches I killed off a few ratling merchants for a little more experience. I didn't think to keep a list of arena matches Fortunately I didn't get poisoned by the two spiders and one snake that turned up. My champion match was the hill giant, and I got about two more fights after that before I died to a berserker king. I tried to kite him around and use acid spit, getting the opponent to severely wounded, but I got Hungry! and Burdened and died first.

Edit to add additional characters:
    Mist elf was randomized to monk, took Tough, Hardy and Sixth Sense (to help with survival.) Found a pool on D:1, drink it and literally immediately, get wracked with feverish fits and die, just like that. You'd think a near-immortal race like mist elf would be resistant to sickness...
    Rerolling... Necromancer. Tough and Hardy, starts out with books of Fire and Frost Bolt and a mithril mace. Encountered lizard men in the swamps and bled to death.

Time to try ratlings, maybe they'll actually make it to the arena.
    Rolled druid. Died to not paying attention to HPs to a gnoll tension room on S:2.
    Reroll, wizard. Start with Light, Lightning Bolt and Web, and wand of ball lightning. If I make it there, will try to spam webs all over the arena or something. There's a pool on D:1, get +1 Ma and (probably) useless intrinsics. There's a beehive on this level, which I don't feel like provoking so I go downstairs asap. I get to the arena not having found a shield, or a better weapon than an orcish knife.
    Matches, nothing eventful so far. An orc scorcher gives me a wand of door creation, which I use to section off a part of the arena, vertically. Match 10 is a werewolf, and match 15 is a jackalwere. Both times, the line of doors prove very useful as a bottleneck. Match 18 is a hell hound, which burns up my cloak of defense. And... the champion match is the ogre mage I had his location pinned down too (temporarily), but despite having 2 rings of cold resistance still died.
    Code:
    Skrisss, the ratling wizard, was killed in the arena by Li-Han-Kay, the ogre
    magus.
    He scored 9268 points and advanced to level 7.

############################################      ########
       #........./....................................   ...........
       #.........############################.......... .............
       #.....<...#     #...........#        #........................
       #.........#     #.#.........#        #.........................
       #.........#     #.#.........#        #..........................
       ###/#######     #.#.........#        #..........................
         #.#           #.#.........#        #...........................
         #.#           #.#.#########        #...........................
         #.#           #.#.#                #...###############.###############
         #/#############.#.# #############  #...#.........|...###..||||.+.....#
         #...../.#.......#.# #...........#  #...#|....|||..||||.@....|||+.....#
         #...>.#.#.......#.###...........#  #...#...|..|||.|.|..||......+.....#
         #.....#........./...............#    ..#.....||||.....||||...../.....#
         #########.......#####...........#      ###############################
                 #.......#   #...........#
                 #########   #############

Skrisss       St:10  Le:12  Wi:11  Dx:16  To:17  Ch:10  Ap: 4  Ma:16  Pe:17 C
    DV/PV: 22/6    H: -10(45)     P: 1(69)       Exp: 7/4702        D: 3  M: 3090
    Satiated Coward

Light         :   340,   3pp     (Effectivity: +0)
       Lightning Bolt:    50,  16pp     (Effectivity: +8)
       Revelation    :    91,  32pp     (Effectivity: +0)
       Web           :   258,  10pp     (Effectivity: +6)
    Last edited by thecloud; 12-22-2013 at 12:24 AM. Reason: add add'l characters, and minor correction

Mist Elf which ended up being an Elementalist:

Basically went right there, although a wilderness encounter with some giant lizards and lizard men (which I couldn't avoid) in a swamp got me an early level.

Arena was on D:3.

Unremarkable opponents (kobolds, wolves, stuff like that) until a late Dark Sage (which nearly killed me with an energy bolt), a Dark Elf Warrior (which poisoned me before dying; thankfully I had a PoCP), and Ripclaw the Troll, which killed me with a thrown rock after eating two Fire Bolts.

Easy come, easy go. Too bad: I found some nice stuff, and started with some nice stuff (two Wands of Wonder, for example).

Next, after work: I think I'll try a random Ratling.

PS: How do I display elapsed turns on the display? I did it once by accident, and forgot how to do it.
    Last edited by magpie; 12-21-2013 at 05:33 AM.

High Elven (random) Duelist, nearly killed by bandits in the wild, but escaped.
    Went for the speed talents, converted to N on D1,
    No remarkable items found except ring of luck and various stat potential potions (ugh)
    Arena was easy : got Spardakuius, Slain with little trouble.
    First post-champion opponent was Stone Statue, and died by fire. Should have prayed a second time. Ring of luck did not help much.
    score 4041 (+100 nerd points), level 7

Second: Mist Elf Mindcrafter, died of psychic backlash in the wild. Oops.

Third: Mist Elf Bard! No armor, died on L2. Had penetrating arrows of thunder, but no bow.
    And chronically low healing.

Fourth: Ratling Monk. Nearly dies many times on way to tunnel, also from paralysis in cave.
    Gets to arena, and slaughters until he has to fight…
    Li Hon Kai! And dies of cold, brrrr. I would have gotten him, but he ran away invisible shooting cone of cold at me. GRRR

What a load of fail.
    Last edited by Mobius; 12-21-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: failure

magpie: to switch the dynamic display press :t.
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

>out of curiosity, has anyone gotten any nerd points?

I have 200.

P.S. There was no need to make the challenge easier.

Edit - Rat Duelist did hara-kiri in the 20th fight vs an Ogre. Actually reading the rules again this one doesn't count, Selected Rat Duelist. For some reason I thought we were doing Rat Duelist and Mist elf Duelist. I suppose now I've lost the nerd points too. Am I disqualified or may I roll a random race duelist?
    Last edited by Stingray1; 12-21-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Ratling Priest (random)
    Ogre takes him, but found out that book of darkness (starting one) helps a lot with Ogre since it prevents him from Ice-bolting.
    Running from ice mage by circles in darkness was pretty boring, ended by trying the good old true berserk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    This is a gameplay challenge, not an exercise in tedium.

Guess who just kicked some Ogre balls! ;-) My first char's still alive and well! Go, Flimmel, go!
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Whoa, this was fun!

My random Mist elf decided to become a healer and at least made it to the CoC undisturbed. First item he found was an anvil, couldn't think of a more useful item for this challenge. Shortly after he fell into a snake pit and died to poison, his last words being desperate prayers.

But my random ratling was all the more successful:
    He turned out to be a raven-born druid and evaded all the wilderness encounters. A neutral altar was useful for identifying stuff. That way he found a leather apron with astonishing [+0/+5] and a regular broadsword as a placeholder for the gladius.
    On D:3 he found a goblin vault which gave him some more loot, some weapon&shield marks and some spell proficiency in his starting spell (Divine Wrath).
    Clearing the vault had taken too many turns so he headed down to the arena without exploring the dungeons completely to make in time for the first fight.
    After a couple of arena fights and level-ups he tried to read the three spellbooks he had found. However with only 11 Le he managed to read only one of them: Know Alignment
    Shortly before the boss fight he made another level, pumped Literacy only and after that successfully read the other two: Slow Poison and Veil of the Gods (both very nice), but with limited castings. Divine Wrath was at 120 casting points when the book disappeared.
    Fortunately he did not have to face Li-Hon-Kay but Bonk instead and electrocuted him. From then on he used the valuable Lightning Bolts only for the toughest opponents (bold) and ensured that each bolt hit those guys twice whenever possible. The rest had to fall to gladius and bow&arrows.

The fights after Bonk went like this:
    1. master swordsman
    2. ratling archer
    3. doppelganger king
    Invisibility, but he saw through that. Fortunately he panicked and ran at the same time my PP were finished before coming close enough to confuse me. We recovered on opposite sides of the arena, then I went over and finished the job.
    4. large snake
    5. master swordsman
    6. large rust monster
    7. owlbear
    8. bugbear
    9. dark elven lord
    10. caveman
    11. troll
    This guy showed me how miserable my melee damage-dealing capabilities were. I had to abort the fight at troll being severely wounded because I didn't want to waste castings when it was possible to melee the opponent. So after running around in circles until we both were fully healed I tried again and finally got him.
    12. ettin
    13. revenant
    The toughest and longest fight due to him regenerating extremely fast and poisoning me even in Coward mode. I had to do it with double-hitting bolts but he shrugged many of them and my PP were finished quickly. So during another round of circle-running and poison-slowing I decided to "fight to death in a blind rage" myself for once. I set us up for bouncing bolts and kept shooting several from HP until he was dead while getting poisonous hits. In the end no prayer was needed, but soon after I had to pay for the HP-casting with a loss of Wi and To.
    Also, the cost for remaining lightning bolt castings has gone up from 11 PP to 17 PP during the fight.
    14. gelatinous cube
    15. skeleton
    16. ochre jelly
    17. lightning lizard
    Ok, I was really scared when I saw this one, due to the lightning bolt being my only offensive spell. I decided this was the time to use the potion of poison I had started the game with and poisoned the gladius. Using Berserk hit&run tactics I got electrocuted a couple of times but it was totally worth watching the lightning lizard cringe in pain and dropping dead eventually.
    18. greater mimic
    Revenge! Revenge for my last two adom characters that fell to master mimics or hiveminds out of nowhere. It falls to due double-bolts before being able to engage in melee.
    19. slow shadow
    20. ratling archer
    21. giant rust monster
    I don't even try to hit this PV-monster with anything physical -> 3 bolts later my druid reaches level 10
    22. hell hound
    He burns my (only) wooden shield.
    23. stone giant lord
    24. steel zombie
    Finally an opponent who can fully appreciate the power of Divine Wrath
    25.greater water elemental
    The last fight: The elemental shrugs a bolt, breathes water, I try to retreat and get washed away again, this time for real. What I could have done is use a prayer at 50/80 HP, but even then I don't think the fight could have been won. And in the end I'm quite proud of him not having to ask for divine help. Divine Wrath was helpful enough

Code:
    Random Rat, the ratling druid, was drowned by a greater water elemental.
    He scored 10970 points and advanced to level 10.
    He survived for 0 years, 6 days, 16 hours, 57 minutes and 48 seconds (8856
    turns).
    Random Rat visited 8 places.
    His strength score was modified by +1 during his career.
    His toughness score was modified by -1 during his career.
    His mana score was modified by +1 during his career.
    His perception score was modified by +1 during his career.
    He was the champion of the arena.
    He ended his adventuring life on level 5 of the caverns of chaos.
    165 monsters perished under his attacks.
    The following artifact was generated during his adventure:
      the golden gladius "Death's Sting"
    He possessed the following intrinsic:
      He was fire resistant.
    He had the following talents: Alert, Hardy, Long Stride, Potent Aura, Tough
    Skin.
    He had a final speed score of 118 (final base speed: 111).
    He was religious.
    He did not ask for divine help.
    He was neutrally aligned.

The following monsters were vanquished:
          2 ankhegs
          1 bugbear
          1 carrion crawler
          1 caveman
          1 chaos sister
          1 dark elven lord
          1 dark sage
          1 doppelganger king
          1 ettin
          1 eye of destruction
          1 floating eye
          1 gelatinous cube
          1 ghost bat
          1 giant bat
          1 giant lizard
          2 giant rats
          1 giant rust monster
          1 giant spider
          2 gnolls
         37 goblins
          1 goblin rockthrower
          1 greater mimic
          1 gremlin
          2 hell hounds
          1 hill giant
          1 hippogriff
         35 hobgoblins
          1 hobgoblin chief
         12 hobgoblin leaders
          1 homunculus
          6 jackals
          1 jackalwere
          5 kobolds
          2 large gnolls
          3 large kobolds
          1 large orc
          1 large rust monster
          1 large snake
          1 lightning lizard
          1 lizard man
          2 master swordsmen
          1 ochre jelly
          4 orcs
          1 orc scorcher
          1 owlbear
          4 pit vipers
          1 quasit
          2 ratling archers
          1 ratling thief
          1 ratling warrior
          1 revenant
          2 skeletons
          1 slow shadow
          1 steel zombie
          1 stone giant lord
          1 tarantula
          1 troll
          1 wererat
          1 zombie
    Thanks for the fun challenge! I'm definitely in for more of that stuff, also because for me regular adom was a bit too frustrating during the last games. (Which is usually not a problem at all, I just leave it for a couple of months and come back with new verve.)

Flimmel the Flame, by now level 10 ratling Elementalist, has just successfully won against her last arena opponent! Highlights of her challange were extremely tough fights against Lin Hon Kay and against a Berserker King :-)
    I will upload the videos of her run soon!
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Rolled a ratling assassin, dead to a gnoll vault.
    Pondered for a moment whether I should reroll the same class, decided to go randomly (I guess I should have rerolled an assassin - otherwise this is a loophole for bad classes).

Rerolled ratling elementalist, done without anything remotely dangerous spawning. 20th boss was Ripclaw.

Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                     Screenshot

##########################################################################
         #......./.........../....................................................#
         #..<..###.>.........################.....................................#
         #.....# #...........#              #.....................................#
         ####### #########/### #########    #.....................................#
                         #.#   #.......#    #.....................................#
     #####################.#####.......#    #.............*.(.....................#
     #......./................./.......#    #...................^.................#
     #.......#############.#####.......#    #.................%@..................#
     #...........#       #.#   #.......#    #...###############@###############...#
     #.......###.#########/### #.......#    #...#..........**.###.............#...#
     #.......# #.............# #.......     #...#...........*(...........%....#...#
     ######### #####.........# ######       #...#...|.......(..^..............#...#
                   #.........#              #...#.................*...........#...#
                   #.........#              #...###############################...#
                   #.........               #.....................................#
                   #########                #.....................................#
                                            #######################################

G             St:12  Le:11  Wi:10  Dx:15  To:20  Ch: 7  Ap: 5  Ma:17  Pe:16 N=
    DV/PV: 25/7    H: 82(82)      P: 71(71)      Exp: 9/13530       D: 4  M: 3545
    Satiated Coward
    Code:
    110 monsters perished under his attacks.

The following monsters were vanquished:
          2 ankhegs
          1 annis hag
          1 assassin
          2 berserker lords
          1 berserker prince
          1 blink dog
          1 bugbear
          1 bulette
          2 cave bears
          2 cave lions
          1 caveman
          1 chaos sister
          1 chaos spider
          1 corpse fiend
          1 dark sage
          3 fire beetles
          1 fire lizard
          1 gargantuan rat
          1 gelatinous cube
          2 giant bats
          3 giant lizards
          5 giant rats
          1 giant spider
          2 gibbering mouthers
          5 gnolls
          2 goblins
          1 goblin berserker
          3 goblin rockthrowers
          2 harpies
          1 hill giant
          1 hill giant chieftain
          2 hobgoblins
          1 hobgoblin chief
          1 homunculus
          1 hyena
          1 imp
          2 jackals
          1 jackalwere
          5 kobolds
          1 kobold chieftain
          1 kobold shaman
          1 large gnoll
          1 large spider
          1 lizard man
          1 ogre lord
          4 orcs
          1 owlbear
          1 raider
          2 rats
          1 ratling rebel
          9 ratling traders
          3 ratling warriors
          2 skeletons
          1 stone golem
          1 swordsman
          3 trolls
          7 water snakes
          1 wolf
          1 zombie

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                    Achievements

He survived for 0 years, 3 days, 19 hours, 24 minutes and 53 seconds (3545
    turns).
    G visited 5 places.
    His strength score was modified by +1 during his career.
    His appearance score was modified by +1 during his career.
    He was the champion of the arena.

Playing Time

You played for 0 hours, 27 minutes and 49 seconds.

Version Information

Ancient Domains Of Mystery
    Version 1.2.0 with ADOM Sage 0.9.18
    Linux ELF Prerelease 20
    Build: Nov 21 2013 23:22:42
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.