Thread: "Unknown command ' '" spam research thread

Default "Unknown command ' '" spam research thread

I've seen at least 4 players on the servers run into a situation where the text "Unknown command ' '" is infinitely redisplayed, and ADOM accepts no other input, requiring it to be killed. (This can also fill up the disk if tty recordings are on .. oops .. quotas are now working).

I don't yet have any information on how or why this happens, so before a useless bug report is submitted, can people who have encountered it post their experiences? The absolute best reply will include version and steps to reproduce . Also include whether Sage is used or not .. I don't think it's Sage as this started only recently. I suspect it's related to the 'repeat last command' command as implemented by ADOM.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

I had this happen to me on the server. Version was 1.2p20, Sage enabled. No tiles, obviously.
    It started after I fat fingered a few random keys, but I don't remember which ones.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

This has happened to me twice on the US server. I was using p20 with Sage and tty recording on. Both times it happened when I entered Terinyo for the first time; I suspect it's got something to do with me pressing space and/or another key (accidentally) to get through the introductory message. I ended up turning off tty recording and tried to reproduce it later but couldn't.

I had it happen on a newly created bard, also when entering Terinyo for the first time. Sage was on but tty recording was off.
    Last edited by Sami; 12-25-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Ah yes, for me it also happened when I first entered Terinyo. Tty recording was off.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Sounds like one just has to enter Terinyo, but I just tried a dozen times with and without Sage and couldn't get it to happen :/
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

It could also be because of Terinyo generating a long message that produces a (more) prompt.

One of the things that changed in recent releases is how the game handles these type of messages.

Edit - Maybe it is so difficult to re-produce, because it only happens when the messages are so long that they require 2 (more) prompts. Like when Munxip adds to the message block. IDK, just some thoughts.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 12-25-2013 at 09:31 PM.