Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chaos Knight Alignment Changing and Eternal Guardian

My damage in berserk mode with the character is 6d5+84, and he critically hits very frequently with Find Weakness at 100 (maybe the Ankh and two blessed Rings of Luck have an effect as well). The Eternal Guardian's PV is 60, which is high, but not high enough to protect from the guaranteed 84 damage, not even counting the high rate of criticals. I know he has an insane amount of health, though, so I will probably not fight him anyways. I will find another way to level up to 29 (or maybe I will go for the Axe of the Minotaur Emperor before reaching the Eternal Guardian). Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Superteeth View Post
    Does the piety you gain with a deity of a different alignment stay the same (minus the decay over time) if you switch alignments? Is it still possible to be crowned chaotic if you are in good standing with the neutral or lawful deity?
    As you make sacrifices to your chaotic god and gain piety with him, the piety with the other two deities will decrease (in addition to the usual decay over time); when you will be ready for crowning, your standing with the N and L gods will not be so good. Anyway, that's not a problem for the crowning, you need to have enough piety with the C god, what the other two think of you is irrelevant.

I am fairly certain that if my memory does not fail me I was level 16 when I switched from the extreme chaotic alignment of a chaos knight to NC in Dwarftown by sacrificing 1 gold at a time. Theoretically, this should work no matter what level you are on, correct? I imagine the only difference would be how much gold you would have to sacrifice one at a time.
    [...]
    If my plan goes, well, according to plan, I will have killed enough copies to bring myself to level 29. Is it extremely difficult to change alignment at that point?
    If you want to switch to C at that point, doing chaotic acts will work faster: slaughter dwarven children and farmers (lure them to the Ogre Cave and out of Terinyo if you don't want to piss off the towns); go on a grave-digging expedition and eat the undead corpses. Switching alignment by sacrificing at high level is more complicated: you should take into account the possibilities of equipment destruction and cursing of the inventory, and, if you make a lot of sacrifices, at some point you risk converting the altar (Disclaimer: this is from my experience converting from C to L at high level; probably going from N to C is much easier).
    In summary: it's better to do chaotic acts to get to C (and you will have to do them anyway to reach the C- alignment which you need for crowning, unless you have a wish to waste on amulets of chaos); before starting to sacrifice at an altar, take some precautions for your inventory and equipment.

Thanks for the input, TDau, but my concern is not going from neutral to chaotic. That is not hard at all. When I am ready to be crowned champion of chaos, I will do all sorts of chaotic acts including slaughtering all the friendly towns. The issue is switching back to neutral from chaotic after killing the Eternal Guardian and being on approximately level 29. There was a thread where a guy tried to convert to lawful using an altar in Dwarftown when he was on level 44, and it resulted in the lawful deity summoning solars, which promptly killed him. I do not want such a thing to happen to my character as well. I am planning on switching back to neutral for the last time after killing some Eternal Guardian copies for experience. After getting the unicorn quest and removing the corruption up to that point, along with giving the weird tome to the Mad Minstrel, I will switch to chaotic permanently.

Thanks for the input, TDau, but my concern is not going from neutral to chaotic. That is not hard at all. When I am ready to be crowned champion of chaos, I will do all sorts of chaotic acts including slaughtering all the friendly towns. The issue is switching back to neutral from chaotic after killing the Eternal Guardian and being on approximately level 29. There was a thread where a guy tried to convert to lawful using an altar in Dwarftown when he was on level 44, and it resulted in the lawful deity summoning solars, which promptly killed him. I do not want such a thing to happen to my character as well. I am planning on switching back to neutral for the last time after killing some Eternal Guardian copies for experience. After getting the unicorn quest and removing the corruption up to that point, along with giving the weird tome to the Mad Minstrel, I will switch to chaotic permanently.
    If you can farm stomafillia, your best bet is giving lots of blessed stomafillias to beggars. If you want to risk the altar route from C to N, you should definitely take into account the possibility of converting the altar from N to C in the process; once I switched from C- to N at level 50, and I ended up converting two N altars to C and an L altar to N before getting myself to NC.

Oh boy, more scumming. I guess that farming for stomafillia is the safest route to take, as I fear that I will end up making the deity of the altar I am trying to convert on very mad. Could I just give rations to beggars, or other types of food? The only herbs I have growing right now are morgia roots and moss of mareilon, and I had to burn 40 holy waters to do that. Thanks again.

Haha. That was me probably - the explanation is that I was bored from whipping myself. I also had plenty of time to step off the altar, I just forgot to do it. Converting to L at level 29 is hardly a problem, compared to 45+ levels.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

hmm, I must have mis-read your OP, you state that you used to be a habitual save-scummer but that you wanted to actually try a legitimate win, then you mention that you have been scumming the big room for the last two days, then you once again mention the legitimate win....

Correct me if i'm wrong but surely this win is not going to be a legitimate one if you have already admitted to scumming?

Oh boy, more scumming. I guess that farming for stomafillia is the safest route to take, as I fear that I will end up making the deity of the altar I am trying to convert on very mad. Could I just give rations to beggars, or other types of food? The only herbs I have growing right now are morgia roots and moss of mareilon, and I had to burn 40 holy waters to do that. Thanks again.
    Yes, any type of food will do, even crap things sold by the ratling dealers.
    I just made a test with a level 23 C- character: I took a beggar to Terinyo, bought all the rations and fed the beggar two rations at a time, then waited for restocking, and so on; it took me 230 rations (nine restockings) to get from C- to NC (in-game time: three days). At level 30, it should take about 100 additional rations to get the same result.

Quote Originally Posted by Darothane View Post
    hmm, I must have mis-read your OP, you state that you used to be a habitual save-scummer but that you wanted to actually try a legitimate win, then you mention that you have been scumming the big room for the last two days, then you once again mention the legitimate win....
    I think when he wrote 'scumming the big room' he meant grinding, not save-scumming.

ah, that would make more sense, it just seemed like a contradiction, wasn't entirely sure. I've never save-scummed, but then i've never actually progressed past the big room personally lol

Quote Originally Posted by Darothane View Post

Correct me if i'm wrong but surely this win is not going to be a legitimate one if you have already admitted to scumming?
    As TDau said, I really mean "grinding". I see that some people call it scumming, and consider it to be a transgression worthy of being called cheating. I do not consider it as such. The way I see it, if it is possible to do it in "real life" (minus the magical creatures and just about everything else, as it is a game after all), then it is legitimate. Things like dipping 19 rings into a potion of exchange can be considered cheating by some, but I just consider it a game-breaking move that is completely legitimate, as it would make sense that if you had a magical potion, dipped 19 rings into, and changed them, they would all magically change into one ring type (because the potions of exchange are different, and each of them create a different item).

In the same way, it makes perfect sense that you could go to a dungeon, kill things for days on end, and leave with lots of treasure.

However, things like piety overflow have been used to enter a character into the hall of fame. That is something that I would consider completely illegitimate cheating. It just would not make sense that you could piss off your deity so much that he/she forgets they hate you and suddenly starts loving you. It is clearly a coding issue that causes that.

Alright, TDau, thanks for the help. I am already at day 63, but I guess I will have to use food to change my alignment back. One final question: The only beggars in the bandit town are hostile. Does it matter if they are hostile when I give them food? I am pretty sure they will always be generated hostile to a chaos knight, but I am not 100% certain.
    Last edited by Superteeth; 01-02-2014 at 04:40 PM.