Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: a start reroller for the windows tile and ascii versions

Default a start reroller for the windows tile and ascii versions

over the weekend I wrote a start reroller for the ADOM windows tile version. I don't know what motivated me to do this, but a fugue state kinda took over... and here it is. its kinda like adom sage, but a.) works on windows and b.) a little worse in some ways (in that it can't read the program's memory while its running, so it has to guess-and-check the generated saves instead), but a little better in others (you can require starts that have specific equipment and skills, whereas the old one could only do stats). check it out if you want to roll something weird, or something overpowered, or just whatever.

the script requires Perl to run, but the README.txt gives exact instructions on exactly what to download to get it installed properly. it should hopefully be pretty easy to set up even if you don't know a lick about any code.

the script also uses the ascii version (included in the zip) to generate characters, because the tile version takes a little longer to open and save for some reason. however, saves between the tile and ascii versions appear to be compatible and in fact store in the exact same location, so you can generate a save with this and then play it in the tile version. it also includes the starsign selector to save time on generating saves.

might be some bugs here or there; lemme know if you have any trouble!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4p...ler_v0.0.4.zip

how many characters is it capable of rolling per second?
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

nathrakh Guest

Off topic but has anyone tried to roll PCs with scorched spear? I think I once started with one as an orcish paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    how many characters is it capable of rolling per second?
    Roller working without memory modification can't roll faster than 1 char per second because of random seeds (unless you modify system time externally).

Edit: although you may theoretically supply your custom time() and srand() functions (like Sage does for intercepting ADOM drawing functions) but the overall result may be kinda strange.
    Last edited by _Ln_; 01-08-2014 at 09:21 AM.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

it takes about 3 seconds to roll a character on my junky laptop. its a hell of a lot faster than rolling by hand, but nowhere near what adom sage could do.

Quote Originally Posted by nathrakh View Post
    Off topic but has anyone tried to roll PCs with scorched spear? I think I once started with one as an orcish paladin.
    I definitely started a character with scorched spear, a drakish paladin to be exact. It was in version 0.9.9 gamma 8, so I don't know if the proper conditions for that happening haven't been removed (though I guess that would only happen by accident).
    zasvid vs Nuurag Vaarn, the ChAoS ArChMaGe 47:0

the reason I ask is because my old autoroller for 1.1.1 averaged about 1 pc every 1.5 seconds, but when I stuck all files in a ramdrive, it took it to 1 pc per second.
    EDIT: also, if the target audience for this is windows users, consider making the distro into a single .exe.

Ln, are you sure characters are limited to 1 per second? I somehow find that hard to believe.
    Last edited by gut; 01-10-2014 at 02:39 AM.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

If you're seeding your RNG with the time of day and only to the second, more than one character per second yields identical characters.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Ln, are you sure characters are limited to 1 per second? I somehow find that hard to believe.
    What Alucard said.
    Believe me, took me a while to discover this with my char generator for statistics purposes. I was happy to cut the key delays to 0.3 seconds per char or so until I've started debugging and manually checked vlg files.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

I have downloaded the auto-roller by germanjoey, but after it attempts to roll a character based on the pre-set constraints that come with the file, it only rolls one and stops running. The character that is generated does not fall within the set constraints. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.