Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bookcasting wish in p20

Ok I just tested the ratio. My wizard had 1 mana left and cast Identify for 60 spell points. This ate away 33 hitpoints. So the ratio is not exactly 2:1, although it's closer than I remembered.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Maybe it was rolled back, because you already get reduced Wi and To, which was maybe thought of as harsh enough?

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    What is it, then? I asked around about this before making some edits to the wiki, and was told the exchange rate remained 1 HP = 2 PP, despite the otherwise severe nerf.
    Well checking is probably faster than asking, no?
    Start wizzard, read book, exhaust PP, observe ratio - done.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    I'm not so sure if it costs more to cast from HP than before. I had a successful archwizard in pre20 and until I wished for enough power to exclusively cast from PP, I had to cast partially from HP. The ratio is still exactly 2:1.
    Something else might have been the cause of your death. Silvernight works for lawfuls, if you were not lawful then costs were still 4500 with great book caster.
    You might also consider mana battery corruption as it reduces casting costs by further 20%.
    As a side note, how many castings of wish did you get when you learned the spell?
    i also recently did an archmage and i didn't notice anything significant. I was lucky enough to get some clothes of power though the most HP i hit was about 300 per cast.

I did however notice it drains your satiation significantly, so you need to have plenty of stomafilla on hand to counter balance this or you will starve to death most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    But does it stack with wizard's reductions too?
    it does stack but obviously hard to keep it permenantly with the way you do the mass wishes later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Well checking is probably faster than asking, no?
    Absolutely can't argue with that. I was feeling lazy at the time, though

I just roller a test PC in prerelease 20 who HP-cast some spells while at full health and zero power, then noted how many hit points he was missing afterwards. Results are as follows:

10 hp for a 15 pp spell (Acid Bolt)
    13 hp for a 20 pp spell (Fireball)
    22 hp for a 30 pp spell (Acid Ball)
    55 hp for a 100 pp spell (Mystic Shovel)
    70 hp for a 120 pp spell (Petrification)
    135 hp for a 250 pp spell (Create Item)
    1680 hp for a 3000 pp spell (Wish)

So, it seems to be no longer 2 PP = 1 HP, and fluctuates depending on the spell?
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    But does it stack with wizard's reductions too?
    Wizards reduction does not affect wish, thats fo' sho'

Yeah casting wish does indeed lower satiation value. Though after eating a blessed stomafillia you can typically cast 3-4 wishes, assuming you have only equipped TotRR+Mana Orb, the two artifacts necessary to have enough mana.
    At some point of course you take them off and only use the orb, so your food consumption is no longer increased by wearing artifacts/sources of invisibility or being strained. That in turn means you can cast wish dozens of times on one stomafillia.
    It's best to just observe the satiation status and always have AoLS equipped.

As for wizard's spell cost reductions, wish is indeed unaffected.

As for HP-PP cost ratio, once you cast wish sufficiently many times to reduce all stats to zero (except mana), it is virtually 2HP=1PP. Apparently stats affect that ratio in some way.
    As for mana, if you continuously cast wish and replenish PP with mana orb, your mana will never hit 0. It can drop to as low as 10-15 but from my observations, even if other stats are at 1 but are boosted through items, they get randomly reduced as well.
    I had a girdle of giant strength equipped to mitigate encumbrance problems and bracers of toughness to slightly increase total HP.
    It turned out that bookcasting wish included those two stats as well when randomly taking away 10 points. It is probably a bug. At the same time it virtually prevents mana from zeroing.
    That becomes somewhat of a problem because the upper limit on PP which is 11260, is going to fluctuate depending on mana score, sometimes dropping by ~1k PP when wishing drains mana attribute.
    Still, at this point it doesn't much matter.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Oh god, I can see myself grinding Powerpoints for the next week.
    So basically there is now no way to accurately calculate the exact amount of HP used for casting. Except for trial and error, and with AoLS even that doesn't work, since it returns you to 50% (?) HP.
    And I closed the gate to stop background corruption, so no mana orb.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangrealman View Post
    Oh god, I can see myself grinding Powerpoints for the next week.
    So basically there is now no way to accurately calculate the exact amount of HP used for casting. Except for trial and error, and with AoLS even that doesn't work, since it returns you to 50% (?) HP.
    And I closed the gate to stop background corruption, so no mana orb.
    i've heard instances of people doing it with prayers.. however you need alot of $$$ and obviously your mana will end up at 1 so wishing for power is critical. That approach you'll struggle to automate mass casting that you need for say, 3000 ultra healing potions for the 10k. But you'd be able to get 99 potions of gain attribute for example.