Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: List of must fixes

Quote Originally Posted by plllizzz9 View Post
    The pre/poscrowning issue with being stuck on 'very close' status is still present and still as frustrating as ever. Precrowning is quite commonly used and while I don't like it as a method of obtaining artifacts, it'd seem like one of the obvious things to be fixed.
    You know, this has been reported probably 20 times since 1.0.0, and it's never yet been actually fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkittredge View Post
    I think better organization of the backpack is a must fix. Towards the mid and end game sorting through it to find what you want to use or drop is a nightmare, hundreds and hundreds of items. It seems I spend as much time managing the massive inventory as I do actually playing the game.

Tabs you could open by clicking on them, such as (Helms)(Amulets)(Boots)(Girdles)(1handedweapons) you press a key or click and then it opens or closes those sections 1 by 1 at a time. Could drop every item in each group with one click/key.

Missiles - it's been said before - being able to just stack them together in bundles and perhaps average the +/- to hit and to damage for the whole bunch would be a godsend.

Wands could use better organization - all wands of the same type next to each other in the same section. Rather than say, wand of monster detection in the first screen, then scroll down 5 sections and there's another one. Why not have the 2 same type of wand appear together and listed alphabetically so it's easy to find what you're looking for? And a command to zap the same one you previously zapped instead of having to go through 10 pages of wands to find it again.
    Yeah, this.

New must-fixes (IMO) in the Steam version:

Terinyo Druid doesn't give unicorn quest. http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3550
    Cannot move several times by pressing arrow key. http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3236

This may or may not a bug-fix, but it is a suggestion to fix an extremely annoying inconvenience for Bards:

I noticed that Bards do not earn credit for quest kills if their pet takes the kill (Confirmed for Kranach, haven't tried it with other quest targets.) In Kranach's case, you lose out on all the rewards because the Sheriff tells you "weren't fast enough" and that somebody else claimed the bounty. I don't know if this is what the designer intended, but I think players who want to utilize pets should be able to use them to kill someone and complete the quest.

More bugs:

The Swap command (:s) does not always truly swap positions with your companion. Sometimes they just move aside. EDIT: It might actually be that the pet immediately uses its turn to move aside, and you just don't see the swap. Still, it's worth looking at.

Pets will move to attack enemies in combat with you, even if you have commanded them to wait. Very annoying if you're trying to pull mobs to sacrifice them. The Wait command should make them sit still and not do anything in any circumstance, in my opinion.

The companion AI overall needs an overhaul. It is currently impossible to command your pets to disengage combat (the move, wait, and follow me commands are completely ignored when the pets are in combat). Thus, you can only stand helplessly and watch as your carefully raised pets get obliterated by that Displacer Beast they decided to pick a fight with.

Along the same lines (pet AI), it's pretty difficult to manage a team of three pets when going down hallways. Almost every corner shakes loose the pet in the back, who then starts walking in the opposite direction. Pets should be able to stick to you in hallways a bit better.

(The life of a Beastmaster Bard is a hard one...)

In summary, I feel that working with companions would be more viable and more rewarding if the player had more control over their pets, specifically where they will go and especially when they will and will not engage in combat.
    Last edited by Qydra; 05-27-2015 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Comments on pet AI

Quote Originally Posted by mjkittredge View Post
    I think better organization of the backpack is a must fix. Towards the mid and end game sorting through it to find what you want to use or drop is a nightmare, hundreds and hundreds of items. It seems I spend as much time managing the massive inventory as I do actually playing the game.

Tabs you could open by clicking on them, such as (Helms)(Amulets)(Boots)(Girdles)(1handedweapons) you press a key or click and then it opens or closes those sections 1 by 1 at a time. Could drop every item in each group with one click/key.

Missiles - it's been said before - being able to just stack them together in bundles and perhaps average the +/- to hit and to damage for the whole bunch would be a godsend.

Wands could use better organization - all wands of the same type next to each other in the same section. Rather than say, wand of monster detection in the first screen, then scroll down 5 sections and there's another one. Why not have the 2 same type of wand appear together and listed alphabetically so it's easy to find what you're looking for? And a command to zap the same one you previously zapped instead of having to go through 10 pages of wands to find it again.
    This. I support this with all four of my hands and mutated tentacles.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

palandus Guest

Bit of a Necro, apologies.

Things I wouldn't mind getting fixed/ offer of suggestions are:

1] Allow other classes to learn fletching skill. (It's awesome that I got the Sun's Messenger as a Pre-Crowning Gift, but its less awesome that I keep finding Fletching Sets, but only Farmers and Archers can ever learn it. Thus, I'm almost always low on Arrows for an awesome weapon)

2] I concur with the Post-Crowning, being more clear / having the bug fixed. (I did manage to get one Post-Crowning Gift, but thus far, with about 30,000 Gold offered at LV 18 and numerous live sacrifices, I'm stuck again at Very Close)

3] Eating Rat Corpses, should be consistent. (If my Dwarf vomits from eating a regular rat corpse, then he shouldn't find Giant Rats, Huge Rats, or Blessed Rat Corpses Tasty and Delicious)

4] Vomiting should be consistent. (If I eat an Ant, I vomit violently and lose satiation. If I eat a rat corpse or the average kobold, it says I vomit, but no satiation loss occurs)

5] Allow a player to achieve immunity in an element by eating 10+ of a specific element of corpses... or at least make the resistance offered increased by every corpse you consume. (I've eaten numerous fire beetle, and red dragon corpses, and yet my Fire Resistance never really improves)

6] Eating Chaotic Creatures corrupts the player AND provides future corruption resistance. (Since eating a fire-type creature makes you fire resistant, it makes sense to me that eating a Chaotic creature would provide Chaotic Resistance)

7] The Priest's ability Turn Undead, is fairly pointless once you get Bless or Dispel Undead. Would be nice if it was replaced with something that could do direct damage against Undead (In fact I've never used Turn Undead, as I have more PP than HP and about 2000 charges for Bless at +13LV or 3000 charges for Dispel Undead at +7LV); or perhaps have it so that Priests regain some PP when they destroy an Undead?

8] Change Crowning Gifts from being randomly assigned, to the player choosing their gift. (It can be a real buzzkill when you spend the time investing in your Diety to get Artifacts that you didn't want; A paladin not getting Justifier is a huge letdown) Or change it so that the player chooses three gifts, and the diety randomly assigns the player one of those gifts, to at least narrow down a player's chances.

9] It might be nice if the Crowning Gift granted was based on the Combat Skills you've been levelling (When I got my crowning Gift, Hammer of the Gods, I had been levelling Shields and Polearms aggressively, and thus had LV9 in Polearms and LV8 in Shields, and thus getting Hammer of the Gods seemed a bit weird to me, as I had no skill in Hammer and Maces when it was given).

10] It might be nice for a new player to be advised at game start of the special timed-based quests at the beginning of the game, as an option for them to do. (I've been playing since 2003, and its only recently I found out about the Puppy Quest or the Wandering Outlaw Quests at the start of the game; I'd have loved to know that at the start of the game).

I like the idea of chaotic corpses providing chaos resistance.

Hi Palandus, welcome to the forums. It's always nice to hear more ideas, so I hope I'm not being overly negative here, but to be honest I do not agree with most of these suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by palandus View Post
    1] Allow other classes to learn fletching skill. (It's awesome that I got the Sun's Messenger as a Pre-Crowning Gift, but its less awesome that I keep finding Fletching Sets, but only Farmers and Archers can ever learn it. Thus, I'm almost always low on Arrows for an awesome weapon)
    Well, other classes can wish for the skill if you really want it? Or, you could wish for magical writing sets and write scrolls of education.
    It's quite a strong skill, so I think it is okay if not every class is able to get it. Anyone can find seeds as well, but that doesn't mean that every class/race needs guaranteed access to gardening.

3] Eating Rat Corpses, should be consistent. (If my Dwarf vomits from eating a regular rat corpse, then he shouldn't find Giant Rats, Huge Rats, or Blessed Rat Corpses Tasty and Delicious)
    I think this is already quite consistent. Giant and gargantuan rats could be different breeds. It could be that those just taste better?

4] Vomiting should be consistent. (If I eat an Ant, I vomit violently and lose satiation. If I eat a rat corpse or the average kobold, it says I vomit, but no satiation loss occurs)
    That can be explained as well. If you eat a kobold, you just vomit out the kobold. If you eat an ant, you vomit out a little more than just the ant.

5] Allow a player to achieve immunity in an element by eating 10+ of a specific element of corpses... or at least make the resistance offered increased by every corpse you consume. (I've eaten numerous fire beetle, and red dragon corpses, and yet my Fire Resistance never really improves)
    Sounds interesting, but it would make getting immunity to everything quite easy. Immunity would no longer be anything special if this was done, and resistances from items would lose their value.

6] Eating Chaotic Creatures corrupts the player AND provides future corruption resistance. (Since eating a fire-type creature makes you fire resistant, it makes sense to me that eating a Chaotic creature would provide Chaotic Resistance)
    This is not in the spirit of corruption. Being corrupted does not make you harder to corrupt in the future, corruption is a downward spiral. At least that's the stereotype.

From a game balance perspective, corruption is the only serious problem that characters tend to have in the endgame. It functions as a way to introduce a long-term problem / challenge. If the change you proposed here would be made, it would be easy to resist corruption and the long-term challenge would be gone. It would make the game less interesting.

8] Change Crowning Gifts from being randomly assigned, to the player choosing their gift. (It can be a real buzzkill when you spend the time investing in your Diety to get Artifacts that you didn't want; A paladin not getting Justifier is a huge letdown) Or change it so that the player chooses three gifts, and the diety randomly assigns the player one of those gifts, to at least narrow down a player's chances.
    Sorry to be so negative, but this is another idea I would not like. The problem is that there is an optimal crowning gift, and people would always choose the same gift. That would reduce the variety between games. It would make the game less replayable. Also, gods don't behave like that in stories. Gods (especially in ADOM) are easily angered and receiving a gift at all is an honour. Telling an ADOM god "I don't like your gift, give me justifier".. well they would probably destroy your inventory.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    From a game balance perspective, corruption is the only serious problem that characters tend to have in the endgame. It functions as a way to introduce a long-term problem / challenge. If the change you proposed here would be made, it would be easy to resist corruption and the long-term challenge would be gone. It would make the game less interesting.
    I'm curious then, how do other corruption-less rogue-likes (which is presumably all of the rest of them) stop the end-game from getting boring?

Quote Originally Posted by auricbond View Post
    I'm curious then, how do other corruption-less rogue-likes (which is presumably all of the rest of them) stop the end-game from getting boring?
    The only other roguelike I´ve played much is ToME, and that one has a pretty boring endgame to be honest.

Corruption is really one of the best ideas in ADOM. You become more and more mighty, but the greatest danger lurks within.. I love it. It also serves to add a sort of "ticking bomb" feeling to the game.

If you can easily become resistant to it, that would be dull and a huge waste, because it would ruin the feature. Repairing the damage from eating, say, a single orb guardian is really easy - read one or two SoCR, problem fixed. If something as trivial as that makes you resistant, you might as well remove corruption from the game, because it would become irrelevant.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.