Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: ADOMPossible: Team Earth Thread

Agreed.
    Thief is such a pain that it must be given to troll.
    So do we all roll a character this week and just start the quest?
    And just to clarify, what do we need to post when we die/fail/complete?

And of course, post the save at the beginning. Or should the team leader roll them all?

And then, ADVICES PLS

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    This would be my suggestion for lineup:
    High elf Wizard
    Dark elf Ranger
    Gnome Bard
    Troll Thief
    Ratling CK
    A perfect lineup if u ask me, very solid. Early game should be fairly easy with any of those guys.
    All roads lead to Chaos in the end..

If it's okay with everyone, i would like to claim the bard. Will go for the actual run a bit later (will make a video, i guess)
    All roads lead to Chaos in the end..

Anyone have preferences for what they'd like to play? I'm happy to play whatever is left over after you guys pick. You can roll your own PC once we've decided what we'll each play. You should post when you fail/complete/die. Or, by all means, post if you need help!
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I can take Ratling CK.

I have a high death ratio with elves to start..

Should we go for phial? Lawfuls obviously can go Rolf's, but not an option for CK.

I have never posted my PC on the forums, so not sure what is needed after a run.

I'm happy to take one of the elves. Anyone have a preference for wizard/ranger?

i'll take the wizard i never play rangers.

Guess I'm playing the thief then? Sounds good to me.

[edit]Remember to upload your save BEFORE YOU START so that if you die the character will not be lost.

Here's my strategy thoughts...

As far as artifacts go, there's 5 potential options that I see. Black torc, phial, si, golden gladius, (pre)crown. Of these, IMHO golden gladius is too hard/high risk for most of our PCs if we hit ogre magus. But if you're low on turns and have exhausted other paths, you can probably do the Arena in 500 or less turns, so as last resort, it's worth a try. Precrown in 6k turns is pretty hard. If you hit an altar in PC:5 or could sac a vault or two, it can be done, but otherwise it's probably unlikely. Black torc and si are similar difficulty in my mind. Obviously Thief and maybe Bard need Healing, so these guys can't get it. CK can't either. Of remainder, DE ranger might be able to kill Keethrax at level ~10 if they're raised Alertness some and hit a decent weapon or missiles. Wizard same deal, long as they have Magic Missile or Acid Bolt. Bard, Wizard are our only PCs that start with light sources though, which is relevant for Keethrax and phial. Phial can be done without light, but stumbling around Gremlin Cave in the dark is somewhat risky, I think. So most of our PCs will probably have to go for si.

If I had to guess, if you don't clear too much of the CoC and don't run into too much trouble, you can probably retrieve the si and get out in 3000 turns or less. It might be worth diving down to DT to activate Thrundarr quests, check store and altar if you have a bit of time. Healing takes maybe 300 turns if you kill Jharod (recommended for Thief for sure). Saving Yriggs might take 1000 [I think I underestimated these values a bit]. It's probably best to be relatively direct in getting your objective done (ie, when you find stairs, just descend), and back track afterwards if you have time. 6000 turns is not much, but you have some breathing room.

Bard probably has the easiest go of it. They're actually really sweet for this first challenge, if they can survive the first 1000 turns or so. With Heir 7lbs and 100 Music, you can outrun vortices and tame summons, so you should be able to cross Big Room easily. Starting with Healing is pretty unlikely, but spending some turns getting it is good investment for experience anyway. Puppy cave isn't bad for a visit to pick up some extra rocks from taming the ants and letting them dig out that level. There's no real reason risk Bard against Keethrax, IMHO, even if they start with Healing.

Wizard already starts with Healing/Herbalism, so they have lots of choice. I'd probably just spend a few thousand turns in VD/DD/PC as you like. Then kill Keethrax at level 10 if you have the right spells. If not, Gremlin Cave should be fine for wizzy, or try your luck at crossing Big Room. If you can survive early traps and things, shouldn't be too tough I don't think.

Starvation will be biggest problem for CK. Ratling CK only starts with 1 iron ration and enough gold for maybe 2 large rations if you're lucky, and must immediately travel to CoC. You can't use ratling dealers, and don't have food preservation. You will probably be more or less completely out of food at start of CoC. Crazy as it sounds, it may be worth thinking about taking one of the money talents at creation if you have a spare one so you can buy more food to make sure you have enough food for the trip. Feels terrible to have to do it though... Other than that, as long as corruptions are not too terrible, CK is strong enough to clear early CoC without trouble, I think, given that you start with good weapon and probably 15-20 PV. It might be worth thinking about trying to find the phial, though there's high risk of metal gear getting rusted and whatnot without light, but gremlins probably can't hurt you at least.

I am on the fence whether Ranger should try Keethrax or si. I think with decent Alertness, an okay weapon, and level 10 or so, Keethrax is possible. But si is probably doable as well as long as you don't get screwed in Big Room. Might be worth checking out Puppy Cave to try to find some early herbs too, as a few spenseweed wouldn't go amiss.

For the thief, Gremlin Cave might be worth a try. You can use locked doors to control the flows of Gremlins. I don't recall if you can disarm traps in the dark though. I'll probably test this to see if it works [it doesn't]. Otherwise, get Healing and hope for the best in CoC.

Note that of our PCs, only ranger and maybe bard are swimmers. Wizard can cross with frost bolt if they get it. Rivers could screw us badly and may require alternate choices.

To post your PC, do as follows:
    Reply to a post. Quick "Go advanced" in bottom right. On the icons on the upper row, you should see attachment. You can upload savegame from there which will attach to your post.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 01-25-2014 at 05:58 AM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Here is Grawl, the troll thief initial save.

Quick note: I just did Healer quest by killing Jharod on my thief. It took 1100 turns from character creation to getting Healing.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 01-25-2014 at 03:18 AM.

Finished mission 1 with the Thief. Was really easy, actually. This character is seriously lucky as hell. There's a video here if you want to watch. The audio didn't record. Not sure why not. Game notes:

-Starting stats are very good. We actually started with 12 Le for a troll, so we're literate. 25/25 for St and To and 17 Dx. Pretty much perfect roll. I took Alert as starting talent.
    -Activated Healer and Puppy Quests.
    -Killed Mugger as 1st kill.
    -HoleIntheWall shop includes: Waterproof blankets (2x, about 1500 gold each), Elven Chain Mail (6300)
    -Entered VD and dove to Jharod.
    -Grabbed carrot juice on VD:2.
    -Killed Jharod in 1 hit on true berserk (still level 1).
    -Cleared big orc/rat tension room on VD:2 on my way up. Advance to level 3 and take Miser. Gained some Dx/To.
    -Got Healing then headed to CoC.
    -Lawful altar on S:2.
    -Advanced to level 4.
    -Lesser vault of goblins on D:3. Ignored for now.
    -Arena on D:4. Grabbed 30 cooked lizards. The lizard trader (named) is in the top left area near the entrance. Did not look for the second one.
    -Beehive on D:5. Locked them away.
    -Big Room on D:6. Stairs very close together. Did not explore further for herbs. Don't really need them.
    -Nasty mixed tension room on D:7. Black wizard and werewolf, baby white dragon, dark orc, etc. Locked away on left hand side of level. There are also blink dogs around, but I didn't try to get a corpse at this point since I'd only just turned NC at this point and didn't want to get alignment screwed.
    -Grabbed si on D:8. Killed a cat. This was around turn 2300.
    -VERY nasty mixed vault on D:9. Both doors are now locked. The first monsters I ran into were a stone statue, rust monster and a shadow lord. Lost 2 pts of strength killing the latter. There may be some somewhat experienced claw bugs on the level as well.
    -Dwarftown is on D:10. Converted to neutral used altar to check our gear. Activated portal quest. Was only level 5 so I couldn't get the other one right away. Waldenbrook shop includes RODS!!!! for only 16000 gold also heavy crossbow of accuracy and some other nice stuff. Grabbed a 0 charge wand of digging for cheap. Always useful to have.
    -Ventured back to D:3, cleared the goblin vault and tension room to get to level 6. Took treasure hunter. Ran back to activate Thrundarr monster quest. We're looking for a grizzly bear. Probably easiest is to find one in wilderness...
    -Did 19 Arena fights to pick up 8000 or so gold pieces.
    -Tested my wands in wilderness. We have a teleport wand with 2 charges and a wand of item detection. It's like Christmas.
    -Wandered in wilderness for about 10 game days hoping to find a grizzly bear, but never turned up. Was wasting too much food and days, so I just went to Minstrel Glade and ended.

Caution: Our piety level is basically zero. I don't think that we will be cursed if we pray, but it definitely won't do anything.

Here's the vlg. A few unID item notes:
    -The aquamarine rings we are wearing are probably stun resist.
    -The cursed wooden ring is fire resist.
    -The colored gauntlets all give +1 PV, except the cursed white ones that I didn't equip.
    -The blanket could be fireproof. I did take some fire damage in the Arena and didn't lose any inventory items. Then again, could just be luck.

Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                     Screenshot

..@.........

Grawl         St:23  Le:10  Wi: 6  Dx:18  To:26  Ch: 9  Ap: 7  Ma: 9  Pe:11 NC
    DV/PV: 18/11   H: 89(89)      P: 19(19)      Exp: 7/18434       MML   M: 5758

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Character Information

Grawl    St:23  Le:10  Wi: 6  Dx:18  To:26  Ch: 9  Ap: 7  Ma: 9  Pe:11  NC
    DV/PV: 18/11   H: 89(89)   P: 19(19)   Exp: 7/18434   M: 5758

Background Information

Name: Grawl               Race: male Troll          Class: Thief
    Eye color: light blue     Hair color: brown         Complexion: tanned
    Height: 8'11"             Weight: 522 pounds
    Star sign: Book           Birthday: 1/Book (day 31 of the year)

YOUR HISTORY:
            Your parents are traveling adventurers. They are doing moderately
     well but are talented enough to survive.
            As a child your parents cared a lot for you. Despite all
     circumstances you enjoyed a happy and fine childhood.
            During your youth you embarked on many small journeys to nearby
     towns on behalf of your parents. You learned to know lots of people and
     made many friends.
            Your path was always clearly lying before you. You knew about your
     destiny since your earliest years and fortunately your grandfather
     supported your wishes. You managed to find a competent trainer and began
     your studies.
            You decided to become a Thief.

Weapon Skills

Melee weapon           Lvl   Hit   Dam   DV   Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---   ---   --   -------------  --------------
    Unarmed fighting         0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            15
    Daggers & knives         0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            15
    Clubs & hammers          0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            15
    Maces & flails           0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            15
    Swords                   5    +3    +2   +1   skilled              88
    Axes                     0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            15
    Whips                    0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            15
    Pole arms                0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            15
    Twohanded weapons        4    +4    +4   +1   skilled              90
    Staves                   0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            15

Missile weapon         Lvl   Hit   Dam   Ra   Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---   ---   --   -------------  --------------
    Slings                   0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7
    Bows                     0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7
    Crossbows                0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7
    Thrown axes & hammers    0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7
    Thrown daggers           0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7
    Thrown rocks & clubs     2    +4    +3   +0   basic                12
    Thrown spears            0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7
    Boomerangs & scurgari    0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7

Shields                Lvl   DV               Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---              -------------  --------------
    Shields                  3    +6              basic                65

Damage caused with your melee weapons:
    --------------------------------------
    Right hand: +22 bonus to hit, 1d6+14 damage

Damage caused with your missile weapons:
    ----------------------------------------
    Ammunition: 12, base range: 2, +17 bonus to hit, 1d4+9 damage

Skills

Alertness ................ 50    (fair)         [+3d3]
      Appraising ............... 27    (mediocre)     [+3d5]
      Athletics ................ 62    (good)         [+2d4]
      Backstabbing ............. 27    (mediocre)     [+4d5]
      Bridge building .......... 12    (mediocre)     [+3d5] (mr)
      Climbing ................. 50    (fair)         [+4d4]
      Detect traps ............. 67    (good)         [+3d5]
      Disarm traps ............. 46    (fair)         [+4d5]
      First aid ................ 40    (fair)         [+2d4]
      Food preservation ........ 66    (good)         [+2d4]
      Gemology ................. 10    (poor)         [+4d5]
      Haggling ................. 17    (mediocre)     [+4d5]
      Healing .................. 63    (good)         [+1d3]
      Listening ................ 50    (fair)         [+4d4]
      Literacy ................. 12    (mediocre)     [+3d4]
      Mining ................... 15    (mediocre)     [+4d4]
      Pick locks ............... 49    (fair)         [+4d5]
      Pick pockets ............. 51    (good)         [+4d4]
      Stealth .................. 88    (great)        [+3d3]

Inventory
    Total weight: 1199 stones                Carrying capacity: 2925 stones

Head          : uncursed metal cap [+0, +1]                           [50s]
    Neck          : uncursed bone amulet                                   [3s]
    Body          : -
    Girdle        : -
    Cloak         : -
    Right Hand    : uncursed mithril rapier (+0, 1d6+4) [+1, +1]          [24s]
    Left Hand     : uncursed wooden shield [+3, +4]                       [80s]
    Right Ring    : uncursed aquamarine ring {fair}                        [1s]
    Left Ring     : uncursed aquamarine ring {fair}                        [1s]
    Bracers       : -
    Gauntlets     : uncursed fencing gloves [+2, +1]                       [6s]
    Boots         : -
    Missile Weapon: -
    Missiles      : heap of 12 uncursed rocks (+0, 1d4)                   [60s]
    Tool          : -

Stuff

Total weight: 974 stones   Carrying capacity: 2925 stones

Armor ('[')
       leather armor                                                     [150s]
    Shields ('[')
       uncursed medium shield [+3, +1]                                   [100s]
       wooden shield {mediocre}                                           [80s]
    Gauntlets ('[')
       uncursed black gauntlets {fair}                                    [10s]
       uncursed thick gauntlets (-1, -2) [+0, +1]                         [15s]
       cursed white gauntlets {mediocre}                                  [10s]
       uncursed red gauntlets                                             [10s]
    One-handed weapons ('(')
       uncursed orcish spear (+1, 1d8+2)                                  [75s]
       crude spear                                                        [75s]
    Missiles ('*')
       heap of 5 uncursed rocks {good}                                    [25s]
       heap of 6 rocks                                                    [30s]
       heap of 7 uncursed rocks                                           [35s]
       heap of 13 uncursed rocks {good}                                   [65s]
    Tools (']')
       uncursed thieves picks                                              [5s]
       uncursed triangular key {fair}                                      [1s]
       uncursed small key {fair}                                           [1s]
       heap of 3 uncursed strange items {great}                           [30s]
       blessed holy symbol                                                 [5s]
       blanket                                                            [10s]
    Rings ('=')
       cursed wooden ring                                                  [1s]
    Wands ('\')
       uncursed wand of light (7 charges)                                  [4s]
       uncursed wand of item detection (3 charges)                         [3s]
       blessed wand of digging (0 charges)                                 [3s]
       wand of teleportation (2 charges)                                   [4s]
    Potions ('!')
       heap of 2 uncursed orange potions {fair}                            [8s]
       cursed blazing potion                                               [4s]
       heap of 2 uncursed potions of water                                 [8s]
       potion of holy water                                                [4s]
       uncursed misty potion                                               [2s]
       uncursed mottled potion                                             [4s]
       uncursed thick potion {fair}                                        [4s]
       oily potion                                                         [2s]
    Scrolls ('?')
       heap of 3 uncursed scrolls labeled "FPMAM"                          [6s]
       heap of 2 uncursed scrolls of identify                              [4s]
       uncursed scroll labeled "HcUo"                                      [2s]
       uncursed scroll labeled "WoPaK"                                     [2s]
       scroll labeled "FPMAM"                                              [2s]
    Food ('%')
       heap of 27 uncursed cooked lizards                                 [81s]
    Valuables ('$')
       9452 gold pieces                                                   [94s]

Killed Monsters

305 monsters perished under his attacks.

The following monsters were vanquished:
          1 ankheg
          2 bandits
          1 big dog
          2 blink dogs
          1 carrion crawler
          1 cave bear
          1 cave tiger
          3 claw bugs
          1 dark sage
          2 dire wolves
          1 displacer beast
          2 dwarves
          1 eye of destruction
          2 fire beetles
          1 fire lizard
          2 floating eyes
          1 ghost bat
          2 ghuls
          1 giant bat
          2 giant bee workers
          2 giant frogs
         23 giant rats
          2 gnolls
         24 goblins
          4 goblin rockthrowers
          1 goblin slavemaster
          1 griffon
          1 harpy
          1 healer
          4 hippogriffs
          8 hobgoblins
          1 hobgoblin chief
          3 hobgoblin leaders
          1 imp
          1 jackal
          1 karmic lizard
          4 kobolds
          1 kobold chieftain
          3 kobold shamans
          5 large bats
         10 large dogs
          1 large gnoll
          1 large kobold
          1 large orc
          1 large snake
          1 large spider
          2 lizard men
          2 mimics
          1 minotaur
          1 mugger
         41 orcs
          1 orc chieftain
          4 orc scorchers
          3 outlaws
          1 outlaw leader
          2 pixies
          1 pixie archer
          1 quasit
          1 rabid dog
         90 rats
          2 ratling fencers
          3 ratling thieves
          1 ratling warrior
          1 rust monster
          1 shadow lord
          1 stone statue
          1 swordsman
          1 wererat
          1 wild cat
          2 wolves
          4 zombies

Achievements

He survived for 0 years, 25 days, 4 hours, 42 minutes and 9 seconds (5758
    turns).
    Grawl visited 19 places.
    His strength score was modified by -2 during his career.
    His learning score was modified by -2 during his career.
    His willpower score was modified by -2 during his career.
    His dexterity score was modified by +1 during his career.
    His toughness score was modified by +1 during his career.
    His appearance score was modified by -1 during his career.
    His perception score was modified by +1 during his career.

Playing Time

You played for 0 hours, 32 minutes and 34 seconds.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 01-25-2014 at 04:23 AM.