Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758 LastLast

Thread: Mission ADOMPossible: Threading Water

Munn'sheez final mission notes:

I start following Cactus's advice. I set to Coward and step away from the ogre. 6 moves after I start, we get a new corruption: Thin&Nimble. Nice. Now we're at 8 corruptions, but only just.

I check the stash on UL:4 - no potions, but it does have our Sis and 3 pick axes.

We've got no wand of trap detection that I can see, but we've also got unID'd wands and some water, so I decide to try earth temple first and go for the altar there, both to get piety up to allow for other sources of healing, and to uncurse stuff to allow for safer water orb use.

On D:44 I encounter an Ancient Black Dragon in what I guess was an old mixed tension room. I'd like to avoid all it's item destruction if possible. I carefully step and move to kill it without it getting to attack/breathe.

I receive a scar. Still not sure how to check for it.

I pass the Earth Temple to D:41 to see if that was the red dragon vault (maybe there are potions there?) But that's not it. I don't want to get to the Air Temple accidentally, so I decide to just start work on Earth Temple. I stash cash and Sis on D:44 for the moment so I'm faster for the elementals. I get critically wounded(down to 250) hp from a thrown rock when I retreat while not on coward. Stupid.

I open a path to the ASB while avoiding the trap corridor. And then of course stupidly step into it while backing away from grues.

I managed to lead some off them off the level (I thought they didn't do that anymore?)

This invis + 4 artifacts is really hurting my food consumption. But I can't fix that with these cursed gauntlets on.

So far I can't seem to hurt the ASB. On Berserk I occasionally wound it, but it keeps regenerating. Maybe acid spit? I take off the cloak of Oman to slow down consumption.

Acid spit doesn't seem to do enough to be worth it - at least with our food situation.

The ASB kills one of our maggots and levels up - great.

I leave him alone for now and decide to go and convert the altar. Maybe I'll be able to ID something that will help me. I leave him on D:42, and manage to get to the stairs to D:44 to pull things down. Ok... *that* one they won't go down.

I'm starting to run out of food. Ok, the AMW isn't doing much for me, so let me take that off. That lets me put Oman back on.

Ok... moment of truth - time to convert the altar. I don't *see* any enemies around. Oh... my gold is on the floor below - I go pick it up. On the way back I see some more earth elementals. Should clear them out so they don't surprise me later.

I use 40k (to be safe) twice to convert the altar (C->N->L). I then sac 220k and get "favors you greatly". I drop water, and pick it up. Just after I step off the altar, earth elementals appear. *Phew*

One of the elementals gets me down to 84 HP. I'd rather not pray just yet.

Looking at our stuff - we have:
    5 Potions of Holy Water
    Uselessness
    No amulet of Death Ray Resist
    5 quarrels and 2 arrows of construct slaying (for ASB)
    6 quarrels of humanoid slaying (for Chaos ARchmage)
    Two rings of slaying (nice!) Also good for ASB - that would probably give me the damage I need.
    A wand of trap detection(7) Good for MT
    4 Scrolls of charging (since we have no booze very nice)
    *NO* scrolls of uncursing.

I try to dip the thick gauntlets in the holy water, but despite WEARING them at the time, that poisons the water. So I'm stuck with the ring of invisibility and high kings.

I dip 6 lizards, and my sling. I have 2 potions of holy water left - desperately hoping for a scroll of uncursing.

My arrows of demon slaying (Thanks Cactus!) are easily able to kill the ASB.

On UL:4 I run into a doppleganger king blocking my path. I'm stepping away, hitting, stepping away, but I make him rage and he knocks me down to 36 HP. I use a prayer to clear confusion and go back to 457 HP.

UL:5 has a shop of some sort - of course I have no cash. I could have picked it up on UL:4 near the dragon. We'll see what it is as I pass it.

It also has a Lawful Altar. An ice vortex is sitting on the stairs down. I haven't found the shop yet, but I only have 4k turns left, so I'm not going to go look for it. Our superior speed makes the vortex easy to kill.

UL:6 produces herbs - stoma might be worth time, nothing else is. It also has ants. I know I failed to get acid resistance with this guy on Mission 3, so if I see a corpse I'm eating it.

I lose a perception due to being so damn ugly. How did I see my reflection? I'm invisible and I cannot see invisible AFAIK.

I eat an ant corpse just to be safe.

I do find some stoma, and eat one - going to bloated. Not a problem, I'm going to clear *that* quickly.

Ok, mana temple time. I throw on my AMW.

Right after eating that stoma, having had nothing but food problems - I encounter a threat room of giants. Sigh. After that is a room of fire grues. I worry for my thick gauntlets.

A maggot spawns right before the trap corridor. I lock it out so it won't trigger traps - although I worry about others spawning. I also take off my helm of mental stability, for now.

This low perception isn't helping my trap detection. (Later I realize I should have worn my Necklace of the Eye)

I'm unable to light a torch, despite the chaos orb of elemental fire being known for creating random bonfires.

I trip an acid trap at the end, but luckily it doesn't destroy anything important.

I have to go quite a ways into the MT before I get a force attacking my mind.

A white unicorn I found in the trap corridor is also helping me to clear this. I name him Artax, despite not being able to pronounce it (Drakeling tongues are not made for X's)

Darkness envelops nearby area of the MT - the archmage approaches. 8 blessed quarrels of demon slaying all miss - I switch to bows. A hit fails to harm him. I thought he was a demon? I go back to crossbows - a humanoid slaying quarrel does crit him. Those only get him to half. Crap, I'm going to have to melee him I think. Just in case, I try a wand of poison, but even with some bounces he shrugs them all.

A death ray does 200 damage. First aid recovers most of it.

Melee time - he drains Appearance and Learning. He crits me and is blinded by the blood. He actually hits me twice but does only about 50 damage total. He continues to hit me every time while blinded, but he dies. We level up, I take "quick".

On the way back I sprout a purple worm and start getting "evades the trap" messages for it. I quickly leave it, and later hear toppling stones.

Ok about 3k turns left - I should be ok on food, I have to book it now to clear D:50.

I do sac the chaos archmage corpse to make up for my earlier prayer.

I get another corruption - I Thrive on the Flesh of Order. Uhoh. That sounds bad.

D:48 has a tension room of some sort. I end up opening it - Diamond golem and ancient karmic dragon. I decide to hope stealth will let me back out.

I see my first air grue with the NotEye version (since I didn't do Air temple) I love the wings.

I kill the chaos wizard then use my level 32 class power to get to the anomalies.

Finally, it's time to give up my fire orb . Down to D:49.

Oooh... Sun's Messenger! Nice Gift!

My speed is 36 when I arrive at the stairs down. Could be worse. Ticks to 86 as soon as I descend. Not so bad.

Corruption #12 - Mists of Chaos.

I clear out the two rooms of Chaos Mutants and create some doors to reduce jelly spawning and then decide to make my way to one of the levers. I'd like to kill the Balors before tackling the ghosts (which I can kill with Sun's Messenger if Balors aren't blocking the way)

Clearing the top corridor I become a mana battery. So much for my wands.

Sun's Messenger destroys the ghost lords in the top room. Demonslaying ammo kills the balor, although it takes more shots than I'd like. I decide to take Missile Talents - I may need all these shots.

A chaos warrior drops another pair of thick gauntlets - so I've got some protection if mine are destroyed. I'm a little careless against one of them and drop to 337.

I handle the top lever.

I don't want to spend the turns to back up after every hit on most of these, so I'm alternating between Berserking when I'm confident my speed won't let me get hit back, and defensive when it might. I do make a mistake when a missile reload takes longer than I thought and a chaos mutant hits me kind of hard. My blood freezes. -10 speed. No upside that I know of since I'm already a drakeling. 14 corruptions.

I pull the bottom lever. Trouble incoming.

I kill that balor and take Crossbow talent. Next I take Slings, so I can get Missile Weapon Master.

I start clearing out jellies, using the teleport to swap to the other lever room when I Get the chance - I Want to keep pulling balors one at a time.

My mouth becomes prehensile - 15 corruptions. But... very good for my archery.

The ghost lords are awake. I'm ok, but I hope they don't panic and flee. Sun's Messenger is fantasically helpful here.

This careful play is whittling my turns down though. I have to go for the center in a sec.

The next balor summons ghosts and black unicorns. This will NOT help my turn count. I take missile weapon master. 761 turns to go if I don't use the 50 turn grace period.

I kill a ghost to force a break in the wall to the center room. But it doesn't work? I dig into the middle room manually. I kind of have to just berserk now to save turns.

I've got plenty of prayers if it comes to it. I also bless ID and find ultra and extra healing and a wand of destruction. I get one shot with the wand, but it can help me clear some of this stuff out and possibly save me turns. Hmm... it does less than I hoped.

There's Fisty. He refuses to swap places with me. I have to use my scroll of teleport (I already burned my wand - stupid mana battery) Ok, he's down. 433 moves to go. I hit level 49 and finish the "Greased Lightning" tree. I hit level 50 - +6 strength and toughness, should make fighting a bit faster.

I have a moment of sheer panic. I look at the gate and it appears to be open. I pull the lever. Nothing happens. Did I destroy the other lever in the wrong position?

I take a teleport when I shouldn't and move too far down the level, spending precious turns coming back. I handle the lever again. Phew, it says it's closed now.

Back to just fearing turns. 164. Crap another chaos wizard summons stuff. And again. A black unicorn attacks but I have to just let it - can't spend turns on it.

I'm still fighting. Things are looking good, but let me step into the main room. Crap, still more stuff. I charge and kill a wizard. I take out a ghost lord. 60966.

I save and quit. I'm not sure if I have the 50 turns or not. That would be "intentional overplay", right?

Ok.... 50 more turns. Ends at 61016. Turn 61016 (the end) will be to read the scroll of monster detection to check to see whether I succeeded in the 50 turns.

The ghost lord is out of arrow shot (greater chaos servant in the way), and he moves out of sight. A chaos warrior approaches from the north crap - I hope he makes it to me. 14 turns down, 36 turns to go.

Stepping SE reveals 2 more monsters. It seems like Chaos Warriors don't see invisible, which is making this all harder. I don't think it's going to happen. 13 turns to go, at least 6 warriors alive. Takes me about 3 turns to kill one. Did I say 3? This one took 8. Crap another chaos wizard. Not that it makes much difference.

And a whole bunch more guys. And some summons. 3 turns left, not possible. On turn 61016 (my final turn), it turns out that a 7 perception is REALLY BAD for clearing this out.

I should have thrown on my necklace of the eye a long time ago. I save the game, then restore and read my scroll of monster detection.

Out of curiosity I try to see how many turns it does take to clear everything. On turn 61197 I believe I've killed everything(kill last ghost lord). A wand of monster detection shows 1 monster (my maggot worm). So I needed 181 more turns. Sorry...

Note:
    Winning the game at that point was really easy despite playing super carelessly for a lot of it. Doubled my previous high score(made in 1pre5), mainly due to the low turn count (~63-64k)

Szopin - Any update on when you'll play Groucho?

Thanks, I enjoyed reading the story.
    I also started to play Lanthir until cavernous level UC:4 where I found a chaotic altar. Plan to create a circle of doors around it (enough charges) and convert it to lawful so I can get an early crowning. Currently fighting with the 2handed adamantium sword of penetration and thus awesome damage but no DV. Have to be really careful with the low hitpoints.

Ooh - good luck with the altar.

Quote Originally Posted by Harwin View Post
    Szopin - Any update on when you'll play Groucho?
    Harwin if you want to give him a go pls do. I will only have a couple of hours today in the night and maybe 1-2 tomorrow, probably not enough

Quote Originally Posted by szopin View Post
    Harwin if you want to give him a go pls do. I will only have a couple of hours today in the night and maybe 1-2 tomorrow, probably not enough
    I don't really. I might pick up and keep playing with Mistanarius after the competition but I'm not really feeling playing another long-play character under the deadline.

Haha, I also thought about playing Mistanarius! I think with unlimited turns and no prohibited locations it should be well possible to dive into the gate with him. Just thought that maybe someone would want to score with him.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Erm... so I slightly underestimated the time necessary to play Lanthir and I also sincerely underestimated how awesome the weather in Germany would turn out to be this weekend. So I spent zero time in front of the computer...
    If it's ok with you guys I'd finish playing the character, but not within the deadline tomorrow. I feel bad about it because we had almost two weeks time for the last mission...

Btw, got Death's Blade as a crowning gift. I had forgotten that's in the pool for assassins as well, since the other five possibilities are so awesome. But apart from that he's doing really well...

I'm fine with you finishing Lanthir and Szopin finishing Groucho after the time limit. It's not going to affect our place in the tournament and I'd rather you have the time to play them. But you have to post about your adventure .

I'm going to play Mistanarius on my own eventually since his current 2 saves are both off my playthrough anyway I'm going to get him into my highscore list whether I succeed or fail. Feel free to play him Gordon but please don't spoil anything for me. (Post his story in spoiler tags or whatever if you want)

Quote Originally Posted by Harwin View Post
    I'm fine with you finishing Lanthir and Szopin finishing Groucho after the time limit. It's not going to affect our place in the tournament and I'd rather you have the time to play them. But you have to post about your adventure .
    Will do Without rushing/turn limit will probably grind-fest it to be on the safe side, then again, even the grind for slaying ammo turned to be rather boring rather quickly. We'll see