Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ten character challenge

Default Ten character challenge

No, not the challenge of making forum posts at least ten characters long.

I recently noticed that I mostly just play the same kind of characters, so decided to try the game with ten new ones. All are different race and different class. I originally thought about doing all 20 classes, but came to the conclusion that it would just be too much. Even ten might turn out to be too many after a while.

The characters I'm playing are orc barbarian, human wizard, drakeling mindcrafter, hurthling archer, troll healer, gnome paladin, grey elf bard, dark elf necromancer, high elf ranger and dwarf farmer. Of these, ranger is the only class that I've won with.

My plan is to play the ten characters concurrently at roughly the same pace. If one of them dies, then I have to start over with it and catch the others.

It's still early in the games, with only a few characters at dwarftown, but I've noticed that I really need to start making notes or I will get the games mixed up all the time. Apart from that, it's quite fun. There's a good chance that I'll get fed up with this at some point, but I'll worry about that when it happens.

O_O

10chars <-- first time ever this is not offtopic xD
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

As creator of the challenge...some clearification required, if you please.

Would you make it a rule that you have to play them at roughly the same pace, or would simply playing and winning each of 10 in order, without any other char played in between and without any losses qualify as a completed challenge?

And secondly, can one select different races for the classes chosen, or indeed select different classes than the ones you mentioned? I see you have a very wide range of classes, perhaps in my opinion missing either beastfighter or monk (instead of ranger or paladin, mabye). If a player is "might" rather than "magic"-oriented I guess he could choose 10 melee-type characters...and that feels wrongish. Ish. I also guess that starsign-scumming would be a bad thing, right?

A good idea for a challenge, win either by a lot of luck or patience or super skills. Or is that skillz. Anyway something for all of us.

I think I would play same-time-ishly. Grow each of them in VD/DD and see if they manage to get healing and/or grow to level X. Be a pain to finish 9 whole, and then die to a smashed head after walking 3 steps in first dungeon.

And I can't resist throwing burning-hands spellbooks on the fire here...what would you think about selecting the TH talent for this challenge? Did you? I know how I feel about this...
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health

This isn't meant as metal man kind of challenge. It's more a case of challenging yourself to try something new, so there's no strict rules. Of course, if someone wants to play a formal challenge based on this, then go ahead, but it's not what I'm attempting.

If one of my characters dies, then I'm not going to start the whole thing over, just that one character. I think it's more fun to play them at the same pace, though, since you can switch whenever you feel like it.

Picking varying classes is sort of the point with this thing, to encourage playing characters you're not used to. I actually used the starting stats to create fitting pairings (orc barbarian for strength, human wizard for learning etc. and dwarf farmer for general uselessness). I'm glad that monk and beastfighter missed out this way, since they are the two classes I otherwise play the most. I just took whatever starsign I was given and even used random gender.

I'm going with treasure hunter for some of the characters, but can't remember which. I think people overestimate the importance of talents anyway.

Ah, okay. I just read "If one char is killed, I have to start over with it" , and though "the challenge" in stead of readying those next few words.

In that case, not a formal forum challenge as such. But a nice way to explore the game. Let us know how your "band of brothers" fares. Unless you have some sisters in the mix.

About TH, I was thinking if you had to restart all 10 if one died. No difference about it now.

*sniff*
    ADOM General's warning: Treasure Hunting causes slowness, frailty, terrible markmanship and is dangerous to your characters' health

Sounds interesting. Combos are mostly optimal choices, so you should see a lot of how the character is meant to be played. For an added challenge, make them all carbon fiber men. You'll need so many notes that you will have written a book by the time you're done. =P

What's carbon-fiber man? <_<

never carrying more than 100s

Hehe. This is a real challenge if all 10 have to survive the whole thing. I rolled 10, took my frailest (necromancer) into the village dungeon....wham, fireball trap 21 -> 0 HP. Now for scrapping the other 9. Think I'll just take the weakest up some levels before starting the others.

I used a namegiving-system that gave most of them "roleplaying"-like names too...
    Orcbar, Humwiz, Trohea(these three are worst names), Hurarc, Dramin (good name eh), Gnopal, Grabar, Darnec, Higran and Dwafar. The ten commandos.

Probably a real masochistic challenge.

I was about to post this challenge last week! I'm about to start mine. I'm going to start each of the races and get a random class for each.