Thread: Myst Elf questions

Default Myst Elf questions

I've tried some myst elves after picking up ADOM again after some years of not playing it.

I've finally got one that looks like she'll last some time, mainly because of a [10,2] crystal shield and plenty of books in the puppy cave.

I saved the puppy, killed Keethrax, and got through the UD.

There were also lots of herbs, so I really don't need to pick any in the big room. That's where most of my characters have died so far.

A mist elf priest seems very powerful in melee, at least if you start with a mithril weapon and not with an 1d6 club.
    Now that the shield skill is trained, I'm very hard to hit, and I've also got lots of blessed spenseweed and the cure light wounds spell.
    The only thing that seems to be a problem with mist elves is poison or fireball traps, but I got poison covered now.
    Other kinds of traps don't seem to hurt them as much as other races.

I haven't seen any vortices yet, and I'm not looking forward to them. I only have a ring of cold resistance and 48 hp. It seems the only defense is teleportation?
    I have the spell but not teleport control.

Is there any list of what kind of damage is reduced with mist elves?

Talents so far have been hardy, potent aura, strong magic, tough skin. At level 12 I could choose very hardy (6 more hp!) or continue with iron skin and immune to pain.
    I suppose 6 hp is more important when you only have around 50?

Code:
    Claire    St:16  Le:26  Wi:15  Dx:24  To:15  Ch: 9  Ap:26  Ma:28  Pe:17  N+
    DV/PV: 71/11   H: 48(48)   P: 107(107)   Exp: 11/47339   M: 11745

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Background Information

Name: Claire              Race: female Mist Elf     Class: Priest
    Eye color: white          Hair color: white         Complexion: white
    Height: 6'5"              Weight: 66 pounds
    Star sign: Dragon         Birthday: 16/Dragon (day 166 of the year)

Maces & flails           6    +4    +2   +1   skilled              208
    Bows                     1    +2    +1   +0   basic                8
    Shields                  5   +10              skilled              138

Spells

Bless                    :   853,   8pp     (Effectivity: +4)
       Cure Light Wounds        :   535,   5pp     (Effectivity: +3)
       Dispel Undead            :   689,   7pp     (Effectivity: +0)
       Divine Wrath             :   486,  11pp     (Effectivity: +7)
       Ethereal Bridge          :   341,  29pp     (Effectivity: +1)
       Hellish Flames           :   506,   8pp     (Effectivity: +7)
       Know Alignment           :   723,  10pp     (Effectivity: +0)
       Knowledge of the Ancients:   874,  40pp     (Effectivity: +3)
       Lesser Divine Touch      :     7,  15pp     (Effectivity: +0)
       Light                    :   414,   3pp     (Effectivity: +4)
       Nether Bolt              :   487,  11pp     (Effectivity: +4)
       Neutralize Poison        :   740,  10pp     (Effectivity: +1)

Skills: concentration, healing, det item status, herbalism at 100%
    alertness/dodge around  50% going very slowly.

I take all the Hardy talents with Mist Elf, but ime, it does not yield the expected +6 HP [this may be a bug and it may be worthwhile to keep a backup save to post and report].

Mist Elf only takes half damage from melee - not magic, missiles, other traps [at least, ime], etc. Immune to Pain is an awesome talent to have on any class, but especially mist elves because you can then wear the elemental gauntlets.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    I take all the Hardy talents with Mist Elf, but ime, it does not yield the expected +6 HP [this may be a bug and it may be worthwhile to keep a backup save to post and report].

Mist Elf only takes half damage from melee - not magic, missiles, other traps [at least, ime], etc. Immune to Pain is an awesome talent to have on any class, but especially mist elves because you can then wear the elemental gauntlets.
    I got 7 extra hitpoints at level 12 after choosing very hardy. Ive been getting around 4 hp/level, so it seems that you only get around 3 hp from very hardy.
    iron skin/immune to pain was probably better, although trying to get the elemental gauntlets at xp level 15 could also kill me.