Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Berserk tactics, so much the norm.

Default Berserk tactics, so much the norm.

I find that most of the time I set tactics to berserk, the only downside to this is that you get a big discount on DV.

By doing this you mostly kill opponents in one turn, so the loss in DV is mostly not a factor. If you do get hit because you did not kill the opponent and it gets a damaging shot in, the lost HP is quickly recovered by spenseweed anyway.

I feel like suggesting that setting tactics to berserk has some more drawback. Either there is a chance of the weapon slipping out of your hand scaling with strength, the lower the PC's strength bigger the chance or/and a chance for the weapon to break scaling with strength of the PC and material of the weapon(eternium will almost never break)?

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    I feel like suggesting that setting tactics to berserk has some more drawback. ...
    You don't train shields when Berzerk.
    DV is very important when surrounded, or fighting beasts that bypass PV.

Oh yeah, it doesn't train shields. That is so unimportant, I totally forgot about it.
    They can't bypass your PV if they are destroyed though.

Edit - If you play as aggressively as I do, your opponent is destroyed or down to critical when it reaches melee range and is destroyed in the first round of melee combat. DV almost never comes into play then.

I would like to see some more drawback to berserk missile combat also, but it is difficult to think of something that would make sense. Especially with regard to bows and crossbows. Another alternative I am contemplating is that there be a chance of straining/tearing/breaking a muscle/tendon/bone, which would do some damage and reduce the Strength attribute. The chance possibly scaling with the Toughness attribute.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 02-02-2014 at 09:00 AM.

The only necessary fix to tactics is to make switching a turn-consuming action IMHO.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Oh yeah, it doesn't train shields. That is so unimportant, I totally forgot about it.
    They can't bypass your PV if they are destroyed though.

Edit - If you play as aggressively as I do, your opponent is destroyed or down to critical when it reaches melee range and is destroyed in the first round of melee combat. DV almost never comes into play then.
    Well, none of you starting proposal actually helps with situation described in edit.

I do agree that berserk archery is pretty much norm if you do any archery to start with.

As far as fixing this is complicated as I see:

either simply give serious to hit penalty on berserk [or even more likely progressing penalty than rising tactics above normal] - after all I have never heard of berserkers being good at precise stuff like archery [or lockpicking or whatever]

or make something more complicated - like remove all tactics bonus [maybe half penalties too] from ranged combat, instead giving reasonable +to hit/+to damage if not envolved in close combat [it is really easier shoot without distraction and especially if target moves straight on you - as long as your nerve holds - could be awesome use of Courage too] and give analogical penalty if involved.

Well, as I see tactics settings it is concentrating more on your attack and less on your defense when set towards the aggressive side of things and vice versa.

So, even for archery you are concentrating more on being accurate(precise) the more aggressive the setting.

We need something that makes sense from my understanding(view of) of tactics settings to make berserk archery more risky than it currently is.

During my last westside attemp about which I posted here, I would surely have died if I hadn't changed my tactics to defensive or in the end even very defensive. Berserk is just horrible whenever you have to fight against many opponents at once. I usually use it out of pure laziness... it saves some turns an real life time... but there are many situation when it's not the most effective option.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

I agree with you Gordon, there is situations where a defensive approach is required. In most mid to late game situations when weapons are trained, weapons damage is good, strength is higher, HP is high, spenseweed is in the backpack; berserk tactics is the norm for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    or make something more complicated - like remove all tactics bonus [maybe half penalties too] from ranged combat, instead giving reasonable +to hit/+to damage if not envolved in close combat [it is really easier shoot without distraction and especially if target moves straight on you - as long as your nerve holds - could be awesome use of Courage too] and give analogical penalty if involved.
    this is probably the best idea, it always kind of baffled me why tactics setting applied to missle combat [well, except the obvious explanation of being the easiest way to code]

By doing this you mostly kill opponents in one turn, so the loss in DV is mostly not a factor.
    I suggest you to wait until pre21, you may reconsider your opinion.