Thread: Whats your moves per second

Default Whats your moves per second

After doing the Westside story challenge Stingray calculated my move per second. ~2.3 per second. I went and checked my recent wins. That number was pretty consistent. He thought that was fast. I'm not as convinced. So I was wondering: Whats your moves per second?

If you don't have a log to pull the numbers from you can create one by pressing ")" I think. I just know I always do it accidentally when I try to pray. I would suggest doing it from a pretty far along character. You can then access that in your ADOM folder. It will show you the path when you create the file.

For the math challenged that moves/((hours*60+minutes)*60+seconds) or just round and do moves/(hours*60*60)
    Last edited by Tyrnyx; 02-11-2014 at 07:13 PM.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

Heh, cool metric. Back of the envelope says about 1.5 for me.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrnyx View Post
    After doing the Westside story challenge Stingray calculated my move per second. ~2.3 per second. I went and checked my recent wins. That number was pretty consistent.]
    Depends on how much one uses w5 and what persistent number is set.

Took a look on the couple of wins I have posted, and the results were 1.09 and 1.06. So for me it's something like 1.1 moves per second.

As a caveat, I have no idea if the game includes one of the following to the total playing time
    - the time the game window is open and active, but nothing has happened for a long time (taking a break, fetching coffee/food etc).
    - the time the game is open but the window is not active (doing something else with the computer)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Depends on how much one uses w5 and what persistent number is set.
    Yeah. I considered that. I use w-movements heavily (although almost never w5 unless I'm in the library or something). Practiacally speaking I never use anything else. One reason why my recent playthrough as a chaos knight was so painful... I also have no idea what a persistent number is.

Also. I never leave ADOM up in the background or running without me given that I run it on a laptop.

Still an fun metric. Kinda like APM in other (RTS) games.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

I did this for my p20 wins:
    Gnome Thief (76068 turns) - 1.686
    Orc Beastfighter (32046 turns) - 1.354
    Mist Elf Weaponsmith (119727 turns) - 1.713
    Dark Elf Chaos Knight (56907 turns) - 1.470
    Gnome Assassin (55555 turns) - 1.548
    Drakeling Duelist (54251 turns) - 1.332

The last three are most representative of my usual playstyle (and maybe the orc beastfighter, too), so it's interesting they cluster within 1.3-1.6 turns/second.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Where do you guys get the actual game time from?
    1 ULE, 1 UNE, 18 regular endings. Won with every race. Trying to win with every class. Never won with farmer, merchant, mindcrafter and thief.

Where do you guys get the actual game time from?
    Pressing the ) key writes a log file (with .vlg extension) to the Adom document folder. That file contains a section "Playing time".
    The same section also appears in the log file generated after victory/death.

However, it seems that this "playing time" includes also the idle time when you are not playing and the adom is running in the background.

Recently I played a character without ever saving the game and keeping the adom running in the background (the idea was to see if this yields extra score when winning, as has been rumoured).
    The character perished in the Air Temple and the log file told that "You played for 65 hours, 37 minutes and 52 seconds.". This was most likely just the total calendar time from the start of the game, at least it was pretty close. The actual playing time was certainly less than third of that.

interesting concept.

just had a look myself. small sample but i seem to be playing alot faster than i probably should be

Dwarven duelist (died deep in CoC): 70000 moves 5 hours 44 minutes = 3.5 moves a second
    Gnomish Weaponsmith (winner): 88452 moves in 7 hours 51 minutes = ~3 moves a second