Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADOM probably needs a couple of automatic features like DCSS has

Default ADOM probably needs a couple of automatic features like DCSS has

Notably it's autopickup of thrown missiles and sleeping. I'm a rather new ADOM player and these things are the most tedious ones which i met.

Picking missiles manually is very annoying, especially when they lie in a heap of useless loot and you should choose what you want to pick. I know that you can set config file to autopickup missiles as well as other stuff but it will autopickup all missiles regardless if you need them or not (arrows for hurthlings etc) and it's kind of unclear how to set that file properly (i had to google), it doesn't even have an example string. Some option to turn on autopickup for thrown missiles as well as general autopickup for items of different kind in game without config redacting would be very handy.

Sleeping, i mean waiting to heal back when you stay on a spot, it's easy to be attacked, wounded or even killed if you press '.' for a prolonged time and it's very tedious to click '.' many many times. Some option which would let you pass turns till the first monster appears in sight would be extremely helpful.

The second thing you're asking about is covered by wait command.
    Press "w" then press "5" or "s" to wait on the spot.
    By default your character will wait for a set number of turns that can be defined in adom.cfg (under persistence parameter if I'm not mistaken), or until something happens - monsters show up, you are shot from outside of LoS, satiation status changes, spells wear out etc.

As for the first issue, this is already undergoing implementation, at least in a way, and inventory sorting should appear in prerelease 21, possibly with some pickup enhancements as well.
    There are a few RFE threads on this forum, some by me, which target that feature of the game.
    Picking up only quarrels or only arrows or rocks is a very good idea, I'm not sure though if it was posted already or not.
    There are literally hundreds of RFEs waiting to be addressed and most likely this has already been suggested but if it's somehow lost in the endless stream of new RFEs, you might as well post a new one.
    If anything, somebody might just find some old thread about it and mark it as duplicate if it exists, that should get the administration's attention to the issue.

EDIT: I just noticed that this is in ADOM II section. If this is indeed about ADOM 2, then just ignore my comment
    However, it feels like the original poster meant ADOM I so I guess in that context my response is still valid.
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 02-15-2014 at 12:59 PM.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

ty, I will try 'wait' command. I seriously hope he will change autopickup, because its current state is very dangerous to use as well as not very convenient, one probably don't want to pick items in the state of fighting so it probably shouldn't work when there are hostile monster nearby, how it's implemented in DCSS AFAIK.

Hm, I meant ADOM 1.2.0, I didn't know there would be a completely another game later/

You mentioned hurthling, so I'm assuming you only want to pick up rocks. If I'm not mistaken using 'o' in the auto_pickup string instead of '/' will only pick up rocks and not other missiles.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 02-21-2014 at 08:08 AM.
    Learn to learn.

I'd also like to see autopickup of thrown missiles at least, and hopefully autoexplore as well. There aren't always strategic decisions to be made.

There definitely needs to be more finetuned autopickup for missiles (/ picks up rocks for example, UGH).

Most DCSS features aren't needed in ADOM though. I think the only one that should be implemented is inter-level travel in dungeons (can't do stuff like cross the wilderness, but travelling from D:48 to D:32 quickly would be quite nice).
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    Most DCSS features aren't needed in ADOM though. I think the only one that should be implemented is inter-level travel in dungeons (can't do stuff like cross the wilderness, but travelling from D:48 to D:32 quickly would be quite nice).
    ADOM has dungeons that fit on one screen but there are so many of them the effect is similar and boredom is the result at times. It's probably too late to remove tedium/grinding from ADOM but I think some small and important steps could still be made.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    There definitely needs to be more finetuned autopickup for missiles (/ picks up rocks for example, UGH).

Would it include a random chance to be petrified by a gorgon on the way through if you aren't wearing the right amulet?

What if a level is really dangerous? Being able to hop back and forth across the rivers, Big Room, AF/DH, etc. might be a convenience in lategame, but in early game, being able to skip such areas would be a pretty significant change in terms of difficulty.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I'm not sure what you mean JS - obviously, inter-level travel would stop for all the same conditions that normally occur (seeing a hostile monster, encountering an uncrossable obstacle). Being able to hit a couple buttons [with a continue option after taking care of stop conditions or an option to ignore monsters of course] would really be a timesaver in the mid to late game.

[You still have to travel the levels if that isn't clear]
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Oh, I thought you meant something where you could choose D:32 from a list and it would just take you there, skipping all of the parts in between.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.