Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washed away for 170 damage?

Default Washed away for 170 damage?

What would cause a dragon turtle, in the cave in which you're most likely to find dragon turtles, to do about 170 damage with a single breath attack? It's been a long time since I made it that far, but...I don't recall them being all that big of a threat.

Nothing special causes it. They do massive damage with their breath attack.
    The door suddenly falls in your direction! You are not nimble enough to evade the door. Your anvil is crunched!

http://kandrewsmith.blogspot.com

Basic beginner mistake, underestimating the dragon turtles :P Invisibility is recommended if going to the cave with a not-so-tough PC.
    Last edited by tapi; 07-01-2009 at 02:54 AM.

Or music. Tame a giant dragon turtle, bring it onto dry land and watch it wash away all your enemies. Just try not to stand in the way...
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I like Grey's idea, but that sounds a little more dangerous than I'd be willing to try.

On the topic of dragon turtles though, I made this same noob mistake a few weeks ago, but got hit for about 230 in one "washing". I was wondering what kind of damage that attack is. Logic would tell me cold or drowning, but I'm sure I was wearing the AMW and blue helmet, so... physical? Is the attack affected by DV or PV at all?

Its a special breath attack, nothing can stop it. The cave is dangerous.
    As your jaw drops in astonishment at the sight of the strange beast, a jet of bubbles swirls instantly out of the comical critters mouth towards you. Just as you realise the swirling bubbles must be carried by something in order to move through the water around you, the current hits you like a 200 pound Torpex depth charge in a swimming pool, and your face implodes under the insane pressure from the plume of water, forcing parts of your skull down past your wildly flapping epiglottis and into your bronchi, only for those slivers of bone to be ejected from your body through the inner surface of your lungs by the ever increasing water pressure a few milliseconds later. Millions of small skull fragments erupt from your torso. You die.
    Last edited by vogonpoet; 07-01-2009 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vogonpoet View Post
    As your jaw drops in astonishment at the sight of the strange beast, a jet of bubbles swirls instantly out of the comical critters mouth towards you. Just as you realise the swirling bubbles must be carried by something in order to move through the water around you, the current hits you like a 200 pound Torpex depth charge in a swimming pool, and your face implodes under the insane pressure from the plume of water, forcing parts of your skull down past your wildly flapping epiglottis and into your bronchi, only for those slivers of bone to be ejected from your body through the inner surface of your lungs by the ever increasing water pressure a few milliseconds later. Millions of small skull fragments erupt from your torso. You die.
    rofl 10chars

Quote Originally Posted by brim View Post
    I made this same noob mistake a few weeks ago, but got hit for about 230 in one "washing". I was wondering what kind of damage that attack is. Logic would tell me cold or drowning, but I'm sure I was wearing the AMW and blue helmet, so... physical? Is the attack affected by DV or PV at all?
    I think it's water damage, cold resistance gear seems to have no effect. A pity, I would gladly pay a big bag of gold for a "ring of water resistance" or somethng like that.

I think it's a disputed fact whether means of water breathing protect you from this kind of damage or not. I personally don't know. If I enter the cave without water breathing, it's because I have teleport, invisibility and a quite strong character, and I stay the hell away from those turtles.

Brilliant! Wonder why TB didn't implement that one as a special death message...
    Suddenly a stream of acid pours down from the ceiling! The cute dog is horribly mutilated by the acidic fluids! The cute dog dies!

Quote Originally Posted by vogonpoet View Post
    Well, I'm gonna save this for some opportune time. Masterpiece!