Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The worst nightmare on D50?

I don't think it's so much that Courage is useless; it's that being surrounded is so tactically undesirable that you should really avoid it at all costs. Except in Big Room, cavernous levels, Earth temple, etc. it's pretty uncommon to have more than one or two monsters attacking you at once if you're fairly careful. This is one of the rare situations where being surrounded is very difficult to avoid and you don't have much room to retreat.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I personally consider the Earth Temple a real challange in the current ADOM version. All of my last chars (those who got that far that means) got surrounded several times by the minons of the ancient stone beast.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

So the bonuses to berserk output are worthless? RFE time?

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    For lawful characters, probably the dreaded white unicorn threat room would be up there. Especially hilarious slap in the face for platinum girdle characters.
    This, same with neutral chars.

I had an altar on D:48 the one time though
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Except in Big Room, cavernous levels, Earth temple, etc.
    That's right, and balors in D:50, and any teleportitis+tension room disaster, and unicorn threat rooms, and ghost lord threat rooms... i.e., it's useless except in some of the most dangerous situations in the game, where deaths tend to occur most often.

That's what I call highly useful.

If you are fighting more than two balors at once on D:50, you are doing it VERY wrong. Courage is completely unnecessary and does very little for you - aside from the Earth Temple, when it can actually come in handy, it's almost always better to just get the heck out of there or go defensive and blast wands (also valid for Earth Temple). There is rarely a good reason to fight more than two monsters at once at any given point in the game.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Yeah, I've read that multiple times. Well, I have completed the game several times and I always had situations where I was fighting several monsters at the same time.

I'm not a perfect player. I suppose most players aren't, either, or they wouldn't die. If I were a perfect player I certainly wouldn't need Courage, but I wouldn't need most skills or items either.

The worst nightmare on D50 will be p21.

Hopefully. Because barring random nasty tension rooms, it's sort of a joke now.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    That's what I call highly useful.
    To be useful courage ought to be reliable. And it is not.

I guess since to hit penalty is displayed player can wait on coward until courage kicks in and when go offensive on safer turns. But if you do what you are either not in so much danger or not the type of player who gets surrounded.

For situation listed boozed up teleport wand is best solution.