Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The worst nightmare on D50?

Default The worst nightmare on D50?

ok guys, what is one thing u dnt want to see on d50?
    i was a drakeling barbarian at a decent level.
    had decimated all b4 me.
    crowned with vanquisher saved kelly.
    i made only 1 mistake...i killed a difficult to find monster as first kill...in lewiathon and didnt complete the courage quest.
    fast forward to d50.
    i thot this is gonna b yavp but i found a............greater earth elemental tension room!!!
    i had amulet of life saving ankh 500hp AND fireball at full charge but these mofos ALWAYS hit me all the time cause i didnt have courage and they obv surrounded me
    anyways i used healing potions spells prayers and got them down to 5 or so and then....
    i was surrounded by 5, all at low hp AND 1 AWAY FROM ME
    used a fireball at 150 hp left
    killed 3 badly injured 2...
    now its their turn to act
    1 of them goes fight till death in blind rage other normal. bam bam bam bam bam bam..i live
    then the 3rd one throws a rock at me from distance
    I DIE
    game over the end
    didnt even use aols zz
    so are greater earth elementals the worst thing u can face on d50?
    cause even balor tension room is better in my opinion.. they cant walk tru walls so u only tackle 2 at a time and they are slow as hell so u can kite them

PS: i had a speed of around 60 cause of d49 which didnt help much either

Courage is totally useless. I doubt it would have made any difference in your case.
    There are enough choke points everywhere to kill monsters one by one.
    I don't remember a single past game (at least during the prerelease) when I bothered to get courage.
    Of course (greater) earth elementals are nasty because they go through walls but stealth is readily available so it's best to just close the door and leave them there.
    Once D:50 is clear, you can open the door with a wand and lure them out one by one with well placed arrows/quarrels from outside of their line of sight.
    Get a greater titan tension room on D:50 and tell me what's tough again. Those bastards can hit you with a quarrel from a distance while on coward with 100+ dv and damage you for 100+ points each time.
    Plus they are resistant to all elemental magic and have a shitton of HP and a powerful melee attack.
    Also as a drake you should have made certain that your speed is at least restored if not buffed to ~200 with fire.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I also lost a Drakish Barb on D50. Was impatient with speed and didn't have any fire to hasten the process. I opened a door and instantly died to a Quickling queen. Clearly, the worst depends a lot on your character. Some monsters being magically immune and other being physically very difficult. Personally, I've never faced greater titans in mass. That sounds rough. Yet I've never faced greater earth elementals for that matter. RNG'd to the face.

I hate high level quicklings for one but I wouldn't say they are the absolute worst. Just pretty bad.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

yeah im not convinced abt grater titan > greater earth elemental cause u need to fight them only 1 at a time and they cant insta kill u cause u will fight them from ranged and 200 odd damage is nothing. also u can just leave them b as opposed to gee who search u out and surround u.\
    but mayb ur right!

For lawful characters, probably the dreaded white unicorn threat room would be up there. Especially hilarious slap in the face for platinum girdle characters.

Greater earth elementals are definitely pretty bad though. They can detect you through the walls so you don't even need to open the threat room before they start swarming you.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I had a greater titan threat room on D47 during one of my youtube runs (24:30 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=260-...d_XJh1s8u9t-F4)... actually managed to kill them for a whole lot of experience, although I didn't play very clever back then and got quite a beating.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Quickling queen threat room is far, far worse. (I'd say it's probably worse than greater titans)
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

I got a greater Titan room no D50 once. As a wizard I had some trouble with them but with alot of running around, using digging wands and using missile weapons I killed them all at some point. I think Earth Elementals are worse for non-spellcasters because titans can be killed with slaying ammo and dont walk through walls.

The common lore is that Courage is useless. I personally think it's underrated. I feel the difference clearly.

Courage is useless only to those who play so carefully that they fight each single enemy at a bottleneck one on one. To everybody else the skill is definitely useful.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners