Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi Guys! Just a few questions!

Default Hi Guys! Just a few questions!

Hi Everybody!

I don't know if anyone remembers me but I used to post on this forum! I like ADOM a lot but haven't been playing it too much lately. Anyways, I took a break from playing and coming on this website because I didn't want to spoil the "Resurrection" changes! Does anyone remember that?

Anyways, I think I will start playing again but wondered if I should pick up any of these "trial" versions that have come out. I have not been because I think it will be better to wait for the final product right? My version is the 1.1 right now.

Also, should I maybe keep waiting? It's been a while since I got an email about the "Resurrection" (I supported it so I get emails) so I wondered if it is still happening or maybe it's close to being done?

Thanks everyone. I hope you all have a good time playing!

Have a good day.

I remember you. The latest prerelease has graphical tiles and music, some basic mouse support and is little more challenging in some respects. There also not a truckload of bugs that is present in 1.1.1.

I strongly suggest the latest prerelease and then the next one when that is released.

P.S. Health bars, 2 new races and powerful classes.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 04-02-2014 at 02:49 PM.
    Learn to learn.

It will probably be... awhile... before the Resurrection is officially done. There's no ETA on it, but, well, things take time. It could easily be another year, IMHO.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Hi Guys! Thanks for talking to me!

So I got the new version. 1.2.0

O_o

Wow! There's color and sound and lots of things and this is amazing!

I did not believe this could be done. It is pretty great. Oh but man, I have forgotten so much! Couldn't remember how to make the healer like me if I'm Evil so I just killed him to get the Healing instead. Lots of things like that.

But! I saved the puppy! It is pretty great.

I can't believe there is even more that it isn't done yet I mean this is already crazy with music and pictures.

Thanks again!

Hi, good to see you return.

As JellySlayer said, if you'd rather hold on to 1.1.1 until 1.2.0 goes final, that's going to take a long time. We've been waiting a good four months now just to get from pr20 to pr21.

I would recommend that you play prerelease 20 so that you can begin to get familiar with the massive amount of things changed and added so far.
    "And light there be!"

EDIT:

I'm a jerk sometimes you know....
    Last edited by melphen; 04-03-2014 at 06:24 AM.

Off the top of my head, the major changes so far are:

-Graphics, mouse support and sound have been added (these are optional if you're a purist like me who prefers ASCII)
    -Most of ADOM Sage functionality has now been incorporated. There's a single key that you can use to repeat actions, you can suppress message spam, color-code important messages, automatically swap with hostile monsters, etc.
    -Duelist and chaos knight classes have been added. Mist elf and ratling races have been added. A minor ending variation for chaos knights was added.
    -A few new artifacts and items have been added.
    -Numerous major and minor bugs have been fixed (eg. ingot crash bug). pre20 is extremely stable.
    -Various ingame balance issues have been tweaked. This is somewhat of an ongoing process as a few of them (eg. difficulty of Thrundarr first quest) still need work.
    -Various changes have been made to make the game a bit more approachable to new players.
    -A new (rare) artifact-bearing room has been added.
    -A set of new community-created boss monsters that appear randomly have been added. A few of these still have some issues.
    -A set of statues honoring people who donated to the campaign have been added. This implementation is still more or less in alpha.

The upcoming pre21 (several months in the making) will feature a new quest, called Domain of the Ice Queen, or something to that effect, among many, many other significant effects (eg. appearance will now be useful!)
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

You forgot to mention that there is a new set of corruptions, and some of them are great fun. And some artifacts that were unreachable due to a bug now actually appear (apart from the newly-added artifacts).

Among the balance changes, the most important (that I can think of) are (don't open if you don't want to be spoiled):

Hi Guys! Thanks again. I am not "spoiled" yet! Though it is tempting to click.

RIght now I'm just ambling about cause Thrundar is just the worst. Troll Berserker! I know I had that on one of my old games where I finished and I just never completed it till I was really deep in the game. Is there any other way to gain literacy? I got the Jharad quest instead of the Black Druid so I can't eat him.

Right now getting literacy I think will be the biggest hurdle unless I can't find some frost or herbs. So far I am Zero for Three! D: (And my god hates me cause I killed a rat.) >_<

Thanks again everyone! I hope you are all having fun with this game.

Oh! A couple more questions.

I have found a few Statues (not figurines). What do they do? I can walk over them but can't kick them or anything.

And these new artifacts did they get made by donors? I think I remember something like that popping up somewhere but am not sure.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
    RIght now I'm just ambling about cause Thrundar is just the worst. Troll Berserker! I know I had that on one of my old games where I finished and I just never completed it till I was really deep in the game. Is there any other way to gain literacy?
    Find and eat a dark sage corpse, drink a potion of education and be very lucky for it to give you exactly this skill, or wish for it.

Giving the weird tome to the ghost librarian also grants Literacy, but that comes much later in the game. The Thrundarr quest is tricky for the time being, but you may find the monster he wants if you spend enough time in the TotHK's cavernous levels.

I have found a few Statues (not figurines). What do they do? I can walk over them but can't kick them or anything.
    Right now, they do nothing except printing a message when you walk over them. If I remember right we weren't meant to see them in the game yet, but they "leaked" due to a mistake and were kept ever since. Even in their current "alpha" status, they add a lot of flavor to the game

And these new artifacts did they get made by donors? I think I remember something like that popping up somewhere but am not sure.
    I think that was only for a select few who made high-tier donations. The other artifacts that will be added and their properties don't get decided by anyone in particular, although there's a forum thread with suggestions, from which TB may draw input.
    "And light there be!"