Thread: Eol: Drakeling Monk gatecloser, first win

Default Eol: Drakeling Monk gatecloser, first win

I have been playing ADoM for about 8 years already and finally achieved a victory. It wasn't easy for me despite of
    good RC-combo and some gifts from RNG.

IMHO key to victory in ADoM is variety of options. Some enemies is better dealt with brute melee force, some are easily dispatched by ranged combat, some weak to spells. That's why I like monks and especially drakeling monks. They are universal, you can rely on unarmed combat and play in martial artist style or become heavy tanked warrior utilizing lvl 13 power to smite your armor up to maximum. Spellcasting is also an option, Darkness and Invisibility is rather easy to master and help a lot in mid-game.

The biggest disadvantage of monks is tough early game. I chose Raven birthsign to help me outrun some nasty enemies at low levels and it really helped me couple of times.

I've started game in SMC (after taking some detour to Black Market - nothing intresting there), it went quite smooth. I equipped some gear with unknown status( two hander, metal girdle, metal boots) to get some PV and damage, but it turned out to be cursed. There was scroll shop in UD (which helped to uncurse two-handed sword) and there was nothing nasty like mixed tension rooms also. I've gained 8 levels there and adamantium long sword with some good shield.

Classic route was taken later Puppy Cave -> DD -> learning Pick Pockets from master thief . There was a neutral altar at PC: 1, so I was able to detect my gear status. Guth'Alak teached me herbalism and gave me PoCC for black druid corpse. At that time I still had had my cursed girdle on me and no scrolls of uncursing, so went to ID to grind for money and potions of water. Got 4 or 5 potions, two levels and some money to train Detect traps from ID, then went back to puppy cave. Issrecht blessed my water and I've decided to precrown(I was like 11-lvl with only black torc generated). After some really tedious time I finally convinced diety in my loyalty, but a cat was killed in a process( cave lion was in dark room and I noticed his death only after slaying him and finding his corpse). I thought after such punch in face from RNG I'll get something like black tome but it were shinning silver bracers! Yay!
    Also, I found a ring of fish somewhere and raised my food preservation quite high, so it wasn't bad idea to seek some blinkies in ID and pay a visit to Blup's mom after that. Blink dog was found soon, so I've got TControl from it and some her friend's corpses stashed in BM( I hoped to poolsip wish later, so some precautions had to be made).

Then I went to upper CoC, got a quest for ancient dwarf( slay a jelatinous cube, not too hard), farmed some morgia, moss and stoma in Big Room. This time I wasn't lucky with breeders, had to use green slime instead of my favourite worms, but after hundreds of slain spiders( damn dark elves!) room was pacified. Upped my De, To, Wi, now it was time for Pyramid and Graveyard. With BoW and Detect traps it was a cake walk, got ankh, AMW, gauntlets.

It was too early to dive deeper to CoC(and kill Khelly in this case) so I did some business on the surface. Got Tele wand from VDDL( thanks to 13 lvl class power), visited underwater cave with blessed ring of fish and teleport wand, made Blup happy. Needed some xp to get to lvl 16, so I went to gremlin cave and then to TotHK. Gremlins were easy, but TotHK turned to be huge pain in ass. I had no wand of cold, no cold spells either, so I needed some cooperative Orge Magus, but RNG had no intentions to give me one. There was an altar on level 4 or something, so I converted it and sacced a *lot* of enemies, but due to some bug I haven't received 'absolutely close' message despite of being N= (piety level couldn't be an issue here, crowning after 1 precrowning shouldn't be terribly hard and I literally spent days of game time there saccing all that moves and not neutral). Issrecht was happy but I wasn't, still no orge magus and a lot of time wasted. After some more days finally cold vortex was generated, so I desperately decided to give it a try. Last time I tried to freeze water with vortex it exploded right after descending, so this time I lured spider down, and let him to web tiles near stairs, then descended with the vortex. I wasn't sure that it would help, but it helped, so I lured vortex to lake. There I let it float over water, so I was able to freeze as much water as possible. It worked perfectly and vortex committed suicide as planned, making a frozen bridge. Got platinum ring, next target was Dark Forge. Steel Golems were walking pieces of xp, I had near 50 Dx with BoW and RCT, so my DV was huge. No artifacts has spawned, and I had no AoLS, with high piety it was worth trying to get one. I got doomed 3 or 4 times, had to go to puppy cave altar, only 2 pools left and "What do you wish for?_ ", what a relief! Also gained perm invis there, which helped a lot in ToEF.

I saved Kelly, did all dwarf quests, and dived to deeper CoC. Got water orb (RCT rocks - water breathing helped with rivers, demon slaying - with Snake), now only wall of fire divided me and late game. I took a lot of healing, couple of blessed fireproof blankets, bloated myself with stoma and went to tower. BoW regen is great for drakelings, all this dizzy damage was effectively healed. Invis made me able to lure ACW from temple, and then I dispatched him with trident, with speed of 300 I could run in circles around him. Half game done, time to dive and end the game.

Air temple was a pushover, killed all that moved there for exp. Next stop - cat lord. I had some humanoid slaying ammo, and I was really pissed off with cats in this game, so leaving Cat Lord alive wasn't an option. And it was a really exciting fight as I expected. Cat was lured to upper level, I was able to run at the same pace as this cat, but in melee he ripped me apart like child. So only good tactic was to throw phial in his face and shoot some slaying ammo while he stragglers aimlessly. I've tried to play safe but once he managed to bring me to 50 hp or so. Finally he went down, giving me nice xp boost.
    At D:40 I finally saw "truly excited" when entered the level. Thankfully, it was GGV, not GUV one, I cleared it all with relative ease and got writing set(2), ordinary ring, and OMG, 'jet-black axe'! BoW and this great weapon, after this I wan't able to lose even if I wished to. Earth temple was easy, but one thing began to bother me. Out of sudden, I managed to exceed 90 day limit (all that trips from DFG to Puppy Cave, time spent in TotHK), and my heap of 10 SoCRs( 6 from Kelly and 4 from mystic) began to melt.

Mana Temple also was challenging, I lost my last char because of terrible stat drain there, so this time I lured Nuurag from temple with wand of far slaying and kited him using same tactics with phial and slaying ammo.
    Next stop - D50. I had no potion of uslessness, no free artifact for me, but with Executor and BoW you just don't need any. At D:50 I read all scrolls of peace, drunk some potions of stats, and recovered from terrible cold using wand of trap creation - 10 fireballs from trap brought me to somewhat normal speed. Destroyed levers with WoD, managed to kill all ballors( including Fisty), got heavily corrupted(balors hit pretty often even with 90+ DV), no scrolls left but gates was closed. One of balors dropped potion of water, so I blanked heap of 4 scrolls of power, wrote 4 SoCR and cleansed myself.

After ascending up to surface, I did white unicorn quest (it wasn't necessary, wrote 2 more SoCR from second set while going to surface and wasn't tainted by Chaos at all) and Left Drakalor Chain.

Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                     Screenshot

^^^                                    ^^^        ^^^^          ^^^^^
           ^^*^^^^                                ^^^^^      ^^^^^^^    ^^^^^^..^
          ^===""""~                               ~^*^^=======^^*^^^^^^^^^^^^.@^^
           =="""~~~              &&o        ~~~~~~&&&========="""""""&&^~^^*^.^^
          """"~~~^^             ^^&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&==""""""""""&&~~~^....^
          ""~~^^*^             ^^^^^^^^^^^^&&&&&&&&&""""=""""""""""&&&&&o..~^^^
         ""~~~^^^^^^^           ^^*^"""""""""""""""""""=="""""""""&&&&&&&&&&^^^^
         ~~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^""""""""""""""""""""=""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&~~^^^
         ^^^^^~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^"""""&&&&"""*&&&&""""=="""""&&&&&&&&&&&&~~~^^^^
          ^^^^~~~~~~"o""""^^"""""""""&&&&&&&&&......^^^^==""    "&&o&&&&~~~~^*^^^
           ^^^~~~~"""""""""""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&.^^*^^=      ""&&&&&&~~~^^^^^^
          ^^~~~~~"""""""""""""""&&&&&&&*&*&&&&&&&&&....^^^  =="""&&""&&&~~~~~^^^
         ^^^&""""""""""""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&&&*&&&&&&&&&.""""""===="""""~~~~~^^^^^^
         ^^^&&""""""""""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&""""""==""====""~~~*^^^ ^*^
         ^^*^&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&^^^*^^^^&&&&&&&&&&&&&&"""""===""""""""~~~~^^^^ ^~^
         ^^^^^^&&&&&&&&&&&&&^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^&&&&&&&&&&""""""=^^"""~^^^^^^  ^o^
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^      ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^+^^^^^^   ^^^
                                 ^^^           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Eol           St:32  Le:17  Wi:31  Dx:59  To:35  Ch:16  Ap:11  Ma:13  Pe:16 N+
    DV/PV: 81/34   H: 729(729)    P: 199(199)    Exp: 42/17256362   DrCh  Sp: 156
    Blessed Invisible Bloated

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Background Information

Name: Eol                 Race: male Drakeling      Class: Monk
    Eye color: blue           Hair color: bald          Complexion: light green
    Height: 5'8"              Weight: 158 pounds        Scars: 1
    Star sign: Raven          Birthday: 8/Raven (day 8 of the year)

YOUR HISTORY:
            Your parents belong to the lower class. They were honest
     hard-working people, who did everything to enable you to live a
     comfortable and fine life. They were not very successful.
            As a child your parents cared a lot for you. Despite all
     circumstances you enjoyed a happy and fine childhood.
            During your youth you had a lot of fun playing with other kids of
     your age. You always were a natural leader and the center of interest.
            As a young adult you left your home because of trouble with your
     parents. They opposed your plans for the future without understanding your
     wishes. Thus you decided to live on your own. You wandered through the
     country for many years, growing older and wiser and learning many things.
            You decided to become a Monk.

Inventory
    Total weight: 6138 stones                Carrying capacity: 8675 stones

Head          : uncursed eternium cap [+0, +3]                        [28s]
    Neck          : uncursed amulet of light                               [3s]
    Body          : uncursed ancient mummy wrapping [+1, +5] {Ap-8}       [60s]
    Girdle        : blessed girdle of carrying [+0, +0]                   [15s]
    Cloak         : uncursed cloak of defense [+3, +0]                    [20s]
    Right Hand    : blessed rune-covered trident (+6, 3d12+6) [+4, +4] {Dx+12}
    Left Hand     : -
    Right Ring    : uncursed ring of slaying (+9 melee damage, +6 missile damage)
    Left Ring     : blessed ring of slaying (+6 melee damage, +6 missile damage)
    Bracers       : uncursed bracers of war [+8, +4] {Dx+8}               [10s]
    Gauntlets     : uncursed studded gloves [+3, +2]                       [6s]
    Boots         : blessed boots of the divine messenger [+3, +3] {Dx+5} [25s]
    Missile weapon: -
    Missiles      : -
    Tool          : -

Weapon Skills

Melee weapon           Lvl   Hit   Dam   DV   Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---   ---   --   -------------  --------------
    Unarmed fighting         7    +4    +3   +2   skilled              258
    Daggers & knives         1    +1    +0   +0   basic                25
    Clubs & hammers          1    +1    +0   +0   basic                25
    Maces & flails           1    +1    +0   +0   basic                25
    Swords                  11   +10    +7   +4   Mastery              2002
    Axes                    12   +12   +10   +3   Mastery              2023
    Whips                    1    +1    +0   +1   basic                25
    Pole arms               12   +14    +8  +16   Mastery              1161
    Twohanded weapons        4    +4    +4   +1   skilled              1
    Staves                   1    +1    +0   +1   basic                25

Missile weapon         Lvl   Hit   Dam   Ra   Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---   ---   --   -------------  --------------
    Slings                   0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7
    Bows                     8   +16   +12   +2   excellent            354
    Crossbows                0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7
    Thrown axes & hammers    0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7
    Thrown daggers           0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7
    Thrown rocks & clubs     0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            6
    Thrown spears            0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            1
    Boomerangs & scurgari    0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7

Shields                Lvl   DV               Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---              -------------  --------------
    Shields                  9   +18              excellent            599

Damage caused with your melee weapons:
    --------------------------------------
    Right hand: +81 bonus to hit, 3d12+41 damage

Damage caused with your missile weapons:
    ----------------------------------------
    No missile weapons available.

Skills

Alertness ................100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Athletics ................100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Backstabbing ............. 76    (great)        [+1]
      Climbing ................. 66    (good)         [+1d3]
      Concentration ............100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Detect traps .............100    (superb)       [+1d5]
      Dodge .................... 83    (great)        [+1d5]
      Find weakness ............100    (superb)       [+1d3]
      First aid ................100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Food preservation ........100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Haggling ................. 50    (fair)         [+2d4]
      Healing ..................100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Herbalism ................100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Listening ................100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Literacy .................100    (superb)       [+1d5]
      Music .................... 67    (good)         [+1d5]
      Pick pockets .............100    (superb)       [+1d3]
      Smithing ................. 56    (good)         [+1d5]
      Stealth ..................100    (superb)       [+1d5]
      Swimming ................. 74    (great)        [+1d3]
      Tactics .................. 61    (good)         [+1d3]
      Two weapon combat ........ 32    (fair)         [+4d5]

Spells

Darkness     :    55,   5pp     (Effectivity: +0)
       Identify     :    63, 102pp     (Effectivity: +0)
       Knock        :    62,  16pp     (Effectivity: +1)
       Light        :    39,   4pp     (Effectivity: +0)
       Teleportation:   156,  22pp     (Effectivity: +4)

Code:
                  His achievements during his adventures:

Eol, the drakish monk, saved the world with his brave efforts and became a
    great ruler while saving himself 11 times.
    He scored 10270664 points and advanced to level 42.
    He survived for 0 years, 99 days, 20 hours, 36 minutes and 0 seconds (112423
    turns).
    4 companions were killed during his adventures.
    Eol visited 110 places.
    His strength score was modified by +8 during his career.
    His learning score was modified by +5 during his career.
    His willpower score was modified by +13 during his career.
    His dexterity score was modified by +19 during his career.
    His toughness score was modified by +13 during his career.
    His charisma score was modified by +4 during his career.
    His appearance score was modified by +9 during his career.
    His mana score was modified by +2 during his career.
    His perception score was modified by +1 during his career.
    He was the champion of the arena.
    He was a member of the thieves guild.
    He made a little water dragon very happy.
    He saved Khelavaster from certain death.
    He left the Drakalor Chain after completing his quest and became a great
    leader and famous hero.
    6596 monsters perished under his attacks.
    The following 23 artifacts were generated during his adventure:
      the si
      the scythe of corruption "Moon Sickle"
      the golden gladius "Death's Sting"
      the Chaos Orb of Elemental Water
      the Chaos Orb of Elemental Air
      the Chaos Orb of Elemental Fire
      the Chaos Orb of Elemental Earth
      the lead-filled mace "Big Punch"
      the rune-covered trident
      the elemental gauntlets
      the ring of the High Kings
      the phial of Caladriel
      the crown of science
      the ancient mummy wrapping
      the ankh
      the boots of the divine messenger
      the black torc
      the bracers of war
      the Chaos Orb of Elemental Mana
      //First GGV
      the jet-black battle axe "Executor"
      // never found this one, probably missed it in GGV
      the rune-covered heavy mace "Purifier"
      // Second GGV
      the dwarven pick axe "Hammerhead"
      the emerald dagger "Serpent's Bite"
    He possessed the following intrinsics:
      He was fire resistant.
      He was poison resistant (enhanced through an item).
      He was cold resistant.
      He was acid resistant.
      He was lucky (enhanced through an item).
      Fate smiled upon him.
      He was sleep resistant (enhanced through an item).
      He was petrification resistant.
      He was able to control teleportation (enhanced through an item).
      He was invisible.
      He was stun resistant (gained through items).
      He was paralyzation resistant (gained through an item).
      He was resistant to death rays (gained through items).
      He was shock resistant.
      He was able to see invisible things (gained through items).
      He was immune to shock attacks.
      //Giant Slug somwhere in TotHK
      He was immune to acidic attacks.
      He was immune to ice attacks (gained through items).
      He was able to breathe water (gained through an item).
      He was able to resist confusion attacks (gained through an item).
    He had the following talents: Careful, Defensive Fighter, Dodger, Good Shot,
    Greased Lightning, Hardy, Immune to Pain, Iron Skin, Keen Shot, Long Stride,
    Quick, Shield Specialist, Steel Skin, Tough Skin, Very Quick.
    He had a final speed score of 156 (final base speed: 166).
    He was a messiah of Issrecht.
    He asked for 8 divine interventions.
    He was a holy champion of Balance.

The following monsters were vanquished:
    	 //yep, hundreds of them
        249 large spiders

//lots of summoners TotHK
         26 wererats
         25 werewolves
          1 werewolf king
          6 werewolf lords
        102 zombies

Nice game, getting BoW as a precrown is great.
    I love monks, for the same reasons you mentioned - versatility.

I noticed however that you did not throw the trident - with Executor in your right hand and trident as missile, not even the worst of GUVs would keep your from clearing them.
    It slays demons and undead which means that balors on D:50 shouldn't even be able to touch you, that's how I did it recently with a mindcrafter (also raven born for the trident) where I basically killed everything throwing the rune-covered trident.
    Also, writing socrs by a monk for no costs other than some PP and HP is pretty amazing, I remember that saved me once from a nasty corruption on D:50 - attached to chaos.
    Of course honorable mention goes to kicking down walls, which is a super amazing skill, especially if you need to "adjust" the walls around an altar to streamline the flow of monsters for your precrown.

Also I see you have skipped the maze entirely. I guess monks aren't better at doing it than other chars but the rewards could certainly be of help, those stats you have aren't too exciting, I think
    On the other hand, with those Dx, To and St attributes, you don't really need much else.
    Nice game, well played.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I noticed however that you did not throw the trident - with Executor in your right hand and trident as missile, not even the worst of GUVs would keep your from clearing them.
    It slays demons and undead which means that balors on D:50 shouldn't even be able to touch you, that's how I did it recently with a mindcrafter (also raven born for the trident) where I basically killed everything throwing the rune-covered trident.
    Yep, it's good way to deal with strong demonic/undead foes from the distance, but I didn't trained throwing spears and thought that it would
    miss balors most of the time.

Also I see you have skipped the maze entirely. I guess monks aren't better at doing it than other chars but the rewards could certainly be of help, those stats you have aren't too exciting, I think
    For some nostalgic reasons I've been playing v 1.1.1, so maze totally didn't worth it.

But I have access for all prereleases, so it's time to see some mindcrafters in action in 1.2.0. I admire melee-oriented classes and mindcrafters seems to be such a nice class to play (really enjoyed reading your
    YAVP about GE mindcrafter), but corruption from touching corrupted minds frightens me. And I'd really like to see all this fancy tiles of NotEye, but Alucard's servers are sooo
    convinient - ability to play from every my PC via terminal, no worry about crashes, low laptop battery and other hardware-related issues. Guess I must thank him for this win too, without servers I probably wouldn't be able to do it)

Mindcrafters are definitely worth it, I've been pretty much playing mindcrafters and monks interchangeably for the past couple of games.
    Corruption from touching corrupted mind is the least of your problems. Beware of undead and tension rooms full of them just behind that closed door.
    I've lost a couple of promising MCs to this and none to corruption.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."