Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So many changes in a few years!

I've tried playing with graphics and just can't get used to it - I just find ASCII far superior. I do find myself looking at every monster I come across to admire the graphics though (they really are amazing). The first roguelike I ever played was Ragnarok/Valhalla and you also saw the entire level ASCII on the top half of the screen, with the bottom showing a small graphical overview (along with buttons on the right if you preferred that to hot keys). I find myself alternating between the two views often, but mainly using the ASCII.

I haven't got around to playing with the Noteye settings yet, but seeing as the ASCII setup is a window and leaves plenty of space on my monitor I'm hoping to figuring out a way to get a similar setup so I can alternate between them.

It's both possible, and what I like to use. Specifically, you can alter the minimap size/position, as well as alter the tile size, so you can do half and half. I like having minimap on top 3/4, and have the bottom 1/4 tiles. (easiest way to do this is just set the main display ASCII and the minimap display tiles) YMMV. But I highly, highly recommend messing around with the settings until you see what they all do. They're quite versatile.

Good news! I will play around with this tonight.. I keep meaning to, but that would detract from my playtime

Just to clarify, can you set the mini-map to not overlap the main screen so it essentially expands the ADOM window height?

I keep jumping back and forth between playing noteye and ascii. I like ascii for the clarity in reading the map (and seeing small item drops... arrows in the field...), but noteye is great for the health bars and actually being able to see WHAT an enemy is. I think noteye is better for immersion, but ascii is better for strategic thinking.

They both have their advantages, and they both have their setbacks.

EDIT: Just read the post about being able to adjust the settings for map placement and such. I think I'm gonna try 3/4 noteye 1/4 ascii when I get home tonight.