Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extremely promising character - stupid mistakes finally got the better of him

Default Extremely promising character - stupid mistakes finally got the better of him

Mist Elf Wizard, fell to the Chaos Archmage in the Mana temple due to sheer stupidity.

My first time playing a wizard and really enjoyed it - will try it again in the future. Overall had a very good game with some great moments:
    1. pickpocketing ~3 SoCR, 1 RoDS
    2. Wand of Wishing (4 charges)... Died with 2 charges and 2 RoDS back in storage
    3. Lots of spells, Khelly saved, on his way to attempting an archmage
    4. Scroll shop (???) 2 levels above Mana temple
    5. 60ish PV (found a threat room of chaos knights so was swimming in eternium gear)
    6. Cleared Minotaur Maze for the first time - 6 PoGA and Black Thumb... I had 10 PoGA in my stash when I died.. didn't have enough holy water to bless them all

And some really stupid moments:
    1. Fireballing a dwarven child in Dwarftown by hitting the wrong key (Ruun saw and did nothing!)... luckily nobody seemed to care
    2. Sacrificing elemental gauntlets to a Neutral Altar when chaotic (wanted to sac 10 gold to move back to N).. whoops. Probably would have hurt my chances at an archmage
    3. Not my fault, but completely shafted by RNG as far as artifacts.. UGV containing Artifact gauntlets of peace and Cloak of Oman, nothing (even good mundane items) found in an early raided DF, Black Thumb

And for the kicker, after having my mana drained and trying to lead the Chaos archmage out (don't ask me what I was thinking at 2 in the morning) through the trap hallway AWAY from the damn eyes he destroyed me. He had confused me earlier for one turn so I swapped my RoHK for ring of mental stability (somewhat pointless really, as I had ~50 Wi). As he turned the first corner he cast darkness on me, and dropped me from 197 HP to -10 with a freezing blast. I had a white dragon scale mail on that an annihilator ate 100 turns before (whoops!), so switched to normal eternium mail, and forgot to switch back rings for -Cold

What a shame. Next time I'll improved fireball those damn eyes through the wall. Also, if anyone has any tips for finding copious amounts of water I'm all ears - every game I play I end up running low. You'd think the character could pour out useless potions and fill them up at a river

Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    Also, if anyone has any tips for finding copious amounts of water I'm all ears - every game I play I end up running low. You'd think the character could pour out useless potions and fill them up at a river
    Simplest way to have enough water is to not waste it. I typically find more than enough to last the whole game.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    Simplest way to have enough water is to not waste it. I typically find more than enough to last the whole game.
    In a game where you don't get thirsty i still find water a rare and highly rationed resource. what do you use it on to have so much? I bless stat increasing potions, the occasional bundle of scrolls, maybe my main weapon for increased damage vs demons and undead, and a potion on griff's grave. Still only find just about enough. My last good character died with a spare PoGA cuz I couldn't find any water to bless it with. Probably just the RNG that game but i probably only found about 10-12 all game, dying at lvl18

Quote Originally Posted by YourMum View Post
    Probably just the RNG that game but i probably only found about 10-12 all game, dying at lvl18
    10-12 is a lot! Don't bless stat increasing potions until you can truly make use of them (and only bless toughness, strength [iff melee user], willpower [iff magic user / need Conf resistance). Don't bless weapon, for the most part - it's rarely needed and you can find a blessed one with decent damage. Don't use water on Griff's grave. Only bless scrolls of uncursing and identify - and don't do that until you have enough. Do bless POEH from Thrundarr.

I typically do most of my blessing right before TOEF and I normally have anywhere from 2-5 extra holy water then.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)

Also, if anyone has any tips for finding copious amounts of water I'm all ears - every game I play I end up running low. You'd think the character could pour out useless potions and fill them up at a river
    I think you were being too lucky with pickpocketing. I usually get quite a few potions of water from pickpocketing, but I've never seen anything as good as a SoCR or RoDS!

Does the quality of the items you get depend on the pickpocketing skill, or is it purely random?

That was just the cream of the crop of what I stole that game I think I got a few PoGA and other stat potions, and 2-3 PoCC. That wizard had magic fingers

Started another wizard who is lvl 10 and he has already generated 4 or 5 altars, and in PC alone 2 pools, 2 shops (potion shop! Lots and lots of water for me), 2 books of death ray, book of teleport, and an iron amulet which has yet to be identified (crossing my fingers it is an AoLS). Sadly due to the PP bug I have not been pick pocketing at all this game, and I have to admit it is actually kind of nice not doing a-1-direction ad nauseaum.

I always liked the feature in Nethack where you could jump into water to change your potion into potions of water.

It would be nice if you can do something similar in Adom. There is plenty of water all round the world, silly that you can't bottle it, if you have the bottles...

it would be unbalanced..

Quote Originally Posted by hq3473 View Post
    I always liked the feature in Nethack where you could jump into water to change your potion into potions of water.
    How does NetHack balance that? I will never disagree with that not being able to empty your potions of stun recovery and sickness and fill them with water from a river is silly, but it makes sense from a game balancing perspective. Making every potion potential holy water would remove the challenge of using a limited supply of it wisely.
    "And light there be!"

I have always assumed that holy water must be perfectly pure.