Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Newbie questions: corruption, cursed items...

Rangers are a great class with great skillset. Too bad their class powers suck and you need to know how to play with them. Not for beginners IMO.

I would suggest you to try paladins or beast fighters early on. They are good tough melee classes who start with healing skill. For race I recommend dwarves. They are good race for almost any class and they got 'detect traps' skill which should help you out with your trap problems.

For talents you should probably take 'hardy' and then 'tough skin' talents which give you PV. With dwarf you should be able to build tanking power early on and you should be able to continue exploring the game with semi-powerfull character. But dont get reckless.

/edit: And oh! Almost forgot! If you are planning to use beast fighters dont use any weapon. They fight unarmed just like monks. And they are good at it!

ok i've made a dwarfish elementalist and doing quite well so far. (i prefer elementalists over wizards coz they get infinite spells) when should do the keethrax quest? i'm lvl 11 atm, i guess thats a bit too early...

Elementalists doesn't really get infinite castings, but they do get automatic access to a lot of useful spells.
    Keethrax can be a tough SOB, but doesn't quite cope with acid attacks or burning hands IIRC. Being close to him can be bad for your stats, though.
    Suddenly a stream of acid pours down from the ceiling! The cute dog is horribly mutilated by the acidic fluids! The cute dog dies!

If you found Acid Bolt or Magic Missile from a book, go for it. Otherwise, only do it if you're buff enough in melee.

EDIT: Dark elven beastfighter. Accept no substitute.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Necropassion View Post
    Elementalists doesn't really get infinite castings, but they do get automatic access to a lot of useful spells.
    Keethrax can be a tough SOB, but doesn't quite cope with acid attacks or burning hands IIRC. Being close to him can be bad for your stats, though.
    wait a second, are you telling me that i'll eventually run out of castings even as an elementalist? O_o

The knowledge you gain in the elementalist spells isn't unlimited, although it should go plenty around if you arm yourself well and take down the soft targets with melee or missile.
    Each time the elementalist levels up he/she gains more knowledge in existing spells, and sometimes they learn new ones. This can be troublesome when you reach that point in mid-game where you feel like you're the same level forever. That is of course only if you have not developed an alternative way to deal with your common foes.
    Suddenly a stream of acid pours down from the ceiling! The cute dog is horribly mutilated by the acidic fluids! The cute dog dies!

> This can be troublesome when you reach that point in mid-game
    > where you feel like you're the same level forever.

This only happens to PC's that are delaying a trip to the ToEF's.
    It's not a scary place for an elementalist though, and indeed,
    probably even safer than DF by comparison.

> Keethrax can be a tough SOB, but doesn't quite cope with
    > acid attacks or burning hands IIRC

I'm pretty sure he's immune to fire.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    I'm pretty sure he's immune to fire.
    Yup. You're absolutely right. It's been a while since I last did the quest so I just confused him with the 'shrugger types'. Immune to all elements but acid, right?

EDIT: About the ToEF thing - elementalist fire resistant is bugged, no?
    Last edited by Necropassion; 07-13-2009 at 11:11 PM.

i've finally reached the dwarf town, the problem is that im running out of food and the store there doesnt have a plenty to offer, what should i do? i never got that far, i dont want do die yet :'-( should i just descend deeper? or should i have visited some places before that? (pyramid? or maybe assasins guild?)

Try going back up to the arena.
    Your armor weakens, oh my!