Thread: What new features make old classes/races stronger?

Default What new features make old classes/races stronger?

So far in the Resurrection, there has been a huge number of nerfs that make the game harder for any pre-resurrection race/class combo: changes to stat training, radical increase in the number of monsters with special attacks generated, player ghosts...

So, what new features make it easier?
    So far for me, only introduction of rapiers and fencing gloves comes to mind...
    How useful are the new areas?

What are you talking about? The strongest RCs are still (relatively) as strong as ever, and the introduction of nerfs and new RCs hasn't changed that. None of the new races are stronger than the old ones, for example.

I'd say the boost to Tree starsign is one of the bigger changes and I take it quite often.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Guaranteed ring of ice. Change to xp curves means you usually reach the ToEF a couple levels higher. Massive boost to Maze rewards. Gardening is good enough that it's worth it to skip healing if you start with herbalism now. Stealth is awesome. Fletchery is useful. First aid is much better. Summoners massively toned down. Average artifact quality is higher, IMHO. Thunderstroke and True Aim are amazing. Corruption rate is basically negligible. Less food consumption from encumbrance. Platinum girdle much easier to get. Healing potions and power scrolls are much better.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I have to say, the changes to first aid in particular really help a lot of the weakest race/class combinations in the game (namely those with neither spells nor healing) through the early game.
    My orc thief just died.

I have to say, the changes to first aid in particular really help a lot of the weakest race/class combinations in the game
    Definitely. I used to completely ignore First Aid - now, I level it as quickly as possible. It's handy in the early game, and it's even more handy, arguably, in the late game when you're taking big hits, seeing as it seems to restore a (fairly large) percentage of the last hit you took, rather than just restoring a few crappy HP.

It seems to me it's something like 0-100% of the last wound taken. With First aid above 80, you're almost sure to pass the skill test! So assuming the enemy doesn't hit you on coward (very few enemies will), you have pretty much double hitpoints and double health regeneration from all sources. That's *huge*.
    I probably use it most in darkforge, so it's not limited to just the early game.
    My orc thief just died.

First aid was a load o' shite, the HPs restored were pitiful and you had to use it immediately or not at all. Now you can restore 100s (if you get hit that hard) and have a number of turns to use it in, even if you've started to regenerate. Just a shame it's difficult to boost above the 60s and 70s.

The Ice Queen's gaff is great, you can get 2 or 3 levels from killing stuff in her castle and the frost giant caves, even without tackling the guaranteed greater vault. Sucks to be a drakling in there though!

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Guaranteed ring of ice.
    Can you tell me where this is? I am in the habit now of getting the Waterproof Blanket as a precursor to diving to the DD, where is the Roice?

Neutral reward for Dwarven Mystic.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

actually theres two now - there is one in the ice caverns on level 2.