Thread: Not-so-improved fireball

Unhappy Not-so-improved fireball

So after trying out some new race/class combinations, I decide to fall back on one of the classics -- enter Dumblegnor, a proud gnomish wizard.

Dumblegnor decides to brave the small cave and unremarkable dungeon. He finds a blanket, descends into the dungeon, and engages a few lesser vaults of hyenas, gnolls, and orcs. All in all, it's a nice adventure. He arrives at the High Mountain Village a little wiser and quite a formidable spellcaster, having expanded his magical arsenal to include Magic Missile, Burning Hands, Firebolt, Lightning Bolt, Ice Bolt, Ice Ball, and Improved Fireball. He has also upgraded his body armor to mithril ring mail with a cloak of defense, and he carries an adamantium tower shield. He's ready to take on the forces of chaos.

Feeling greedy, Dumblegnor heads back to the dungeon to gather all of those axes and spears left behind by the recently departed orcs and gnolls. While selling them off, he notices Leggot the shopkeeper trying to keep his cool while offering a couple thousand gold for an orcish spear. "That's strange," thinks Dumbly. "Leggot is usually fair, but never so stupidly generous." Taking another look at the spear, 'Gnor gasps. "An orcish spear of devastation!" He imagines how formidable a foe he will be once he trains with his spear. He hurries toward the secret exit and Terinyo to right some wrongs in the eastern reaches of the Drakalor Chain.

First stop: the village dungeon to dispatch Keethrax and his rag-tag band of beasts. With his spear and his spells making easy work of the upper levels of the dungeon, he quickly finds himself face-to-face with Keethrax. Dumblegnor blasts the druid with a few magic missiles, and the battle is over as quickly as it began. He takes account of his wounds -- moderate, but not life-threatening. Aiming to bring the druid's corpse back to Guth'Alak to collect a reward, Dumblegnor readies a firebolt to cook the corpse and preserve it. Standing next to his fallen foe, he mutters the incantation, and without thinking twice, selects his target and fires. As flames envelop him, the last thought to ever cross Dumblegnor's mind is "Wait a minute, firebolt doesn't require target selection..."

This was probably the most bad-ass early game character I've ever had. Meant to cast firebolt, instead cast improved fireball on the tile right next to me. That one stings.

EDIT: Just noticed the hilarious bittersweet message just before I died:
    "You cast an improved fireball.
    You are engulfed by the roaring flames!
    You become more efficient in using the 'Improved Fireball' spell (now +1).
    You die..."
    Last edited by sq_ftw; 07-24-2014 at 05:10 AM.

Oh such a sad tale!