Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What new uses would you like to add for existing skills?

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    - use Metallurgy + Fletchery + Smithing to create higher metal ammo.
    Let me add to that: use Metallurgy + Fletchery + Smithing + Alchemy + Necromancy to create a unique Golem slave. Creating them would automatically alter and fix your name into 'Frankenstein' and add a special message in the log at the end of the game. Doing so on the Metaplane and having him kill AnDoR dRaKoN would make him rebel against you, resulting in a unique death message ('Frankenstein was killed by his own godly creation')

Oh well, maybe I shouldn't spam this thread

Awesome, Joe. Although I'm not sure how fletchery is involved? Is it a golem that can shoot missiles?
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Some of this has already been suggested in one way or another but I'd like to list my proposed improvements anyway:

Alchemy: Knowing the recipes should automatically identify necessary ingredients when they are found, including herbs.
    It should also give the option to apply a potion to a monster instead of throwing the potion at it, like the case with quickling blood potions thrown at slow but powerful necromancer slaves or bard pets or all types of potions of healing used to heal pets or monsters you don't want to die (like bleeding, critically wounded cats). Applying the potion instead of throwing would produce a stronger effect to compensate for the extra actions and risk of going into melee range if the creature is hostile.

Healing: With this skill at 100, there should be a significant reduction of scars appearing due to healing tissue corruption. Gives CKs a bit more incentive to max out the skill asap and benefit from the corruption too instead of losing all of their Dx in a matter of 5k turns when fighting hard-hitting monster.

Listening: At 90-100, this skill should allow to determine which specific *THUMB* monster is on the same level and how many of them if there's more than 1.
    I know you can already tell which monster you're dealing with by the frequency of thumbs but like mentioned above, if there's more than one, you're at a loss.

Tactics: This skill at 90-100 should allow the player to tell the chance to hit of a monster and how much damage it deals just by looking at it, since your tactical sense allows you to identify careful or sudden and violent movements just by looking at a creature.

Woodcraft: This skill always struck me as the most useless in the game and could be greatly improved if it allowed to repair weapons with wooden parts, if the character has a hatchet and wooden sticks/logs in inventory.
    All spears, axes, maces etc. could be repaired using it. No more paying astronomic sums to the dwarven smith for repairing your broken pickaxe.
    This assumes of course that when a pickaxe breaks, it means the wooden part of it is actually broken due to the strain that hitting rock with it puts on the haft.
    I don't see how a pickaxe's metal head can break by hitting a rock, much less digging up a grave.
    Also, you should be able to create wooden shields with this skill, assuming you have a hatchet and maybe some other items as of yet undetermined.
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 08-04-2014 at 09:02 AM.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    It should also give the option to apply a potion to a monster instead of throwing ... ... Applying the potion instead of throwing would produce a stronger effect to compensate for the extra actions and risk of going into melee range if the creature is hostile.
    Are you sure? I'd say skipping the turn it usually takes to replace my missile weapon with a potion would already be too strong, even without a stronger effect.
    Can't wait to start applying the phial of caladriel to humanoid opponents!

Tactics: This skill at 90-100 should allow the player to tell the chance to hit of a monster and how much damage it deals just by looking at it, since your tactical sense allows you to identify careful or sudden and violent movements just by looking at a creature.
    Love it!

Woodcraft: This skill always struck me as the most useless in the game and could be greatly improved if it allowed to repair weapons with wooden parts, if the character has a hatchet and wooden sticks/logs in inventory.
    All spears, axes, maces etc. could be repaired using it. No more paying astronomic sums to the dwarven smith for repairing your broken pickaxe.
    I quite like this as well. I'd say it sounds a bit powerful, but in all fairness when we had the 'indestructible pickaxe' bug a few months ago, it never actually offered that much more game success chance, it just made digging feel a little less of a gold drain!
    My orc thief just died.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    It should also give the option to apply a potion to a monster instead of throwing the potion at it, like the case with quickling blood potions thrown at slow but powerful necromancer slaves or bard pets or all types of potions of healing used to heal pets or monsters you don't want to die (like bleeding, critically wounded cats). Applying the potion instead of throwing would produce a stronger effect to compensate for the extra actions and risk of going into melee range if the creature is hostile.
    Now, Wyrmy, be a good chaos dragon and open your mouth! Look how papa Blasphemous flies this plane filled with incredibly juicy cure corruption jam. Vrooom! Excellent, Wyrmy!
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

To add to the listening idea: higher levels should give you the ability to detect monsters in a room like the stethoscope by (a)applying to the door.
    Gate Closers:
    Dwarf Monk (p17), Dwarf Paladin (p23), Gnome Duelist (r49), Dark Elf Barbarian (r50), High Elf Archer (r51)

Knowledge of metals (metallurgy) should help you find weak points on metal monsters (i.e. steel zombies).