Thread: Not paying attention kills, with a little help from the RNG

Default Not paying attention kills, with a little help from the RNG

Had a candle-born dwarf pally going, lvl 17 and with the RNG on his side in the early game. First sip from a pool gave me a wish and i decided to get the AoLS for Khelly. Few minutes later when I got myself to UD, RNG gave me another present, Skullcrusher with a surge of power. There was also a L aligned altar. Leveled to lvl11 and decided to precrown, and got Cloak of Oman. After a while I got to CoC, and RNG was still being nice, this time giving me Nature's Companion from a surge of power. Yup, 2 surges of power in the same game, can't even remember the last time I got one of those. Did DT stuff, pyramid, GY and ventured deeper into CoC. Reached water level, killed the snake and got the orb, things were looking better and better. On the way to the stairs were some spiderwebs and after getting free of them i just 'w'alked towards the stairs. I noticed my HP going down but instead of stopping for 2 seconds to see what was the problem, I continued to 'w'alk, dieing of poison shortly after. I felt pretty stupid at that point.

Usually at that point poison is not an issue because of potions of cure poison, alraunia or just resistance + regen.
    Sometimes however you get poisoned multiple times and it stacks and becomes a threatening situation because of how rapidly it can eat your HP.

I have recently fought two quickling queens from a single post-DH tension room with a sub-level 40 assassin WITH poison resistance from a corpse.
    Suddenly my 270ish HP started dropping by 30-35 points EACH turn. I had to drink two blessed potions of cure poison to get rid of it after teleporting to a safer part of the level.
    Just 10 turns later both quickling queens found me and poisoned me again. Blessed spenseweed could not counter the amount of poison damage per turn that I was getting.
    I had to retreat upstairs and return with unerring ammo and wand of fireballs because of this.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

About the quickling queens, I had serious problems killing one that was guarding Nature's Companion. I had to go up to DH2, used scroll of familiar summoning which gave me greater fire elemental iirc. Locked the queen and that elemental to same room and came later to see what was the outcome of that fight. Since I haven't used pets before, I didn't know what to expect in that room. That fire elemental gave me pretty wam welcome heh. About the poison, I did eat ASB corpse, does that doom you? Woiuld explain why my HP went down that fast.