Thread: Mist elf + black wizard = bad idea

Default Mist elf + black wizard = bad idea

I finally got a good Mist Elf going. She was a priest, had about 20 spells, found a mithril halberd of slaughtering in the Small Cave, then Celestrix in a surge of power on UD:8. Using Celestrix opportunistically works really well at low experience levels.

So I was level 14, coming back up from DT in search of a Hill Giant, when a Black Wizard starts summoning giant lizards and whatnot. I thoughtlessly fought my way through to melee range, upon which he summoned 5 fire vortices! I could swear they got the first turn upon summoning (i.e. I didn't have a chance to react) but maybe I just went too fast. Two quick explosions and I was at -9 (41)...I even had a scroll of teleportation that could have saved my bacon.

Lesson learned: black wizards are sort of puny, but every now and again they really screw you.

Pity it wasn't lightning vortices! Did you not have any fire resistance at all or was it just not enough?

Black wizards in the wilderness can be really bad news unless you can kill them really quickly - easy to get surrounded with potentially pretty tough opponents. I've lost promising characters to summoned dark orcs, ettins and the like.

Celestrix is cool though, especially to find so early. My last winner got it around level 18 from the frost giant caves and wore it pretty much all the time until the corruption got too much at around D:40. Just remember to take it off when you need a bit of luck.
    Gate closers: L+ DE Mindcrafter (p20), N= Gnomish Assasin (p20), N= Gnomish Mindcrafter (p23), N= Ratling Ranger (R49)