Thread: 27 lvl DE mindcrafter VS great red wyrm

Default 27 lvl DE mindcrafter VS great red wyrm

A DE mindcrafter, my first character who advanced that far without savescumming , was killed recently in a greater vault of the frost giants by a great red wyrm. I was so disappointed that didn't got the memo page.

The beginning was a peace of cake. Found a natural altar in the puppy's cavernous room. Got precrowned with the Trusted One. That gave me no worry of nasty stuff like ghuls, mimics, gorgons etc. With a beggar as the first victim, I was hoping to save Khelavaster. I went to the UD after completing the puppy and healer quests. First tough moment was in SMC. Got the blanket pretty fast, but didn't find the exit for a long time. Among other bad guys, green worms started breeding. Had to use \oDigg to get to the last unexplored room and \oAcid to fight a skeletal warrior. No problems in UD and CoC till DT. Got a quest to kill another skeletal warrior. Got to the level before DH with no luck. Then grinded for a while in the big room. Than got annoyed and went to ToHK. Found a skeletal warrior on the first level, lol.

Was in a short of !oW so grinded the Big Room for a while also was looking for a way to save Khelavaster. Then grinded the cavernous level in PC. While grinding got bows, Xbows and thrown knives via a pair of returning daggers to lvl 7. I had some great fun in the DH. The only little threat was a black unicorn. I believe the char was lvl 15 by then. Cleared the Dark Forge - no problem at all. At some point I got an adamantium sword of mayhem, used it to fight high PV enemies. No luck in the pools of DF. Tried to kill animated trees with a wand of far slaying - not a perfect idea since there still lots of trees so you can't get the loot conveniently. So grinded the caves in ToHK. Got ring of immunity and the Nature's Companion.

Then I went to the Ice Queen, and to headed to slay the jarl. In the vault I meleed confused red dragons including the ancient ones with a bit of speedsweet. GMB worked really cool. The char was lvl 27 by than to with DV/PV 75/45 and speed of about 130. I tried to kill the wyrm with slaying ammo, made it halfway. Sadly I had no dragon slaying ammo. Then it engaged me in melee. Sadly I've forgot about the scroll of teleport and the Phial. I attempted to confuse it while wearing all my Wi+ gear. I had Wi 49 but that was no enough. In two turns my char was pretty dead. At last now I know that one should not try melee a great red wyrm with a lvl 27 mindcrafter.

Great red wyrms, especially those in greater vaults are *extremely* dangerous. I've had a monk with 70 pv and 400 HP dropped to 1 HP in a single turn by one such wyrm on D:45.
    On a side note, wyrms have a nice tracking ability so the best way for an MC to deal with them is make them notice you, then wait for a few turns so they can exit the crowd and you can face it one vs one with plenty of room for escape.
    Also, you could have waited till level 30 to get greater telekinetic blast. It would have made the fight trivial :P
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I wonder how much Wi should one have to use telepathic attacks on a great wyrm

What you had was enough, it's just that sometimes it needs 2-3 attempts before the confusion successfully kicks in.
    Greater wyrms themselves have confusing attacks so it's reasonable to assume they are resistant to similar attacks directed against them.
    I believe a mindcrafter of mine did it with ~30 willpower, it just took several attempts.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."