Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts about one-time casting of wish spell.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    The reason I do not (normally) use a one-time wish has nothing to do with the stat loss and everything with the amount of HP and mana you need to survive it.

And sometimes you do really need something in the endgame. Or in the midgame!

Wishes have enormously diminishing value.
    Exactly. Exactly. Exactly.

i think if i can guaranteedly get a wish with a random 10 stat loss on my character there are multiple games ill use it...especially if it can help me kill ACW with a weak character when a normal fight will with a reasonable chance have ME killed instead. now you can say 'well you can grind in cavernous levels till you get a good inventory'..but sometimes i dont want to grind!! i just saved/stopped playing a game because after 60 BDs killed i havent found a SINGLE corpse...thats the kind of patience i have!!

I agree it would be nice if the requirements and/or penalties for casting Wish were reduced a little.
    Assuming you find the book, and get the spell knowledge over 100, I would like a L40 wizard or priest to be able to cast the spell without killing themselves. It should be a stretch, but possible, for example, by hoarding potions of boost mana and scrolls of power, wielding Mana-boosting items, waiting for Silvernight, and so on.
    I think I've only had one character ever who could have survived casting Wish from memory, and by the time he was there he had already won the game.

Granting a Wish is the prerogative of djinns and other supernatural forces from beyond the veil. For a mere mortal to tap into that power even for one fleeting moment is virtually unheard of. Dabbling with powers beyond one's place takes a real, physical toll on one's very being.

The stat penalty makes complete sense thematically. There is no compelling reason to remove it I can see. If you don't need the thing you're wishing for bad enough that you will accept the stat penalty as the cost of doing business, you don't need the wish.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Wish is just a spell and wizards know it. They're the ones most likely to cast it in the first place, you don't need any supernatural beings for that.
    Still, I get where you're going with this line of thought Silfir but we're kind of encroaching on TB's storytelling territory and usurping his right of lore that pertains to the world he created.
    He'd have to address this first, otherwise your explanation is as good as mine.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Wish is "just a spell"?

Is that why it's the only spell with a stat penalty on resolution and is almost impossible to learn and cast? Those things are just coincidental, and drawing any kind of conclusion from them as far as the place of the Wish spell in the world goes is encroaching on TB's storytelling territory?

If you're going to discuss the Wish spell, you can't just restrict yourself to game balance considerations - Wish is completely and utterly irrelevant to game balance. (At least not until your suggestion is aimed at making actually practical to cast - which would be a terrible idea.) You could double the stat penalty and it wouldn't change a thing. Barely anyone can cast it in the first place, and those that do either don't need to or they need to badly enough that the stat penalty is irrelevant. Wish exists solely for flavor. If you can't discuss flavor, there is no point to discussing Wish at all.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

wish isn't even listed as a spell in the manual

it is meant to be a rare and exciting thing. the spell is an extra chance at it, not just a supped-up item creation spell (which, btw is pretty costly itself considering it just gives you a leather cap or such 99% of the time)
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."