Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Save me from myself.

Default Save me from myself.

I typed up a full page of explaniation for thus and to be honest anyone reading it would have throught I was doing more complaining then explaining 14 years of being pissed with this game. I'll shorten all that to saying I love this game and have loved it for a long time. I need to know one thing.

How do you learn enough to beat this game? I have a full time + job and a wife here but the 13 year old in me still wants to beat this thing and so far it only gets harder. I have moved forward a lot in the last 6 months, since I decided to spoil myself silly, but even that isn't getting it right and I feel like the game is so unfair I can't beat it. That clearly isn't the case so being that I'm 100% ok with being spoiled to the max what the hell can I do to beat this freaking game?

What sort of r/c do you usually play? What's your usual plan, what do you do first etc? Where do you usually get stuck?
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I have the most success with dwarf pallys normally. I find they are hard enough for melee in the early stages to survive well and learn enough spells later in the game to add a lot of useful ability to the class. I used to love orc barbs but I got real sick of trying to teach them to read before the latest versions of the game fixed the quest that would get me there for sure. I just haven't gone back to them because the pallys have been very nice to me in the past. In truth I can get most of the common race/class combos to around the same point in the game, but I have read over and over again that the two classes I mentioned are some of the best for a new player and despite the years I have played the game I haven't moved far enough forward to think of myself as a player of any more quality than a new player.

With the barb and pally characters I go through the SMC to HMV (I really hope I'm getting all these names and such right, playing solo for years the names didn't matter as much as the path to them). I have found this game to be almost unbearable without that water proof blanket so I make it a point to get to that if I can. If I can't normally I lose because I had to cross some water somewhere and lost half my gear to rust related damages shortly there after.

I normally go the the arena there after to collect as much cooked lizard as I can get my hands on. Then I go back around to complete the quest I picked to gain either healing or herbs depending on which my character needs. Barbs start with herbs, my pallys with healing so I'm used to completing both quest. If the barbs already need it sometimes I go get healing before I get food, but normally I find if I get through the first dungeon I'm more than ok to get to the arena before I have to worry about healing.

After I complete the healing/herb quest I kill the cop or crime lord depending on class again. This is another one I'm very good at timing and rarely have a problem with.

Then back to the main dungeon and the arena, normally I do the first 15 or so fights without issue and take that money to DT where I'll sell what I don't need and sacrifice enough gold and such to be able to make holy water at least. My chaotic characters might pre-crown before I reach this point with live sacrifices on random altars. If I'm not chaotic the first altar I tend to see that I can use if the one in DT. (Converting altars is something I believe it entirely too hard for this game given how important they really are to this game)

I'll knock out the quest in DT at this point. While I find going through the LF the most annoying thing in the game only the patience required challenges me. If I feel good about it I'll do the master of the arena, dwarf graveyard, and pyramid all in one move before going any further.

That is all pretty normal for me. Sometimes I run into something along the way that randomly kills me before I complete all this but I think that is normal and completely ok for the most part.

I normally get killed on the way to the water temple or in it. So far as I know that should really be the next stop. I haven't tried to new ice queen stuff (or whatever that is, I really haven't read into it enough to know, only enough to know I have to be lvl 15 to get in and cold damage is a problem but I haven't played with it). That looks to fill a gap in my progress if I understand right, but it also looks like a lot more complication I'm not ready for. With a few characters I have gone to get the ring of the high kings at this point and normally that gets me killed too. I can't get to the door, open it, and get off the damned bridge before I get thrown into those very mean fish.

I can't seem to do enough damage to finish off the boss in the water temple before I'm out of most of my consumable solutions to common problems. I'll leave there with no PP, no healing potions, no arrows and half dead most of the time if I leave at all. I've even skipped it before and come back to it only after being told I had to complete the fire temple to move further forward so I know it has to be something I'm doing wrong.

Aside from the advice that might lead to I could use some help with some other things as well. For example: there are games that I can't get enough arrows at all. I've tried milking monsters that will feed me arrows or rocks, or abusing traps but I often end up throwing random things at karmic lizards or trying to run from them and normally I end up having to hope for a creative cure to the woes they bring with them. Should I ever hit one I die VERY fast because I can't get to an altar and find enough to sacrifice to take the bad luck and all off.

Learning the best methods to identify items of higher quality in the game has helped a bit, but if you can't read, or you can't get to an altar to learn if these items are cursed using them gets risky as hell fast. If you have a character that can't do either this game becomes a total crap shoot. It doesn't do me much good to know I just picked up SLB if I can't get the cursed mithril ones I just put on off. Now I'm carrying extra items in hopes that I will find a solution that I don't normally get to. I spend a lot of time burdened with tons of arrows and no bow, or 100 torches with nothing to set them on fire.

I can't seem to get to a place where herbs are really useful for me. Every game I have seen played that ended in a win always uses herbs to a point I would call abuse. I can use healing herbs well, and I have a spread sheet because I can't remember what they all do and I have to go back to them all the time. When I get a character with a good herb skill I'm normally missing an altar with which to judge their C/U/B status and as such can't really use them well. Even with everything going my way I don't get the stat increases that are always a feature in the winning games I see.

I'm rambling a bit, but I hope there is something in there you can help me with that will help me move forward a little more. Either way, thanks for trying man. I'm going to start the game up and look to learn a little more.

Dont get discouraged! You seem like you are really on your way to win. Honestly, dwarf pallys are good for early survival but lack in mid-late game damage, unless you are crowned with justifier. I would say always get crowned before you hit the water temple because the artifact reward is a huge boost. That's strange that the snake is giving you lots of trouble. How are you completing the graveyard quests? Depending how you do it, the rewards are excellent. I usually use a wand of fireballs on the snake. You have many more challenges ahead of you, but quite honestly if you are getting to the snake consistently you should be well versed to take on the rest of the game.
    Gate Closers:
    Dwarf Monk (p17), Dwarf Paladin (p23), Gnome Duelist (r49), Dark Elf Barbarian (r50), High Elf Archer (r51)

How do I help my chances of getting crowned? I've done it, and with increasing regularity, but whats my best shot at making sure it happens every game with a dwarf pally?

Sacrificing large amounts of monsters (or gold or artifacts you don't need) is the fastest way to get precrowned and crowned. Since you have no problem spoiling yourself look up the requirements for level (need to be at least 8 plus 3 for every artifact generated thus far, can't be of extreme alignment such as L+, N=, C-). Each successive precrowning takes more and more piety so going for more than 2 is an enormous expenditure of game time, real time, and effort.

While crowning is one of 6 possible items (IIRC) for each separate class, precrowning can be nearly any non-guaranteed artifact in the game. It's a complete crapshoot as to whether or not it will be useful, although I find more often than not it is. There are a few that are so good they are near game breaking. Preserver, Bracers of War, Executor, Suns Messenger, Ring of Immunity, Protector. To name a few. And many others that are good enough to be a huge upgrade to whatever you have at the time.

I think getting one precrowning is relatively easy if you find an altar in the right place, and 2 is doable, while 3 or more is borderline inefficient unless there are special circumstances. Like an altar generated in the SMC (high monster generation) or the big room in either the puppy cave or tomb of the high king.

So at least 2 artifacts you should be getting, plus the guaranteed ones and ones you find randomly in shops or loot piles. You can win without using a single artifact but they are so powerful.

Herbs are simple.

http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Herbs

Use 4 at a time each of morgia/mareilon to boost your stats - dex, toughness, and willpower.

Use Stomacemptia if you have a bunch of stat boosting corpses you want to eat before they rot away. Like giants/trolls/ogres, dragons, lizards, maybe claw bugs or minotaurs if you don't care about willpower.

Alrunia if poisoned. Curaria if diseased.

Stomafilia for sacrificing on altar or eating.

After you have picked a huge pile, you can read a blessed scroll of uncursing to at least bring all the cursed ones up to uncursed. Depending on your needs you may then wish to bless a stack by dipping them into a potion of holy water. Although other things take a higher priority for holy water use.

Like blessing your main weapon (makes it more resistant to item destruction and adds +50% damage to undead and demons) and potions of stat, slaying ammo, piles of scrolls of identify

Early game order spoiler:

Water Temple spoiler:

Tomb of the High Kings spoiler:

Ammunition spoiler:

Identify spoiler:

Hope that helps you a little. All the best for your future runs! :-)
    Last edited by GordonOverkill; 10-27-2014 at 06:37 AM.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Tip one: make sure you get teleport control and the wand of teleportation as early as you can. This is extremely important.

Snake from beyond: as Gordon said. Throw a potion of cure poison. Also, offensive wands work very well. The snake is bad at shrugging bolts. A wand of trap creation works well too, because the snake is bad at dodging traps too.

If you still have trouble, throw a potion of cure corruption at the snake. That will weaken him so much that the fight should be trivial.

Make sure you are not burdened in big fights, like against the snake. Being burdened slows you down, which makes it harder to avoid being hit. Personally I hate being burdened and I dump any items that I don't really need as soon as I can, especially if they're heavy. But you can also leave big item piles on the stairs of the previous level when you're doing something difficult like the water temple.

Quote Originally Posted by melphen View Post
    How do I help my chances of getting crowned?
    Sacrificing gold is one of the best ways to gain piety for anyone, but for dwarves this is even more true. Your god loves gold and you are guaranteed to get good prices from Waldenbrook. Get the dwarven rune axe, sell it and sac the gold. That alone will be nearly enough to get crowned.

One more tip. For melee characters like paladins and barbarians I can heartily recommend the PV talents. Especially for a dwarf. Get them all, including immune to pain. It makes a big difference.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 10-27-2014 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkittredge View Post
    While crowning is one of 6 possible items (IIRC) for each separate class, precrowning can be nearly any non-guaranteed artifact in the game. It's a complete crapshoot as to whether or not it will be useful, although I find more often than not it is. There are a few that are so good they are near game breaking. Preserver, Bracers of War, Executor, Suns Messenger, Ring of Immunity, Protector. To name a few. And many others that are good enough to be a huge upgrade to whatever you have at the time.

I think getting one precrowning is relatively easy if you find an altar in the right place, and 2 is doable, while 3 or more is borderline inefficient unless there are special circumstances. Like an altar generated in the SMC (high monster generation) or the big room in either the puppy cave or tomb of the high king.
    In my opinion even the first precrowning is too much hassle unless I happen to get an altar on a level with a bee hive or anthill. More than one precrowning is something I haven't done in years.

As a paladin or barbarian especially, I just want my crowning gift as soon as I can. It's guaranteed to be good. Precrownings are a crapshoot indeed. More than half the time you get something worthless. And spending a very long time on a cavernous level with an altar to generate a precrown is both tedious and dangerous. You generate mountains of summoned creatures that you can't sacrifice and occasionally something really bad will spawn. The black tome isn't worth it.