Thread: Any way to tame raging pets?

Default Any way to tame raging pets?

"Paddington, the cave bear, decides to fight to the death in a blind rage!"

Threw a couple of !oEH at him and played a lot of tunes, but no luck The worst part is that I'd spent the whole time being paranoid about traps, then just didn't notice that he was injured. He'd seen off the Skeletal King and his summons with the usual aplomb, then we were just checking around to make sure there was nothing about before making the bridge when rage hit. Managed to escape thus far whilst trying to tame/heal him.

Code:
      ###########      ###########                              ######### #########
     ##.........#      #.........################################.......###.......#
     #..........#      #.....................................*....................##
     #.>........########.........###############################(........#.[.......#
     #...........................#                           #.....................#
     ###.......##########.......##                           #.%.........#.........#
       ###..F###        ###...###                            #..^.......###.......##
       ###...#####     #######################################..........# #.......#
       #....]....#     #.................................*............### ###...###
      ##.....N...#    ##.#####################################.########   #.......#
      #..........#  ###...###     ###...###                  #.#         ##.......##
      #......*o..# ##.......#     #.......##########         #.#         #.........#
       ...k......# #........##   ##.......##.......##        #.#         #.........#
       #.......#.###.........#####.........#........##########.###########.........#
        ...*...#...........................#......................................##
          ...#######.........#####....<....#.........######################.......#
            #      #........##   #........##.........#                    ###...###
                   ##.......#    ##.......##.........#                      #####
                    ###...###     ###...#####.......##
                      #####         #####   #########
    Prince III    St:21  Le:18  Wi:26  Dx:18  To:25  Ch: 8  Ap:16  Ma:18  Pe:17        N-
    DV/PV: 82/25   H: -154(61)    P: 14(14)      Exp: 1/23                 UC: 4 Sp: 96
    Invisible Satiated Strained Coward
    Dwarven bard. Ah well, let's roll again...
    Gate closers: L+ DE Mindcrafter (p20), N= Gnomish Assasin (p20), N= Gnomish Mindcrafter (p23), N= Ratling Ranger (R49)

From my experience, pacifying hostile-turned pets is the same roll as taming new ones. I did it many times after setting off traps and it seemed to work the same way.

I assume you were doing some kind of a level 1 challenge? Otherwise it's definitely mandatory in my opinion to get Music skill to 100 as soon as possible with the first few levels.

Often bards start with a Music skill that is insufficient to tame a large bat within ten rounds, so it may give players a sense of false comfort that they start with a tame powerful pet.

If you want to stay at level 1 and thus can't quickly raise your Music skill, I'd suggest testing it early on with rats and bats, so you get an idea about your success rate. There are additional minor influences (definitely Charisma, allegedly instrument weight/status), but Music skill is the most important.

Interesting. I tried at least ten times with no effect. Playing to random animals was pretty much guaranteed to calm on the first go, so I wonder if the blind rage state is different to just hostile? Music was at 100, but my Ch sucked, granted.

Looking back I should have tried keeping him at a distance - IME panicked monsters revert to normal after a while, so maybe my bear would have been the same. Or I could have run away and trained up a new pet, or kept him stunned/webbed while I played to him, or many other things.

Yes, it's a pacifist man challenge. Didn't seriously expect to get very far but it's really fun trying - this was only my third try (discounting a few very early quits/deaths). Dwarven graveyard was fun - apparently my bear is afraid of the undead.
    Gate closers: L+ DE Mindcrafter (p20), N= Gnomish Assasin (p20), N= Gnomish Mindcrafter (p23), N= Ratling Ranger (R49)

Oh, then I'm quite sure it's the blind rage that was responsible. Low Charisma is usually fine if Music skill is maxed.
    This is worth testing, thematically it would make sense that a monster in that state won't notice music anymore.

Another trick would be creating a door and playing the music through it. Don't know if cave bears are able to smash doors, though.